Pre-match: USA vs. South Korea - February 1st, 2014 (Carson, CA)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Mario Balotelli, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #126 EvilTree, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    South Korea beat Costa Rica 1-0

[​IMG]

And if anyone cares to watch, full match in Spanish

StillKickin and tab5g repped this.
  2. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Okay, I guess Toronto FC did actually start their "preseason" yesterday:
    http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/01/reds-announce-2014-preseason-plans

So, contrary to what I had assumed, Bradley does actually have something else to do this week. I withdraw my "polite fiction" characterization.

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Also, South Korea faces Mexico on Wednesday this week, live from San Antonio on UniMas:

Wednesday, January 29, 2014
    9:00PM EST
    Friendly
    at Alamodome
    Mexico
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    South Korea
    UniMas

LouisZ and mikeivan repped this.
  4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    FWIW, UniMas looks to be offering some extended lead-in coverage, as their programming for this friendly is listed to start at 4:30 pm ET.

http://futbol.univision.com/horario...u&ftpos=HomepageMainMenu:Deportes:Futbol:EnTv

(And they've got an hour of pre-game show planned for Wednesday night's Mexico vs South Korea friendly.)

5. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    MB is with TFC in Florida, but not 'training', because he already went through pre season camp and Nelsen doesn't think it's necessary for MB to do what other players are doing right now.

6. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Possibly disruptive to team chemistry down the road? I'd be surprised if Bradley didn't prefer to work with the rest of the players from the jump.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's with those Costa Rica jerseys?

tab5g repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's homage to the uniform they used in the 1990 World Cup, their best showing so far, when they beat Sweden:

tab5g repped this.
  9. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  10. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Can't view the video outside Canada but from the caption it appears as if Bradley is present? Is De Rosario also given special status?

11. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And beat Scotland as well, while also only losing 1-0 to Brazil, making the Round of 16 (the only time a CONCACAF team has made the knockout stage and they weren't either the USA or Mexico)

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico just beat S. Korea 4-0.

13. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The scoreline wasn't exactly representative of the game though. That was the most even 4-0 game I've ever watched

14. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I only saw the second half, but Korea did not look threatening. Lots of pressuring, though. Will force accurate play if us tries to keep possession.

15. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    The scoreline is what represents the game. Possession and shots are statistical byproducts of trying to achieve the better scoreline, which is what matters.

16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To exaggerate a little bit, if a team had 15 shots on goal, and they lost 1-0 on a 90th minute own goal, would that scoreline still represent the game? No, it wouldn't. I'm not saying that Mexico didn't dominate. To be honest I don't really care much how well Mexico does (outside of playing against the US), and I couldn't watch the game anyway, so I have no idea how the game actually went. However, you're making a blanket statement for all games, and in my view, the scoreline only tells part of the story.

truefan420 repped this.
  17. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    The scoreline tells the main story. No amount of possession or shots make up for a drubbing.

That 1-0 you mention does represent the game. Their 15 shots don't erase their own goal.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, the Koreans have been pushing themselves with the travelling. Trying to simulate the conditions of the actual WC, probably, where every passing game you're more tired than the previous one. Today they didn't play well at all, after the first 30 minutes they looked done. I don't think they'll be such a great test for the MLSers.

19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, you're making a blanket statement, and, once again, I'm not talking about this particular game. What if a game's scoreline is the other way? No amount of possession or shots makes up for a 1-0 defeat? Or a 0-0 tie? Really? At some point, we may have to agree to disagree here.

20. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we beat SK 4-0 and Mexico fans came in here saying that afterwards, we'd laugh them out of here and rightly so.

Narc83 repped this.
  21. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Thanks for the video. Medford made Sweden his bitch.

22. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay fair enough. Let me rephrase that. The scoreline wasn't representative of the run of play during the game. It was 100% representative of the result. I stand by the second half of my statement. That was the most even 4-0 game I've ever seen.
    Well sure. My comment was to prevent people from expecting the same result Saturday and then making these threads unreadable after we tie them 0-0.

23. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Yup

24. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I disagree on the bolded. Korea upped their tempo in the second half and really pushed Mexico back for while, but this Korean team seems to lack that certain something in final third to really threaten on goal. Most of the limited offense came from getting the ball out wide right and swinging in crosses. Had one wide open header they should have scored on but muffed it.

Mexico looked pretty good, much better than their HEX form, more possession, creativity, variety, and movement off the ball. I think Herrera is doing a good job in righting the ship. Though I wonder what will happen when he integrates their Euros into the team.

If they continue like this I see them getting out of their group. I then give them a puncher's chance against Holland or Chile, but less against Spain.

Strange, I would say Mexico is more likely to advance than us, but less likely to get to the QFs than us. Which is worse, being in the GOD, or running into the GOD in R16? This would be the second time for Mex in the last 3 WCs.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They couldn't match the Mexicans on the counter. Korea is not used to having the initiative, their style works better when they have to counter. On the other hand, Mexico is a team that depends a lot on the mental side: if they get scored on, they have a hard time coming back. But if they score, then they can go on a romp. You rarely see the USA beating teams by the "goleadas" Mexico inflicts, because our team tends to take the foot off the gas, or just scores too late for it.

When the Mexicans score one fairly early, they can go on to stomp on their rival 5-0 or 6-0. Score on them, though, and (unless they have no respect because it's some small team) it's game over. It was strange to see them lose confidence against Honduras in SPS, for example: they're not used to getting tied after being ahead 2-0.

That was the moment many (myself included) realized the players had no faith in Chepo.