USL v NASL - Who will prevail in 2011?

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by ckh1, Mar 9, 2010.

1. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    USL v NASL - Who will prevail in 2010 ?

Puerto Rico United (USLPRO) - PR Islanders (NASL) 0 - 4

2. bartleby

bartleby Red Card

Nov 22, 2010
    interesting...how would federations run the league differently

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    For instance, the USSF could mix all PDL and NPSL teams and create more regional divisions so more rivalries and less travel expenses at D4 level

Also, the new Orlando team (as former D2 team) would probably prefer D2 soccer in a league with the Rowdies and the Strikers over D3 soccer

4. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, evidence suggests otherwise. They got their pick, and they made it.

5. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Theres also a PRI 3-0 PRU earlier in the month, the semifinals of this cup are River PR (USLPro) vs Sevilla (USLPro); Islanders (NASL) vs Mayaguez, so it look like there going to be a USLPro vs NASL final. The Champion and runner-up get a spot in the CFUCC which is the Caribbean qualifiers for the CONCAChampions, Islanders are already in for being the champions last year.

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the NASL has mentioned trying to compete with MLS before.

7. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the USL has been claiming to be the second highest level of soccer after MLS. And no one gets along.

So what?

8. lugger

lugger Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    NASL: FC edmonton? are you serious? why the heck would you have one random team out in the West? seriously this idea was not thought out at all. The NASL and USL need to end their dispute by letting one of them and just keep in the East. Other than minnesota and St. Louis there really arent any teams out in the West.

now, there could be a league that could have teams out in the West (NASL)
    and then have teams from the East (USL)
    though the USL would be pretty big if the two leagues combined...

9. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    This is actually a feeder team for Vancouver. It's owned, either partially or fully by the same group that runs the MLS Whitecaps (to the best of my knowledge).

So it makes sense to have a team way out west.

There is also talk of expanding the league out west, San Antonio in 2012 and possibly Austin as well. I've heard rumors that Portland and Seattle may want to start "feeder teams" in the NASL but that is just a rumor and not confirmed.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the point of this thread? Aren't both going to survive in 2011?

Its like asking who is going to win, McDs or BK? They are both everywhere and will kill you!

11. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, FC Edmonton is separate from the Whitecaps. They have no relationship.

12. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    First of all those sides broke away from the USL, because they got sick and tired of having their bank accounts empted by USL for 3/4 of a Million Dollars every single year without a single ounce of help to be considered second division.

And how many sides kept on relegating themselves to 3rd Division and PDL because of the high demands by USL, too many. That's why the NASL was created. If USL would've worked together with some of these sides who broke away, then everything would've been fine and that mess last off-season would never happen.

I'm upset at the USL because they created a problem that should never have happened. They accepted the money and decided to go all high and mighty with that great old saying "It's either Our way, or the Highway." And to be fair they continue to act like that with Papadakis running the show as well.

I was defending the USL a long time ago about the whole Pro/Rel argument when most of the MLS posters were saying that MLS should create 2nd division and have their own Pro/Rel situation when everyone knows MLS doesn't want to be bothered with that. I kept saying USL and MLS needs to make it work sometime in the future.

Now after what's been happening for the last two years including this past year with the last off-season as well, USL has shown their true colors. Green for Greed. No matter how much they revamp Division 3 into this USL Pro, it will still be an annual fee every single damn year. Last I checked, I don't think any club in any league outside of Canada & USA has to pay an annual fee to have the right as a member of whatever division in whatever football league there is.

I know that MLS wants $40 Million US Dollars for expansion sides & the NASL wants $750,000 for an expansion sides as well. The difference is that it's only a one time offer. USL continues to do so every single year regardless of how much they charge their Professional sides.

13. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, when those teams left USL they "broke away" and now that Rochester is going back to USL, USL "stole" the team? I don't get it. You can't have it both ways. I understand you want to vilify the USL, but Rochester leaving NASL is no different than them leaving USL last year. Maybe Rochester didn't want the huge travel costs associated with NASL. Maybe they didn't like the direction they were going; Charleston sure didn't like the NASL plan and they're doing well in USL2.

I get that you don't like USL and that's fine. It plays into your storyline of lower league soccer here in the US. I don't think USL is great, either. My problem is people who think NASL is just this godsend to American soccer. It's not going to make that big of a difference. The USL was an easy scapegoat for team's problems. Miami used the league as an excuse for them struggling to get four figures to their games. The league didn't fail, Traffic failed. Hell, one of the flagship NASL franchises is dead in the water. Is that Tim Holt's fault?

USL is by no means a great or good organization, but that doesn't mean NASL is just because they're against the USL.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just sick of the "USL stole Rochester" talk when nobody was saying NASL stole Rochester last year. It's hypocritical.

14. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    But who are the hypocrits first? USL. Listen, I never wanted to do the finger pointing of what's going on in the lower levels myself. But sadly the USL finds a way to get these things to happen. I never said the NASL is a godsend, they are trying to do something that USL hasn't done for the last decade or so. Stability. That's all we need right now in the lower levels is stability. Look at what happened to the Cleveland City Stars situation. Or that San Fran club that had the partnership with Deportivo La Coruna of La Liga in Spain.

At the same time the NASL needs a chance to get stronger and build up Second Division. If the USL didn't have to pull these tricks, I wouldn't be this angry with them. But they do.

All I hope and pray for is both NASL & USL making this thing finally work. If the USL learns their lesson from their problems of the last off-season, then I can finally turnaround and say, "Look at how good these things are working". A partnership can finally be strung with all three pro leagues in US Soccer, instead of going after each others throats.

Till that day comes, I don't know what's going to happen. Instead of fighting against each other, they should work with each other. But I hate to say it, I don't trust the USL right now.

15. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who owns a USL franchise?.....case closed.

16. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If was Deportivo Alaves, and the parent club ran into massive financial trouble when their wealthy owner Dmitry Pietrman left suddenly and took all his money with him, so obviously California Victory was a casualty. How was that USL's fault?

17. Nicholas Murray

Nicholas Murray New Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Phil Rawlins
    Andrew Bell
    Rob Clark
    Rob Ukrop
    Bill Rudisill
    Eric Pettis

Case re-opened.

18. Seaside

Seaside Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Damn those stupid owners that continue to pay those annual fees to USL! What are they thinking?

You act as though USL's holding a gun to their heads... It goes both ways. If club owners don't see the value in paying the annual fees they don't have to. None of them are tied into a commitment to the league for any longer than a year...

19. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And nobody ever blames the failings of ACSTL and CPB on NASL.

20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I cannot believe that owners pay 750,000 US annual fee to the USL, is this really true?

21. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that's not true

22. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $750000 was the franchise fee (only increased in the last few years). the annual fee I believe was closer to $15k from what I can remember (looking for a link to back that up)

I would imagine the franchise fee is now less for USL Pro

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Marcos owns the teams.

24. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can keep saying that but it doesnt make it true.

USL is a league owned by Papadakis, marcos used to own it but sold it a few years ago to Umbro. Umbro was bought out by Nike and Nike sold it to Papadakis last year.

Clubs are owned by individuals or groups of investors. There are about 120 Pro, PDL and W-league teams that all have there own owners. That doesn't include Super-Y teams; there are more than 100 of them.

25. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Since when did little things like facts and accuracy stop WhiteStar Warriors from forming another crackpot 'the sky is falling' conspiracy theory?