USL???? at it again

Discussion in 'NASL' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I count Eastern and Central...

...wait, Edmonton's Mountain, isn't it. That's three. What am I missing?

A lot of Americans like home playoff finals, though, so home/away is satisfying to twice as many fans - not because anyone especially cares that it be that format, but because everyone gets to attend "the finals."

2. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it wasn't just time zones, but time zones in the US... Was I mistaken?

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is what most of us understand, also Puerto Rico does not count as a US zone. (They are Atlantic Time zone if I remember correctly).

4. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's three U.S. time zones, with PR not counting, then that's categorically unfair.

Now you're just being petty. :p

They're more than welcome to make an appointment with the Iron Lion Firm at any time. o_O

5. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the US, I'm counting two time zones: Eastern and Central. Three if you count PR, but I'm not sure if they're counting PR, and I don't think they are. Edmonton is Mountain time, but it's in Canada, and doesn't go toward the time zone-count.

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm referring to if that's going to be the NASL's rule. They have four time zones, but only two count if those rules are being represented correctly. That's what I'm calling unfair.

7. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhh.. Yeah, seems a little rough. But if the requirements are made by the USSF, then they're going to be looking at the US teams.

8. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was listening to The Football Show today they had on Dominic Kinnear head coach of Houston and they asked him about pro/rel he said " unless MLS has it's own D2 I can't see it due too USL-1 and USL-2 financial situations"

Ok either he doesn't NASL exists or he still thinks USL is divided like that. Shocking for a head coach not to know the situation in US Soccer.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes one wonder how relevant NASL or USL are these days doesn't it.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only assume that Kinnear and Houston haven't "sent" anyone down to the minors this season or last. Or its just not relevant to him (and many others).

11. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    The Scorpions have Soto and had Deric on loan from Houston.

12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    and has Kinnear already forgotten that his Dynamo was kicked out of the USOC by a NASL-team from San Antomio ?

13. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back when MLS was in bad shape years ago, D2 made more money than MLS players, but with the higher salary cap, MLS has surpassed the last advantage of D2 soccer. NASL/USL are just leagues to send bench players for MLS coaches.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I am cool with that, they just need to have a set standard (each league can have their own) for the loan deals.

I say 4 month loans or 7 month loans (half season or full season loans) for NASL.

15. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He probably knew his reserves played against a minor league club in San Antonio. What league they were in wasn't really important. The distinctions in lower division soccer really isn't relevant to many outside of the few hardcore.

16. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delusional ramblings:

The quality of play on the field is better than it was two years ago and better than anything not in Major League Soccer.

Good now we know where USL stands to be a minor reserve league for MLS:

Is the USL Pro still trying to become a minor league for Major League Soccer?
    “Yes, we still think that’s the best model for us and for Major League Soccer. Right now MLS is going through a self-evaluation with their reserve teams. We continue to have discussions with Major League Soccer about the kind of model that would work from an affiliation and competition structure level. Baseball and hockey have had tremendous success developing players with affiliations. It’s good for both teams. It connects the sport, which is something that American soccer is still fighting. American soccer is still so fragmented.”

http://www.postandcourier.com/artic.../1032/two-minute-drill-usl-president-tim-holt

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's true.

There certainly were guys (Doug Miller, star guys) who either made more starting and contributing in D2 than they could as a reserve in MLS or who could stay in one general area and play outdoor and then indoor and not have to move back and forth and make more. And before the MLS players' union and even a collective bargaining agreement ago, there were guys who made really low wages in MLS. (Quite frankly, there have always been guys in the lower levels who make really, really, REALLY low wages.)

But to say "D2 made more money than MLS players" is an oversimplification. In fact, it's largely wrong, when you look at most players.

You could put that on top of all your posts, couldn't you?

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  18. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Heck, I thought he had trademark on it.

19. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So now my posts are in the same tone as Holt's interesting...............

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spin of the day, boys and girls.

Your posts are idiocy, backed by the ideology of a fanboy. His statements are spin, backed by the ideology of a businessman.

21. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol the irony.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember: podcasts that agree with WSW's worldview = spot-on. Podcasts that don't = spinmeisters.

You're the guy who was looking forward to USOC results telling the tale of the NASL's real superiority...right up until the NASL didn't win that battle. The same guy who thought single-game semis and a final were "idiotic" until the NASL got a one-game final.

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we sure that WSW isn't a really bad PR person for NASL? Even fanboys tend to have limits to how much they are willing to contradict themselves...

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They already have one.