USL Stadium news

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Sporting Real, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Hopefully it's actual seats and not bleachers like the drawings impy. We're looking forward to taking a trip out there once it's done.

4. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some more renderings make it look like a mix:

[​IMG]

QuietType repped this.
  5. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terraces! Demand Terraces!

6. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't forget the roof!

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, though, Harrisburg's facility has been a trouble spot for USL Pro for a bit now. With Dayton apparently making a commitment to facility upgrades (though it's still a high school football stadium, so come on now) thinks appear to be improving, little by little.

Blando13 and thomas19064 repped this.
  8. thejamootz

thejamootz New Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Pickerington, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dayton at least claims that they're planning to build a stadium.

It seems like something that wouldn't be terribly difficult if they really wanted to get it done - no municipality is going to build it for them, and when you're drawing less than 900 fans a game, the NIMBYs don't have much of a case against your facility.

So on one hand, I take it with a grain of salt. On the other hand, they have to be losing substantial piles of cash in USL Pro, and there's no reason to stay in business unless they have a plan to stop losing substantial piles of cash.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was in November. And while they did say when this latest (30-year?) deal was announced that they would "continue searching for a stadium site in the area" that "might take two to three years," I'd take the over. These things take a while. And they have a big incentive to stay put (or at least not a huge incentive to build their own yard, especially with the level of interest and the size of their market).

By the way, who signs a 30-year deal with any minor-league soccer team? They're not all going to be Charleston or Richmond.

The thing about NIMBYs....they always find a way. They don't have to be rational.

I'm not sure they're spending a substantial pile of cash, much less losing it. Their pro team has seemed to have been an afterthought behind their academy system. They surely have yet to show that they can sustain good results (16-35-23 in three years, though they did make the playoffs last year) and draw crowds (712 per game over the three years). I would venture a guess they're one of the lower-spending teams in the league.

10. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to put words in their mouths (or articles) for the DDL, but maybe the 30-year deal was partially for their academy system too? They have already helped install new grass fields on the same site too.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well could be.

But ask yourself who the owners are and where they would have come up with the wherewithal to own all these teams?

12. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do believe that Houston Dutch Lions are owned by a different owner than Cincinnati and Dayton. They are all just affiliates of each other. May not make it that much more understandable, but it's at least one less team under the ownership umbrella.

With that said, if someone wants to own some soccer teams, so be it! :) I'm not going to complain with the more soccer I can watch and engulf myself in. I do hope it continues and is sustainable...

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saying...wasn't it two former Division II players who own Dayton? Like, guys who didn't make Beckham-type money during their careers?

14. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you were saying.

I also don't know they do (career-wise, investment-wise, or even inheritance-wise) in Holland. I do think some of the ownership played DI at Xavier (unless they were a different affiliation when playing there).

There's a lot of different ways to make money and I am not the type of person (not saying you are, or anyone who is) who will wonder where money is coming from, especially when it pertains to investing in the beautiful game. I just like seeing the growth and hope the growth is sustainable.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely.

But...don't you ever wonder "How can someone afford this?"

I mean, that's just reasonable, isn't it?

16. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, by no means am I saying it isn't reasonable...I just don't think of it really.

It's just something I don't do. I mean, there's a lot of money out there -- I don't have any of it. So, it's usually something I don't think about because I'll never be at any point to even think about how much money it takes to do any number of things. People make their money a variety of ways, I'm happy for them (and even envy them at times).