USA x NZL womens [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 3, 2012.

?

Foul Or no Foul?

1. Foul - Red card

43 vote(s)
    70.5%
  2. No foul.

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. MarinFCsoccer

MarinFCsoccer Member

May 16, 2008
    Novato
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disgraceful non-call by the Argentinian referee. Clear red card for the NZ goal keeper.

MassRef EDIT: you hit the double-whammy for this forum, MarinFCSoccer... no unfounded accusations of referee bias and no gratuitous political comments. Thanks!

2. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    On first glance, I would have said no foul. But the more I watch this... If you look at the position of the keeper, I think you have to call this. Keeper was a good 3 yards outside of the box and went down stupidly to win the ball. The knee to the face was unfortunate but the keeper put herself in that position. Does this have to be DOGSO though? There was a defender somewhat close. Her touch was in the opposite direction that she ran. While I'm 99% sure this should have been a foul, I could have seen justification for only giving a yellow.

meyers repped this.
  3. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  4. Bclay

Bclay Member

May 29, 2012
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well even if the defender was close, if it's a 1on1 situation it would still be an obvious goal scoring opportunity, right? When it's the last defender taking down an attacker to prevent a 1on1 with the goalie, that's a DOGSO. And since the keeper out of the box is treated like a field player anyways, this would be just like that.

Scrabbleship and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. 100% absolutely has to be. As I've said a few times recently, this is a pet peeve of mine...

Not only is that defender still behind the attacker (and further away from the ball) but the foul is committed by the goalkeeper. So there are zero defenders back (not one or two). This is more obvious than most DOGSOs.

For some reason, a lot of people get mixed up when the foul is committed by the goalkeeper in situations like this. If you removed the goalkeeper from the equation and it was just the attacker and defender chasing that ball on an open net, you wouldn't like the attacker's chances for an obvious goal?

Pierre Head repped this.
  6. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    Change of topic, same play:
    Concussion management, anyone? How many of us allow that keeper to continue?
    In a youth game, USSF or NFHS, I never would.
    Adult amateur....hmmmm....at a minimum, I'm having a long conversation with the most reasonable NZ player/coach I can find. And probably calling myself a chicken if I don't insist on the keeper's removal.

I'm guessing at this level, the ref feels perfectly comfortable delegating the decision to the on-site medical staff.

soccerman771 repped this.
  7. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    First of all, foul on the keeper - red to the keeper. There shouldn't be much debate there.

Re: Concussion management - at this level, there should be a doc there who I trust. In a youth match, they are coming out. (Of course, she would have been sent off anyway, so the point is moot).

Anybody give a yellow to Morgan as well? I understand she is trying to get out of the way and avoid contact, but it is knee to head. Am I way off base here?

8. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Bang bang play. I don't think you should. It looked like she genuinely tried to avoid the contact. Keeper put herself in a very dangerous position.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was AR on a USOC qualifier a little while ago. Defender, attempting to prevent a goal, crashes his head into the goalpost late in the match. Ball goes in (which ties the match at 1-1). After a long delay, player goes off and stays off for the final minute or two. At the start of extra time, he comes back on. Or tries to, rather. Referee attempts to insist that he not come back on. Coach was insistent that he had every right to put him back on the field. And I do mean he was absolutely insistent. His words were essentially (paraphrasing), "I'm the coach, he's fine to play and you can't force me to use a substitution." There was a lot of colorful language accompanying these statements.

I stayed out of the interaction with the coach and player, but tried to point the referee in one direction by asking him what he was going to do if the player came back on the field? Would he yellow card him? The referee, really not getting the point of my question, scoffed at me and said "of course not!" I tried following-up, "then what are you going to do? How are you going to stop him? Are you willing to abandon the game?" He thought I was crazy and I don't think my line of reasoning ever got through (that he had no viable recourse to keep him off the field, other than resorting to misconduct or simply ending the match), but he eventually did relent and let him play. The energy and time he wasted fighting the coach was not worth the end result.

The lesson I learned, if any, was to make your concerns and issues known, but you can't play doctor and you can't play coach--particularly not in a limited substitution environment. If the player is cognizant and wants to come back in and his coach is insistent, there's not much you can do and you shouldn't start a fight/battle that you aren't willing to see through to the end. So make sure you know what the end game is... if the player is insistent that he's coming back on the field, you really only have two options (book him and then send him off, or just end the game). If you're not willing to do either of those, then you better be ready to let the player continue.

10. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not in the habit of cautioning players for being fouled.

11. DWickham

DWickham Member

Dec 26, 2003
    San Diego
    The match would present a challenge in mentoring. There were lots of issues and few examples of the referee team making great choices. How can a mentor motivate the referee whose match was at the edge of falling apart.

But, there was almost one unforgiveable sin. In the last minute of added time, with NZ's chances clearly gone, the NZ coach was trying to get a substitute into the match. There was a stoppage in play, but the referee did not hold up the match. Fortunately, the ball again went out of play with a few seconds left. The player was able to enter. Imagine if the ending of Rudy was that he couldn't get in because the referee refused to let him enter.

12. CanadaFTW

CanadaFTW Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I think that this was a foul on the GK and hence DOGSO.

Having said that, I do believe that the fact that the US player went to the right after playing the ball to her left had to have played on the officials mind and is likely why no foul was called. When a player does something unusual like that, you have to consider if the attacker intentionally induced contact with the GK, which leads to doubt which leads to not wanting to pull out the red card.

I have been playing some GK and had a similar sort of play (came out to challenge, attacker got to the ball first) except I remained upright and essentially stopped before the contact with the attacker occured. The referee gave me a yellow, which was totally wrong (it was like this play, either a RC or no foul), but that play made me think that this is one of the hardest decisions for a referee (or at least good referees) as there is no cop-out call available and at some point, these plays switch from a red to no foul with little to distinguish between the two.

13. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Some of you want to call a foul on Morgan?????? For what?!!! The goalie was sliding in with her knee locked and studs to break up the attack and Alex Morgan thought having intact limbs and goal to her tally sheet was important enough that she tried to get the hell out of the way to avoid contact and score a goal. But we want to caution Alex Morgan for contact? Are you guys really soccer referees??????

meyers, bluedevils, bissell and 3 others repped this.
  14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we all at least agree that the NZ captain (field player) pulling Morgan down in the box (hands on shoulder/etc) earlier in the game was a PK that the ref botched by not calling?

15. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    In the Olympic Refs thread, MassRef posted this:

"USA : New Zealand - DI IORIO (ARG)"

And Law5 responded with:

"OMG."

Now maybe we realize why!

PH

16. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Yes, but the player never got a touch on the ball or did anything else except stand there, because the ref blew for time right after the re-start.

PH

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh. I think it was a PK, but not a spectacularly awful non-call. Morgan got her body between the New Zealand player and the ball, smartly, but just didn't get the call. Probably given 80%+ of the time, but I've also seen it not given.

18. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    She didn't even get several of the simple ones right. There were numerous erroneously awarded throw-ins; not to mention obvious mistakes on corner/goal kick decisions. She was terrible. Almost as bad as Swiss Miss.

19. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'm usually with the majority audience and senior posters here, but my opinion differs:

Morgan taps the ball to the left of the keeper because she is coming at full speed and wants to run around her and to the right of the keeper. Because of the speed of the play, she winds up kneeing her. To me, it's a collision (or a foul on Morgan).

Attempt to trip? I've replayed this several times and have read the posts about the leg being out, etc, but what I'm seeing is Morgan trying to run around the keeper, but knees her in the head instead.

I know we're all USA fans, but the referee should have called the penalty kick against us in the 84th minute as the replays showed it was a trip. I know the collision was a big play, but a PK there and the game is tied 1-1.

On a non-reffing note, that goalkeeper had no business staying on the field. She was motionless for a while and then came to. In the NFL, that player is off the field and not coming back. For the player to remain after taking a hard hit to the head was criminal. There's no way she escaped that collision without a concussion.

duality72 and JimEWrld repped this.
  20. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I'm glad you brought this up. I did notice that there were several questionable throw-in calls, which could have led to misconduct between players a few times.

21. Iforgotwhat8wasfor

Jun 28, 2007
    Good no call. Full speed bang-bang play. The keeper must try to make a play, and within the very high stakes context is reasonably careful. Certainly she had absolutely no intention of trying to trip Morgan with her face...

Really it should be a DFK, but then we have that awful DGF law and there's not whiff of cheating so we would all have to listen to BayStateRef go on and on when it isn't applied... (this, of course, is intended to be entirely good-natured... ;) )

22. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Before you accuse us all of homerism, maybe you should follow the context of the game. US was up 1-0 before Alex Morgan got taken down in the box and no PK for the situation. I love your choice of selective history claiming that NZ had a PK call in the 84th minute and US had a possible 1-1 game. maybe if read these posts a lot of people agreed that the ref blew 3 huge calls. 2 for US and 1 for NZ. This ref sucked period. So please refrain from bullshit history rewriting to fit your narrative.

23. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I watched the video, but only once. I think that sometimes watching it again and again can give me a totally different perspective than what actually happened.

From my one time view:
    Forward going in
    GK coming out
    Forward plays the ball
    GK does not get the ball
    GK fouls forward
    DFK for attacking team + GK sent off

I get into trouble when I don't think, but I get into even more trouble when I think too much!

24. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    There was no thinking required. It was an easy call to make. Like someone said, she was like KFC: Chicken in the box. Even though it was outside of the penalty area.

25. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    I don't know what the USSF is teaching, but how is this the referee's duty/problem? We are not doctor's, so how can we determine, let alone forbid, a player from continuing due to a suspected concussion?

Sure, you can plead your case to the coaching staff, but ultimately it's a decision the player and coach has to make.

NHRef, JimEWrld and Law5 repped this.