USL Pro attendance thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Maza1987, Apr 10, 2011.

1. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Over 2 K for the first ever FCNY home game

2. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FCNY thread seemed to suggest there were only a handful of tickets left when the gates opened. If what I'm hearing is correct, the capacity there is 2,600.

3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FCNY thread seemed to suggest there were only a handful of tickets left when the gates opened. If what I'm hearing is correct, the capacity at Belson Stadium is 2,600.

4. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It sounds like NY FC was trying to drive away whatever fans did show up by playing a boring keep-away style. They just got two MLS players on loan from the Revs, so maybe things will change.

And this happens with most teams in minor league soccer. The turnover rate of rosters is high. You can't expect any real roster continuity.

Dayton probably wasn't ready for D3.

5. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    True most of the guys on the team last year were there because of the U23 rule. We weren't ready for the move at all but the club wanted to move up. There were rumors about it during the middle of the PDL season last year.

I'll be happy if we win one game this season.

6. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    http://richmondkickers.com/home/522210.html

The next to the last line ("Attendance 397) is just as scary as Dayton's "defense" .. 3 clear breakaways.. one was a 4 vs the keeper?? ouch!

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    FC Twente should send them some good players

8. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    It didn't look like there were close to 400 people at the stadium, just saying.

Yeah our defense is super slow. Bangura left 2 defenders in his wake for the 6th goal, he was practically a blur and then rounded our keeper with ease.

Now I'm really curious to see what type of crowd we get at the end of May when we play at the Dayton Dragons (minor league baseball team) stadium. Stay tuned guys!!!

I hate being so negative, I really do love having a pro team in my area I never thought one would come to Dayton, but its frustrating to see us playing so poorly.

9. teamdayton32

teamdayton32 Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    First, I'm very suprised to only see around 4oo people attend the Dayton game. They have been drawing close to or over 1k basically every game they have ever had.

Second, maybe the "Dutch" style of futbol doesn't quite work here. The results from last season and so far this year tend to agree with me. Personally, I am not Dutch and the name Dayton Dutch Lions doesn't really inspire anything from me. I also think there is about a 0% Dutch population in Dayton. Basically I feel like they cheapen the product and market by labeling the team as a Dutch team playing in the states that has no affiliation with Dayton's soccer history or anything at all with Dayton's history as a city. Also they play at a local high school stadium that is out in the sticks, and they can't serve beer. Two other factors that hurt attendance. Hopefully when they play Downtown they will see a significant attendance increase (as well as serve beer). All of this I feel hurts attendance.

Third, I also don't really care for the dutch style of play. Its just not my cup of tea. However I still support our local team and hope they can succeed in the future. Maybe moving up a division so quickly wasn't such a good idea. It just seems like the club is destined to be a flash in the pan sadly.

10. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see a bunch of things in USL Pro that are really dragging the entire league down. So here are some good ideas for a pro league:

1) Do not play in a high school stadium. It limits your income streams, and it especially makes you look small potatoes. A cavern like the Citrus Bowl is still superior to a stadium where you have no luxury suites and you can't sell beer. A minor-league baseball stadium is superior so long as it can fit a soccer field.

2) Do not raise your team as a "mission". If you want a mission, go to the PDL where you don't have to worry about making a player payroll.

11. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    We were drawing close to 1K last year without any away fans either. I know the Battery game had a few away fans, I don't think any Richmond fans made the trip.

Losing Silooy so soon hasn't helped either, I think he originally signed a 3 year deal. I do like Ivar but I was shocked to hear Silooy left.

Our loses aren't helping attendance IMO, along with other factors (no beer, high school stadium). If we can get a few wins, I think the confidence will come back and more fans will show up.

Is Dayton the only USL Pro team that plays in a high school stadium? I can't remember for sure but I think we have a long term deal to play at the high school.

12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Dutch Lions is a horrible name for a US based soccer franchise

13. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It worked fine for the City Stars in USL-2. We were getting 1600 at games and we got almost 3,000 for the championship game.

14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlotte normally plays in a High School stadium (Charlotte Christian Stadium)

I think Pittsburgh does as well.

15. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pittsburgh does; they play at Chartiers Valley High School, a little bit outside of the city.

16. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they folded at the end of the year.

I rest my case.

17. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    watching the pre match camera panning from LA the crowd looks to be a small intimate gathering rather then an actual "crowd"

18. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    With all due respect Orlando Rays, because you really know much and you really support your team but no, the CCS folded after their season in USL 1

19. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Which is a shame because the great Walter Gaetan deserves better

20. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh, sorry. Still, how did they end up falling so fast?

21. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    I don't know about the Cleveland version.. but from everything I've read, the USL pretty much pressured Cleveland to move up after their USL-2 Championship season. The team just wasn't ready, in any capacity. That's not a slam against the fans. The CS's had a good USL-2 following, and a decent field which wasn't up to USL-1 standards, so they moved out to a different stadium.. and the fans, for whatever reason, just didn't follow. Also, just before they moved up, Carolina poached their head coach and some of their better players leaving Cleveland with nada, and little money to replace them.

22. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

If it weren't for the move up to USL-1, I feel pretty confident saying that the City Stars would still be around, operating as a Christian mission.

Hell, if it had just been announced a few weeks earlier that we were moving up, we would have kept our head coach and players.

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also you have to remember that USL has no standards unlike NASL, that;s why you see the cluster******** in PR.

24. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the NASL was launched after Nike refused to sell to Jeff Cooper.

How smart of a decision was it to NOT sell to Cooper?

NASL only has standards because USSF set them.

Christ almighty.

25. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know and if they didn't set those standards the league wouldn't exist and I wouldn't be complaining, that's how it should be.