Pre-match: USA vs. South Korea - February 1st, 2014 (Carson, CA)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Mario Balotelli, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No different compared to US with MLS/Liga MX players in the full national team. Think of it as K/J-league (only 1 guy plays in China & he happens to play for "Man City" of Asia) vs MLS/Liga MX (and few nordic league players).

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    It will be an official friendly, just not on an international date.

3. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going off the starters for the last two World Cup Qualifiers against Uzbekistan (6 K-League, 1 China, 1 J-League, 3 Europe) and Iran (7 K-League, 1 China, 1 J-League, 2 Europe). Since Korea was still fighting for qualification, I assumed that was your strongest team.

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    But will it be an "A-level" full international, or whatever FIFA's labeling is -- since it is not in a FIFA international match period?

And does that matter, at all?

Regardless, it will be an interesting match. (But likely not as insightful for everyone involved, and the fans, as compared to any friendlies played in March and in late May to early June.)

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    It will count as a full international friendly (all the other camp cupcake matches did). There is a way to designate a B friendly a scrimmage (They used to do so in Europe) but I don't know how they go about doing that.

It doesn't matter what players you select.

And yes, it matters. To FIFA. Me? I'm eating chili and drinking beer watching US Soccer in winter.

ttrevett and BostonRed repped this.
  6. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While ROK will have their Asian based squad, bear in mind that there is no reason why LigaMX sides are forced to release US players on these non-FIFA dates. Historically these friendlies are only for MLS and Scandinavian players since those leagues are not playing right now. We have never convinced a LigaMX side to release a US player for the Jan/Feb Camp Cupcake matches.

7. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing they'll release the Mexican NT players, though.

8. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since then SK went through a coaching change and several of the European-based players regained their starting places. There was an (alleged) rift between Euro- and Korean-based players and the coach at the time was basically rented from a K-League club a la Herrera/Mexico.

dudedudedude and blacksun repped this.
  9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Oh good, nothing like a good 'we will have more of a 'B' team than you' argument to kick things off for the next 9 weeks.

AutoPenalti repped this.
  10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    That's what we get when friendlies are arranged outside of FIFA's international match calendar and call-up date ranges.

(It's sooooo hard to be a soccer fan these days.)

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    It still irks me even today when I watch the highlights and see that bullshit penalty given against us. Thank God Friedel saved it.

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  12. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this would likely be a Camp Strudel type friendly, this might be the best chance for Mike Magee to at least get a look, he at least deserves one IMO.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeap, teams do not have to release players in Liga MX, so if the USA wants to use any they would have to request them on a team by team basis.

Some teams may say ok, some/most teams will say no.

Yes, the Mexican NT makes tons of money for the Liga MX owners, so they always seem to release players for all the "Partidos Moleros".

But many coaches are not happy about it, just as Tuca.

[​IMG]

14. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The game's in my neck of the woods. Hopefully, I'll attend it live.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That's the ideal way to attend any match! :)

Pl@ymaker, truefan420 and tab5g repped this.
  16. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    All the Latin American leagues do the same. The Brazilian league loves to use these opportunities to market their home grown talents.

17. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Not exactly my neck of the woods (San Jose) but I've made a vow that if it's under 6 hours driving time, I'm going and that's that.

The Chile game was pretty darned fun last time at Carson. If memory serves, it's when Agudelo made his debut and was the best player on the pitch even though he was a late sub.

18. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also marks the only goal that Boon Boo Ree scored for the USA :(

exref repped this.
  19. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that as a Korean name and was wondering why I didn't remember having a Korean-American on the team.

20. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha. Too bad Alex Yi's career got cut short.

21. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Cool. Are you buying tickets when they go on sale? I don't know anyone that would commit that much in advance. So if I go, I'll be getting tickets later.

22. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I will probably buy when they go on sale Friday. StubHub sent me something for a pre-sale that started a couple of days ago but the seat selection was really poor and they didn't have anything but singles in the midfield section. The Chile game was pretty packed and I'm assuming the Korea game will be the same because of the local Korean population.

23. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ah. Yea, If I go, I'll be looking for the cheap seats on the end line. My guess is that those will sellout first. So the more and more I think about it, don't know if I'm going lol. I might have to wait til the next LA game when my circumstances have changed. But, we'll see. I haven't decided for sure yet, but I doubt I'll buy tix right when they go on sale. But I'll check things out in later January.

24. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Now that we have the Camp Cupcake roster, we can start projecting the line-up for this one:

-----------Rimando----------
    Evans--Gonzalez--Besler--Harrington
    Zusi---Beckerman--Mix--Alexander
    ---------Donovan---EJ------------

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    GK: Sean Johnson
    RB: DeAndre Yedlin
    CB: Omar Gonzalez