USL Sacramento - building local support

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by techguy9707, Feb 1, 2013.

1. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    Looks like I have my reading list for my lunch break!

3. quakesfan209

quakesfan209 Member

Nov 17, 2004
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think the supporters group name should be based on something specific to the region. Because if it is based on the teams name (or something else that could change) and then the team rebrands then it might lose it's meaning like what happened with the Casbah and the San Jose Earthquakes (Clash). That's just my two cents

proud smurf repped this.
  4. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True; this is why I like "Sac City Soldiers" or "Sutter's Soldiers" better. Gives the same feel but isn't so similar (though I'm sure there are SGs out there who use "Soldiers").

Bosnian Diamond repped this.
  5. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Also, a tiny tidbit, Sac City Soldiers rolls off the tongue pretty well.

QuietType repped this.
  6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a tiny bit of advice. When naming the Sons of Ben in Philly, we started with Sam's Army as a template then removed the military references and switched moniker to local hero. Hope that helps.

7. ThePrince

ThePrince New Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sutter's Stalwarts?

8. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been mentioned often in this and other forums that Sacramento will be the largest media market in the country without a major sports team should the Kings move. But Sacramento really has no major collegiate programs in the immediate area, either. Do you realize in every other major market ranked higher than Sacramento, there is at least one major sports team AND at least one major college football or basketball program within the immediate metropolitan area? Tampa (and Orlando for that matter) might not have a major collegiate program any closer than Berkeley is to Sac, unless you count UCF. But, they have NHL (Tampa), NBA (Orlando) & MLB (Tampa) teams. Not to mention NASL and USLPro franchises in Tampa.

Sac State plays division 1-AA football, as does UC Davis. These school's basketball programs get almost no traction outside of the student body. Outside of AAA baseball, there will be an absolute dearth of sports viewing options in Sac should the Kings move. What a golden opportunity for USL and/or MLS.

krudmonk and QuietType repped this.
  9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm going to throw another supporters group name option out there. We all know the 49ers came to California looking for gold. But did you know the 49ers other nickname?

Argonauts

Everyone around here loves the Gold Rush. That's part of the identity here. Not everyone is so big on Sutter himself. (Here's the controversy -- he is said to have enslaved Indians.)

I wouldn't name the team the Argonauts, but I could see naming the supporters the Argonauts. It's a Gold Rush reference, an ancient Greek reference, and as a figure of speech today it basically just means an adventurer.

QuietType and quakesfan209 repped this.
  10. quakesfan209

quakesfan209 Member

Nov 17, 2004
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QuietType repped this.
  11. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    Sooo... stay away from the Goethe name? (nazi) JK

Thanks for the suggestions.

12. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Argonauts, definitely a keeper for the conversation. Good point about Sutter. He was a historic figure in getting Sacramento established, but at the same time he was an a-hole by many of today's standards.

13. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    Getting close to 100 likes on the Facebook page. Making progress. I am going to be out of town this week so it may be a little quieter... but I have the opportunity to meet with soccer specific vendors at the conference.

QuietType, Bosnian Diamond and markmcf8 repped this.
  14. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW ! your commiment to get this thing going really impress me, the only one person I know with this kind of commitment is the 1906 Ultras leader, who basically work his ass off 24/7 for the group.

Again, let me put myself at your services if is there anything you may think I can help you with.

15. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    I will definitely be talking with you as we progress. You come highly recommended yourself. I figured someone needed to get the ball rolling in a positive direction. I have so much to learn about this process but I am confident we will have a good product. It may take longer than some people want but we need to be sure we get the support required. One thing I am hoping is that we can have one unified voice.

Just look at what is happening with the Sacramento Kings. I know some people are saying goodbye while others are hoping for a rejuvenated ownership group in Sacramento. Either way, whether you support the Kings or not, the passion of a unified "fan" voice cannot be ignored. I just hope we can get something like this with the soccer team. Sacramento has proven its fans care about sports in the community. Sacramento has has a large number of teams in a wide range of sports and all of the teams have been very well supported. I don't have the numbers but look back at the River Cats, Surge, Gold Miners, Knights, Monarchs and other "minor league" teams. Sacramento has supported these teams very well.

Data From Wikipedia
    Surge attendance 15,126 -21,409 at Hughes Stadium in 1992
    Gold Miners "In 1993 the average home attendance was 16,979"
    Sacramento Knights Avg in 1996: 7,195
    River Cats: Sacramento has led all of minor league baseball in attendance during each of its first eight seasons at Raley Field. The team averaged approximately 10,000 fans per game during the 2007 regular season, for a total attendance figure of 710,235.[3] In 2012, Forbes listed the River Cats as the most valuable team in all of Minor League Baseball.[4

QuietType and Bosnian Diamond repped this.
  16. AlexNUFC

AlexNUFC New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Sutter's Firm?

But if were staying away from Sutter then I like Argonauts.

17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This last may be the most important. The RiverCats are doing great, and it's their owners starting the team. Should work out well.

- Mark

18. AlexNUFC

AlexNUFC New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    River City Firm
    Section 916
    916 Society
    Valley Vandals
    Capitol Crew

quakesfan209 repped this.
  19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    530 protests!

:mad:

20. Blaugrana stunna

Blaugrana stunna New Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like the ideas, especially Valley Vandals. Cap City Clan or Crew?

21. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd steer away from the hooligan type names like vandals. You get into a culture that appeals mostly to young men and you'll end up with a SG that looks more like a frat than anything else.

If also avoid area codes in the name, as those things can change, and after all there will be lots of people supporting the club who don't live in the 916.

Keep it simple, keep it classy. Again, I'd rather have it be something original and not a blatant attempt to mimick other SG names.

22. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    The ownership group has been involved with the Timbers, the Mountain Lions UFL team (successful in a failing league) and the RiverCats as well as having ties to the SF Bulls hockey team. I just looked, they have over 8,000 fans at a recent game. Mountain Lions had good crowds, too.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably it would be good to try to find someone from the Brickyard battalion and the sons of Ben to pick their brain.

24. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Involved with the Timbers? How so?

25. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why ? what for ?

If your answer is because of their SG structure, by experience I can tell you the best is "try and fail " basis to really get a group that fit the area and it members.