Using Elo Ratings to Predit the Hex

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Maximum Optimal, Oct 20, 2012.

1. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    So now it looks like ESPN has caught up on SPI. Jamaica now, rightly so, is one of the "Biggest Movers," jumping 12 spots in their ranking.

Strangely though, we have swapped spots with Honduras and are now ranked slightly ahead of them. I'm not sure whether SPI was disappointed that they only beat us by one goal at home, older results are being added or dropped, or it's something that's gone on at the club level. We didn't change much, it was Honduras that dropped.

Not that much change for MEX, PAN, or CR either.

At any rate...

Top3% + 4th%*WinNZ%

Mexico: 97.4% + 1.9%*92.7% = 99.1%
    Costa Rica: 60.4% + 17.7%*74.7% = 73.6%
    Honduras: 50.5% + 20.7%*67.0% = 64.3%
    United States: 35.1% + 21.0%*70.0% = 49.8%
    Jamaica = 29.1% + 19.3%*60.9% = 40.9%
    Panama = 27.6% + 19.4%*65.1% = 40.2%

Lesson, a strong Jamaica is not good news for anybody.

Detcelfer and deuteronomy repped this.
  2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I can confirm this. Bolivia has an exaggerated standing. Most likely their 7-1 result against Argentina in the 2010 qualifiers weighs heavily.

3. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    If I calculated the Elo points exchanged yesterday correctly, it stands this way:
    Top3%+ 4th%*BeatNZ%

Mexico = 94.2% + 4.0%*87.7% = 97.8%
    USA = 72.6% + 15.3%*71.6% = 83.5%
    Honduras = 61.0% + 19.5%*61.4% = 73.0%
    Panama = 31.8% + 24.3%*62.4% = 46.9%
    Costa Rica = 31.9% + 24.5%*59.4% = 46.5%
    Jamaica = 8.5% + 12.4%*43.9% = 13.9%

Very good night for the good guys.

FirstStar and deuteronomy repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    BTW, the Hobbits secured qualification for the play-off yesterday in the wee hours of the morning(EST), so now they are watching carefully what happens in our corner of the rock.

5. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    All of our opponents matches so far have been draws. This is a very good thing.

To illustrate, Elo had the Jamaica/Panama game as very even (Panama 52 to 48, one Elo point was exchanged), so you might say a draw was the expected result. However, these 2 nations both suffer for it. Jamaica's top3% dropped to 8.5% from 11.3%, and Panama's went down to 31.8% from 37.8%.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I wrote about it extensively in some thread now buried who knows where before the Hex started: the fact that the UNCAF teams are so close this time around, and also close to Jamaica, was going to prove good for the USA in the end. The more ties happen in the other games, the better the chances to climb the table.

Right now after two games the USA is second only to the team that has played two home games (Honduras), so the effect is already showing (in my calculations I wasn't expecting Mexico to be also in the group with the many ties, it's been a happy surprise).

When there is a tie, both teams are basically wasting a point. If you win all your games at home, lose all the games away, and all the other teams tie each other in games not involving your team, you emd up at the top (you got 15 points, everybody else got 11).

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Being in a race keeps some folks from getting desperate.

But it can also keep them from being decisive.

Current Elo rankings :

Mexico - 10th (1867 pts)
    USA - 28th (1735)
    Panama - 37th (1677)
    Honduras - 38th (1671)
    Costa Rica - 41st (1659)
    Jamaica - 65th (1564)

On paper, this is Mexico and everyone else but it surely isn't turning out this way so far. Places 2-5 ought to be hotly contested and Jamaica's stronger with its English contingent (that is not reflected in the ratings) and arguably in the thick of things as well.

8. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamaica really messed up, allowing Panama to tie at home in the 66th minute. Going into the Hex, they were considered, by most, the two weakest teams. It really hurt their qualifying chances (and, of course, boosted Panama's).

Teams have to hold serve at home to qualify. Once again, Jamaica's character and organizational abilities are at question.

http://www.sbnation.com/2014-world-...876/jamaica-vs-panama-2013-final-score-result

9. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    My perhaps superfluous update including the including recent Hex results and ELO changes.

Results:

Team-------------- Direct Q %-------------- Playoff %----------------- Out%

Mexico: ---------------89-------------------------7-------------------------4
    USA: ------------------68------------------------17------------------------ 15
    Honduras:-------------52-------------------------22-----------------------25
    Panama: --------------22------------------------19------------------------59
    Costa Rica: -----------57-------------------------21------------------------22
    Jamaica: -------------12-------------------------13------------------------75

Things are getting intersting.

10. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    More fun: according to ELO, the US does not want CR to win v. Jamaica (probably obvious).

If the US loses to Mexico, then direct qualification (top 3) runs from 59% to 68% depending on other results. CR result against Jamaica has the largest effect.

11. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    And if the US steals a point, the direct qualification (top 3) runs from 71% to 77% depending on other results.

12. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    After the results of Matchday 3 and the associated ELO point swaps, here are how the teams' probabilities of qualifying or making the playoff stand:

Mexico: ---------------78------------------------13--------------------------9
    USA: ------------------76------------------------13------------------------ 11
    Honduras:-------------36------------------------25------------------------38
    Panama: --------------34------------------------24------------------------43
    Costa Rica: -----------70------------------------16------------------------14
    Jamaica: --------------7--------------------------9------------------------84

Hmmm. My instincts tell me the picture should not be this clear at all. JAM's ELO is not very good and does not reflect the new recruits. Panama is leading the group, but still has a 43% chance of crashing out? Well that must be because 4 of their remaing 7 matches are against the US and Mexico. But, Honduras has already played Mexico and the US and gotten 4 points, so why aren't they given a better chance? Their road loss shouldn't be that big a deal. But their ELO may be underrrated.

Maybe I have a bug. Plenty of time to do some digging before June!

blacksun, chad, Revolt and 3 others repped this.
  13. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using my own eyes and judgement to predict the Hex :D (sometimes a bad barometer, I know)

1. Jamaica is in trouble after their early tie at Azteca. Allowing, Panama, once considered the weak sister in the Hex to tie at the Office and losing 2-0 in Costa Rica last night, nearly knocks them out of consideration.

2. The USA may have played their toughest two away qualifiers (Honduras and Mexico) and has four games left at home. This is good.

3. Mexico has too much talent to founder much more. 3 ties, Holy Smokes . . a coaching change may be in the offing.

dcole repped this.
  14. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I think you do have a bug actually. Check your Costa Rica points/math somewhere.

I'm getting this:

Top3 + 4th*NZ = WC

Mexico = 86.7% + 8.6%*86.5% = 94.1%
    USA = 78.3% + 12.8%*73.5% = 87.7%
    Panama = 45.9% + 24.6%*64.8% = 61.8%
    Costa Rica = 42.9% + 23.0%*61.1% = 56.9%
    Honduras = 42.0% + 24.1%*59.2% = 56.3%
    Jamaica = 4.2% + 7.0%*42.3% = 7.2%

My thoughts on this:
    1. 87.7% is optimistic for me, and I'll run with that to the bank right now.
    2. Mexico, no coaching change needed.
    3. Dogfight for 3,4,5 is gonna be fun.
    4. Jamaica is better than Elo thinks it is.
    Did anyone see if ESPN gave an update on their odds? They did after the Costa Rica match. If they did can someone post it? If not I'll run my SPI version...SPI actually looking pretty accurate now IMHO; MEX #10, USA #29, CR #32, HON #39, PAN #41, JAM #51, NZ #67

deuteronomy, HogDaddy and Reccossu repped this.
  15. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Ok, bug found! (If you give Costa Rica points for beating Panama, when the actual result was a draw, it will screw things up). Actual probabilities:

Mexico: ---------------80------------------------12--------------------------9
    USA: ------------------77------------------------12------------------------ 10
    Honduras:-------------39------------------------24------------------------38
    Panama: --------------49------------------------23------------------------29
    Costa Rica: -----------49------------------------21------------------------31
    Jamaica: --------------7--------------------------9------------------------84

This looks better to my eye and is a lot more consistent with dlokteff. So I think it's pretty good. The bad news for the US is that it makes the trip to Panama look all the more difficult.

russ, dlokteff and HogDaddy repped this.
  16. HogDaddy

HogDaddy Member

Mar 27, 2001
    St. Charles, MO
    I just want to put out a big Thank You to the posters who have the knowledge and time to do this kind of analysis and post the results here. It is much appreciated, even with the occasional boo-boo.

17. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    ahhh, but I screwed up. Didn't account for goal difference earlier and failed to give New Zealand credit for their inspiring win over the Solomon Islands.

Doesn't impact the US much, but my corrected table is....

Mexico - 86.2% + 8.9%*85.6% = 93.8%
    USA - 77.8% + 13.1%*72.0% = 87.2%
    Panama - 48.1% + 24.7%*64.3% = 64.0%
    Costa Rica - 45.0% + 22.5%*60.2% = 58.5%
    Honduras - 39.1% + 24.3%*56.3% = 52.8%
    Jamaica - 3.9% +6.5%*40.1% = 6.5%

18. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    And here are the probabilities using ESPN's SPI instead of ELO:

Mexico: ---------------81------------------------10--------------------------9
    USA: ------------------69------------------------15------------------------ 16
    Honduras:-------------43------------------------22------------------------36
    Panama: --------------37------------------------22------------------------41
    Costa Rica: -----------57------------------------19------------------------25
    Jamaica: --------------13------------------------13------------------------74

This makes it notably tighter for the US and Panama, and Costa Rica continues to look pretty solid according to SPI. Jamaica and Honduras get a little more love by this metric, but not enough to be excited about.

19. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    ESPN did write that Mexico now stands at 86.4% overall qualification, and the US at 77.5% My #'s below seem to overvalue Mexico relative to how ESPN does their sims, but is close on the US. I haven't seen a full table published by ESPN so here is mine based on SPI:

Mexico = 89.8% + 6.5%*91.9%= 95.4%
    USA = 67.2% + 15.9%*76.2% = 78.7%
    Costa Rica = 53.3% + 20.6%*74.6% = 65.7%
    Honduras = 43.9% + 22.3%*70.3% = 56.5%
    Panama = 35.3% + 22.9%*67.9% = 50.1%
    Jamaica = 10.4% + 11.7%*59.5% = 15.1%

Reccossu repped this.
  20. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Ours look pretty similar now. Other than Mexico, we are within 2-3 percentage points for all teams.

I think the actual odds of surviving the two legs against New Zealand are not so rosy though, for any of the countries. Over 30 matches in the HEX, the percentages tend to come through, but for an around the world, 180 minute gut-check, well, let's just say I would take New Zealand and 2 to 1 odds against Panama.

21. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I wonder if it worth trying to skew the results formula to predict more draws -- in line with what has been happening this cycle. Would be interesting to see if it changes the odds any or if it just changes the point totals.

22. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    I wouldn't take New Zealand over anyone except maybe Jamaica. New Zealand has a hard time generating offense, they also don't really know what is like to play in an intimidating environment it took Australia a while to adjust back in the days when they would represent the OFC and have to travel to Latin America. It would be easy for any CONCACAF team to tie New Zealand 0-0 in New Zealand and win at home

23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This.

Also, with Nelsen now retired the defense also gets downgraded.

24. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Panama would be a clear favorite vs. NZ. 2 to 1 odds AGAINST Panama? Pfft.

25. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I may have been unclear. Right now I would bet $10 to win $20 that NZ would win the two-leg playoff with Panama.