USL Official LA Galaxy II 2014 thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by SoccerPrime, Feb 11, 2014.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From la2 twitter

@LAGalaxyAcademy: Adonis Amaya, Aaron Lombardi, Elijah Martin and Jaime Villareal currently training with @LAGalaxyII. All four players traveling to Fresno...

3. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 GalaxyKoa, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    Just as a heads up, the players that were on the roster for the GII game tonight versus the Fresno Fuego.

From the full roster:
    Kenney Walker (on loan)
    Jack McBean (on loan)
    Oscar Sorto (on loan)
    Raul Mendiola* (on loan)

From the academy:
    Adonis Amaya
    Jaime Villarreal
    Elijah Martin
    Aaron Lombardi

(Until Recently) College Players:
    Nick Shackelford** (Saint Louis)
    Alejandro Covarubbias** (CSUDH, formerly of the Galaxy academy)
    Lee Nishanian** (CSUSB)
    Abraham Campos (Incarnate Word)

Foreign Players:
    Aleksandar Jokovic (Serbian striker playing in Israel?)
    Jason Bli** (former PSG product)
    Stojkov**** (Dragan Stojkov?)
    Diallo****

The Rest:
    Laurent Courtois (LA Galaxy)
    Travis Bowen (Phoenix FC)
    Logan Emory** (San Antonio Scorpions)
    Daniel Steres** (Wilmington Hammerheads)
    Cody Laurendi** (Ft. Lauderdale Strikers)
    Max Griffin** (Minnesota United)
    Eder Arreola*** (Delfines de Los Cabos)
    Jonathan Borrajo*** (Mjøndalen)

*Mendiola hasn't officially been signed, but all accounts are that he will be a first team player.
    ** No first name stated but I'm reasonably sure.
    *** No first name stated but I've got a guess
    **** No first name stated and I've got no clue.

I think that's everyone. I've probably got a player or two incorrect so I'll come back and correct it when that comes up.

Anyone who has some info regarding some of the lower division guys, it would be greatly appreciated. Apparently Steres had a good game.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update. I wonder, players like Steres, formerly of Seattle, is he playing for Wilmington in 2014 or is he playing for Galaxy 2? Was this just a trial before he commits to one or the other?

I wonder if all the players up top, McBean and the academy guys, are they just being loaned to Galaxy 2 and are the rest of the roster, Recent College/Foreign/The Rest actually the Galaxy 2 only contract players?

So confusing, but very fun!

5. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually pretty simple. It's a USL Pro team (with all that entails) which takes players on loan from an MLS team. It's no different than an affiliate, except for that the affiliate is now owned by the MLS team and thus operates pretty much exclusively in the best interest of the MLS team.

Guys like McBean, Sorto and Mendiola will see heavy minutes with G2 on loan, probably for a majority of the season. Guys like Steres are likely hoping they would benefit from being in a top class organization like the Galaxy's and might even see it as a better stepping stone. G2 will likely pay more than the standard D3 team as well.

No signings for the USL Pro team have been announced, though. Guys like Steres and Laurendi are certainly still on trial. Guys like Amaya and Lombardi may have already signed, but it's possible they're waiting on a contract as well, with college being a backup.

kenntomasch repped this.
  6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but there are limits on the loans, I don't think LA can loan 12 players to LA2. The tricky part is who are the official, signed LA2 players.

7. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 GalaxyKoa, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    There are no loan limits in the squad rules of the USL Pro. If they crop up this year, it would be new. In an interview a few weeks ago with Onalfo he said that they'll be around 7 players on short term loan from the full team at any given time, plus 3-4 full time loans from the full team. Now, that's not hard and fast number, just what will likely make sense with the timing of the two teams' games. At any rate, it's going to be around 10-11 players from the MLS roster on loan to the G2 roster. This will obviously be dependent on call ups, injuries, schedule congestion, etc.

Even if there were limits on the loans, it still wouldn't be difficult to see who is signed to which roster. Either you're on the 30 man MLS roster or you're not. Cut and dry. If you're not on the 30 man MLS roster and you're playing for G2, either got to be currently in the academy (pre college) or have a USL Pro contract.

kenntomasch repped this.
  8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 athletics68, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    Hadn't seen this posted anywhere, but it looks like we know now definitively that the Galaxy II won't be calling the main stadium at StubHub Center home (at least for the majority of their games). Most of their games are as expected, being played at the track stadium south of the main StubHub Center stadium.

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if there are limits but Coach Anhaueser think the Battery may see up to 8 Whitecap players for the Battery this season

http://www.chssoccer.net/day-2-keepers-whitecaps-friendlies-numbers/

it is unclear if some would be short term loans while others season long or even if they would all be here at the same time.

12. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I think the reason Charleston will see more is because Vancouver has multiple squads to pull from that don't count against their MLS roster (but also can't play for their MLS team). So you will see only 4 players from the MLS squad, but you could see players from their U-23 (PDL) squad and their Residency squad. The Galaxy II can only pull 4 players on long term loan, but you would likely see whoever doesn't make the 18 for the main team's weekend game available to play for the II team.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think any of Vancouver's PDL players are going to be loaned to the Battery.

First off, you can't loan an amateur player.

Second off, they're not pro players. Just because they play for a U23 team called the Vancouver Whitecaps doesn't make them Vancouver Whitecaps players who can be sent to a professional team. The top three guys in terms of minutes played for the PDL team last year were Cam Hundal, Michael Winter and Colton O'Neill. Hundal and O'Neill are still in college, and Winter was as of 2012.

The Whitecaps can surely lend MLS players under their control to Charleston. What they can do with Academy kids, I don't know, but I don't know a lot of teenagers who are going to be contributing a whole lot to Charleston, which has been a fairly good side in USL Pro lately. But they don't, technically, have the ability to send PDL players to Charleston. Charleston is a pro team. And just because an MLS team has a PDL team under their development umbrella and just because it shares their name doesn't mean that MLS team can do anything it wants with the players playing for that PDL team.

14. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I really like this set up the more it unfolds. The Galaxy owning their own USL Pro team or MLS clubs like the Union who were among the first to have a USL Pro affiliate which work very closely together.
    Sportrting KC and Orlando City also worked veryclose together and probably will be the same for their OKC affiliate next season.
    Even if a player is signed to a Galaxy2 contract could it not be possible for a Galaxy2 player to be loaned to Galxay1 if said player impresses or a lot of injuries should hit the Galaxy1 at a certain position?

15. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. The Galaxy would still have to acquire said player and have him fit within the roster rules just like if they loaned a player from any other non MLS club in the world.
    That's not true. There are no loan restrictions, but about 4 makes sense purely because you need to make up the numbers at practice and account for injuries/callups throughout the season.

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like the first two Whitecaps that look to be going on loan are Jackson Farmer (Residency) and Marlon Ramirez (PDL squad) . They may be moving to the MLS roster but as of now that is their status.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2014/02/caps-portland-rose-city-invitational

We have been hearing they should be arriving to join the squad during the Carolina Challenge Cup (first reported to be last thursday but no arriving on Monday so we should see soon enough.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramirez is a professional player, having played for CDS Vida. He did play twice for the Whitecaps' PDL team last season. I was thinking more of the traditional PDL players, the amateurs who make up the bulk of PDL squads. (Though Ramirez is young at 19). And Farmer's another kid who's a pro, as far as I know. He's made appearances for their MLS Reserve League team the last two years, he's not going to college.

These guys going out on loan isn't really what I meant by that. I was talking specifically about the amateurs (especially college guys) who make up the bulk of PDL rosters.

18. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Whitecaps U23 teams also seems to be made up of a mix of Professional and amateur players.

last season I believe both Ben Fisk and Alderson were on the U23 and residency teams

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not listed in their stats for last year, either of them. But they may have been.

I knew an Alan Alderson who played pro who was from BC, I wonder if they're related?

20. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 Macsen, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    YOU GOT KNOCKED THE F*** OUT, MAN! Gimme my g**...d***...money...

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    http://www.lagalaxy.com/blog/beat/2...also-loan-opare-venter-and-walker-first-match

SoccerPrime repped this.
  24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We know they have Courtois so that makes 10. Who else is playing this weekend?

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ringers!

(Also, yes, some players signed specifically for LAGII. Roster from USLProsoccer.com.)

F Travis Bowen (played for Phoenix FC last year)
    M Jamieson Bradford IV (17, homegrown)
    M Laurent Courtois (35, player-coach, former Chivas player)
    M Alejandro Covarrubias (22, NPSL player, all-conference at Cerritos College)
    ? Logan Emory (if it's the same guy, he's 26 and played in the NASL and was with Toronto FC for a bit)
    M Rafael Garcia (25, Galaxy, played at Cal State-Northridge)
    G Cody Laurendi (25, played briefly for PR Islanders and FtL Strikers)
    F Jack McBean (19, former US Youth International)
    M Raul Mendiola (18, Galaxy Youth Academy)
    F Charles Rugg (23, PDL 2011-2012, 2 games for Galaxy in 2013)
    G Nicholas Shackelford (SLU's starting keeper last fall)
    D Oscar Sorto (19, homegrown player)
    D Daniel Steres (23, USL Pro experience with Wilmington)

So, yeah, they did get some guys with a little bit of pro experience to go with the kids.

SoccerPrime repped this.