Pre-match: USA vs. South Korea - February 1st, 2014 (Carson, CA)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Mario Balotelli, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So as someone who doesn't follow MLS that closely, with Klute gone who are the remaining LB options? Can Parkhurst play there?

2. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that the key characteristic is more "skill on the ball" than "getting forward" - splitting hairs here but still an important distinction. The outside back may not be bombing forward all the way to the end line, but should be effective in passing movements involving the RDM and RAM. Basically Jürgen prioritizes having an actual footballer on the pitch over a "real defender", whatever that means.

In any case I don't think Korea's B/C team is a litmus test for effective defense on the flanks, as their top wing options mostly play in Europe anyway.

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which leads to more skilled players capable of making better plays when we have the ball . . . but more tactical mistakes leading to scoring opportunities for the other team when we do not. He's making the best of a mediocre situation - the US is still at a want for producing highly skilled players in each position.

COMtnGuy and tab5g repped this.
  4. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Harrington is a LB. Parkhurst played there at least once, maybe 2 or 3 times, under JK already.

Truth be though, that having Klute and Sinovic sent out, means its DMB and/or Fabian in Brazil.

Marko72 and Sebsasour repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Cheeez Spursfan, missed ya, where u been?:)

I actually love Jurgen to pieces. Just think you cannot let the guy relax a moment......

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Evans and Harrington at rb/lb against ROK. Expect the reviews to read "Jurgen has this team playing well". Also excitedly anticipating he will play somebody out of his usual position.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Parkhurst can play left back and played for us there once I think. He is better at rb. Harrington plays left back for his club but his right leg is stronger and he can play just as well at right back, if not better, if it is crosses you are looking for.

7. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what was wrong with Klute? Wynalda must be fuming.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Lack of experience.

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Doubt there will be a long pre-game for this type of friendly.

Would guess kickoff would be at 5:07 (ET) as ESPN2 currently has just two hours for the game listed on their schedule at this point:
    http://espn.go.com/espntv/onair/index?start=2-01-14-3:00-PM

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the 22-man roster for the rest of the Camp also the roster for this game?

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    There's been no comment or confirmation on that question, afaik.

If I had to guess, I would say the roster is now set for the week through Saturday's friendly. (But there certainly is the possibility that changes could be made, for whatever reasons, possible injuries or whatever.)

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I know Mix is leaving to join his club in Norway. I guess the MLSers can stay longer together.

Maybe Bradley could join in for the friendly. Which leaves one more possible spot. Edu?

13. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard on The Best Soccer Show that Bradley will not play in this friendly

14. maverickman874

Jul 29, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great work on the list. Both squad players seem in to be in similar situations. Is it confirmed Mixx won't be playing the Korea game?

15. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was not aware of this. Source?

16. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note that SK went through a coaching change after this match and this isn't necessarily a good reflection of the current best XI. Most notable would be Ki (Sunderland) who had serious beef with the old manager.

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    and the Persian Zidane, the Persian Ronaldo, the Persian Buffon, etc.

USOutlaw16 and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  19. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's the post:

I think you're reading it wrong. All he says is that he's leaving Brazil soon, which, at the time he said it (Friday), was true for the whole team. They left from Brazil and arrived in LA on Saturday. He was named to the 22-man roster for the remainder of camp, which consists of training sessions and a game against SK, so I see no reason to indicate that he won't be playing.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ah, good. My mistake then. Any idea why Bradley is not joining at all?

21. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something about settling in at Toronto.

22. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never thought of that. Tweaking the ego that is Eric Wynalda is a great reason to make a player personnel decision. ;)

tab5g repped this.
  23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
  24. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    My read on this is that it is a polite fiction; Klinsmann doesn't need to see Bradley in this camp or this friendly to evaluate his spot on the World Cup roster, and bringing him in would disrupt a little of the flow of "here's our camp! let's go to Brazil! let's go back home! here's our friendly! yay us!" with that group of players.

25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Not sure how your take disagrees with (or classifies as "fiction") what the spokesman said --

JK doesn't need Bradley in Carson this week, and Bradley doesn't need to be there. I see nothing inconsistent with the player and the coach agreeing "it was best for him to get settled with his new club."

Contrast that with say Parkhurst's situation, as there likely is a real need for that player to come in for the final week of camp to see if/how he might best fit in with the USMNT and JK's possible plans/needs for this first half of 2014.

Martin Fischer repped this.