USL in Milwaukee

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by -DgS-, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    We're actively working to build a local supporter's group in Milwaukee around getting an outdoor pro team. This could definitely take the form of a USL or NASL team. We've got some good momentum but we always need more people, interest and ideas. Check out our Facebook page for more information and to get involved: https://www.facebook.com/promilwaukeesoccer

Alistair Fannell repped this.
  2. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's a great place to start. It would help to show potential owners or investors the potential support in place. I think we all know who the ideal person is to put help put a team together.

3. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Potential owners, investors and sponsors as well. And I think the more people we get involved the faster the effort will snowball and draw in more fans and supporters. There's a meeting coming up next weekend and it'd be great to get a good group to come out.

4. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Wilt was consulting with a group that was looking at bringing a USL Pro team to Milwaukee at the same time as he started working with what would become Indy Eleven. He'd probably be the best person to ask about where it is at. I would imagine Milwaukee would be an ideal location for the Chicago Fire's USL Pro affiliate.

5. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    I had the same thought about hosting Chicago's USL affiliate, but at this point I think Peter may be too busy with Indy to invest any energy in Milwaukee. He would nonetheless be a great resource for us moving forward. I'm sure he has great insight. Hope you can join the effort. We're always looking for new ideas. And don't forget to check out the FB page and like us!

6. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Milwaukee had the Rampage, an A-League team for a number of years in the 90s, won 2 A-League titles in 1997 and 2002- I was at both games_ but folded after winning the 2002 title. Milwaukee has a strong history of supporting soccer, they've had the Wave for 30 years, and lots of local kids teams and clubs teams. getting outdoor team back in Milwaukee would be great. I think the team, should be called the Rampage in honor of the old A-League team.

7. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    I was at the title game in 2002 as well and was really disappointed when they folded. It was always fun going to the games, but I think they were really hindered by playing in relatively remote stadiums. Both Uihlein on the north side and the soccer complex down in Franklin weren't exactly quick and easy to get to. I think the stadium location for any new team or a Rampage reincarnation will be key. Be sure to check out the FB page. Hopefully you can attend the meeting we're holding next weekend at the Highbury.

8. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I have checked out the FB page- I dont do face book or twitter much. i would suggest coming up with possible names for the team. if we are doing a Rampage reincarnation then I'm sure the logo, naming rights etc are for sale. keeps its simple ties it back to a past team, like the indoor football team did in renaming themselves the Mustangs. they didnt last long, obviously. location is important, scheduling is important- would it be a spring league- where the MISL has wrapped up for the year and you can switch from indoor to outdoor? promoting the product is obviously important thats where Twitter Facebook, space in the local paper or website come in. what possible home locations are there for a new Rampage. Would they use Uihlein again - which hosts the state soccer championships in the fall- perhaps as a temporary home?

9. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    I believe the plan is to set up a formal website once the effort advances a little more. There have been a few team names tossed around, but at this point we're focused on a name for the supporters group. Any team name is ultimately going to be at the discretion of the owner. I have nothing against the Rampage, other than it doesn't really tie into the city well and I'm not sure there's enough brand equity in the name to warrant buying the rights. But all ideas are certainly on the table. Both the USL PRO and NASL run summer schedules, by in large, so it wouldn't conflict with the Wave. As far as stadiums go, I know of a couple possible options, such as the Bavarians' new stadium or the Marquette field in the Valley, which are closer to downtown and have quick freeway access. But with the Valley field, as well as with the new MSOE field downtown, there might be an issue selling alcohol on a campus location. And we all know that, win or lose, it won't matter if there's no booze!

10. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    whether it really ties in well or not, It was the last outdoor team in Milwaukee, and soccer fans of certain age remember the team fondly, myself included. while it is ultimately up to the team owner in terms of naming the team , reviving the Rampage would give the team a degree of credibility in the community, if only for nostalgia's sake.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are seeing posts in both NASL and USL. Any idea if there is any interest from either leagues?

12. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    I don't know if either league has identified Milwaukee by name, but the city been tossed around as a great option given it's proximity to the Chicago and Minnesota clubs. We also had great success with a previous USL team and there is an established soccer can base around the Wave. Once we get a more formal structure in place we'll discuss the pros and cons of each and possibly pursue one. But the ultimate decision will of course be at the discretion of the owner.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Milwaukee quite a bit. I think it's an underrated city.

That said - no, neither league has identified Milwaukee "by name" (though I don't know how else you'd identify a city except by its name). The idea of a city "being tossed around" is the kind of vague thing that people say (like "there's a buzz") that can be neither proven nor disproven.

The Rampage did have some great success back in the day. But they folded. As did Wave United. And Peter Wilt tried very hard to get a team at either the D2 or D3 level in Milwaukee and could not make it happen. That doesn't bode well.

And there is - at this moment, as far as I can tell - no owner for there to be an ultimate decision at the discretion of.

This is wishful thinking. Which is all well and good. And rallying support for a cause is a first step. But please let us not think it's anything other than that.

14. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Either league will be interested if we can put together a solid package of local support, sponsors, a stadium and an owner. That effort is starting here with a good deal of local fans and support. We're looking to build on that now.

I don't believe the Rampage folded for lack of support. And if they did a better, less remote stadium should rectify that. The Wave United folded because the organization found it too difficult to run two teams in two leagues. Peter Wilt was focused on bringing an MLS club to Milwaukee. I heard he may have been trying to get a D2 or D3 club, but then Indy came calling and he rightly moved on. We can certainly reach out to him to get an idea as to the challenges we'll face, but considering much smaller communities have USL PRO teams, I certainly don't think that, at least, is beyond reach.

As for owners, I have two names in mind, but yes, that part can be difficult. But if we can rally support, put together a list of committed sponsors and arrange to use a stadium, it will definitely make selling the idea to potential owners a lot easier. That's where we're focused now. You've got to start somewhere.

15. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear Bud Selig will be looking for things to do soon ;)

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it is possible that the Twins ownership could share their soccer experience soon with someone with the Brewers. How about the Bucks ownership, they looking for invest (sorta how the Spurs were once interested)?

17. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Just a reminder, our first meeting is Sunday, Feb. 16 at 3:30 at the Highbury Pub in Bay View. We've gotten more than 250 likes so far on our Facebook page, so the momentum is building. Come down and help us lay the foundation for a club of our own!

18. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    The official Milwaukee soccer supporter's sign up page is live! Go to www.milwaukeeprosoccer.com to add your name to the list, tell us what league you'd prefer, and show your support for a team of our own! We're looking to get 2,000 people by the end of the year and we've gotten great momentum already through our Facebook page. Help us take the next step toward actually getting a team!

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can you give us an update of where things stand ?

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 msilverstein47, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    http://www.wisconsinsoccercentral.com/news_article/show/484681?referral=rss&referrer_id=811630

It hasn't been determined yet in which league the team will play. Davi has had discussions with the NPSL, the USL Premier Development League and the new Great Lakes Premier League, which all are in the fourth tier of the U.S. soccer pyramid. He's hopeful that the team will have its league affiliation finalized by the end of March.

22. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Here is the facebook page for the new team. Like the page to show your support! Their official website will be launching March 15 with more info and team merchandise. Let's get behind this effort!

https://www.facebook.com/milwaukeetorrent

23. dethfire

dethfire Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Great news! NASL is better talent right? I want whatever will bring the best talent. Honestly I'm tired of watching the Wave players.

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/...rings-outdoor-soccer-back-to-milwaukee-030215

Davi says with the money from local backers and a small projected budget -- around $65,000-$75,000, though, he says, "I don't think we even need $60,000" because of sponsorships -- he could launch the team right now and be able to compete this season, at least monetarily. But he'll wait to play until 2016, when it will be more "wise" to do it.