News: USA vs. Mex - April 2014 (Phoenix, AZ)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by doogiemo, Jan 27, 2014.

1. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    #126 bmo180, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    GK-Rimando, S Johnson, Irwin
    RB- Parkhurst, Yedlin
    CB-Besler, Gonzalez, Goodson, Orozco
    LB-Beasley, Castillo
    CM-Beckerman, Bradley, Edu, Feilhaber, Gil
    W-Donovan, Zusi, Davis
    F- Dempsey, EJ, Wondo, Magee

Some other guys who could be in contention for a spot:
    Klute, Rowe, Pontius, Yedlin, Okugo, G John, Schuler, Hedges, Jean-Baptiste, Zardes, DeLeon, Farrell, Sarkodie, Torres, Corona, Arriola, Eric Alexander, Corey Ashe, Michael Harrington, Seth Sinovic, Gomez, Evans, Mcinerney, Bruin, Myers, Duka, O'Neil

and yeah I dont want Evans on the team anymore

2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    If J. Green files his one time switch, wouldn't Klinsmann want him to come to this game? Would BM let him come since this isn't an official FIFA date?

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I'm guessing no. And not too many (or any) players will be flying across an ocean to get from their club to a mid-week non-FIFA date friendly in Arizona in early April.

4. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    This game is last chance for Castillo and Orozco to prove their worth. Corona and Torres are both definitely out of the running. Gomez has a very small chance.

Also the last chance for Edu and Feilhaber - they really have to shine and make an impression.

Davis, Wondo and Magee won't make the final team.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    At least 1 of those will make 30 man provisional roster. All bets are off after that...

6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, except, Green is not even playing or being part of the rotation. There is a chance they may let him go.

7. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Rimando would be right there with Guzan and Howard if he weren't fun-sized.

We've seen Howard get shelled multiple times. We've seen Guzan get shelled like once. And Rimando hasn't played any games against anyone good enough to shell him. He's a really, really good keeper and there's nobody I'd want as the #3 than him, but the argument that he hasn't been blown out yet isn't the one to make if you're trying to convince people he should get a shot to move up the depth chart.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    While I wouldn't argue that Rimando should be the starter for this team, I will say that his size has never been a hindrance in his career.

Jorge Campos was a great keeper on the right team. So was Kasey Keller.

You have to fully utilize their best skills to see the best value.

9. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When does FIFA require the 30 man roster summited? This rush to get Julian Green into the US setup kind of reminds me of the David Regis situation back in 1998. Now I know Regis was coming in to start right out of the gate but is just has a similar feel in a way.

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Winoman and soccersubjectively repped this.
  11. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jorge Campos was a backup behind Zack Thornton for the Chicago Fire. I doubt very much that he would ever have played for the USMNT if he was US player.

I think Kasey Keller is significantly taller than Nick Rimando.

I think it is a fair, if speculative, argument that Rimando would be a world-class keeper if he was 6'1" or more.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  12. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    I know I prefer to have a taller gk on the field against germany. For this game however, not so much of a concern. I don't see why we schedule this game, too a big a chance that someone goes all "Marquez" and we have to deal with a stooooopid injury. I don't see any reason to play nice with the mexies (I don't consider a big payday important when we are trying to get ready for the WC).

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The people who work for US Soccer care about big paydays.

This is a SUM event.

14. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We schedule the game because Mexico is a good team and playing together against good teams is ... good. And the money, regardless of your belief that it's not important. And when has a US player been seriously hurt by a Mexican player going all "Marquez" - the original didn't even hurt anybody as the Mexican just aren't that good at being thugs.

15. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, US Soccer should be ashamed of themselves for playing this game in Arizona. The state of intolerance doesn't deserve this game. It should be moved to a state that doesn't seek to legitimize bigotry and discrimination. They should play in California or Texas.

Dirt McGirt and Dr. Gamera repped this.
  16. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    We won't learn anything new by playing the green rats YET AGAIN. If we are serious about preparing for Brazil we should try a new/different challenge. Over the last year "the Mexican just aren't that good" period. It's a poor choice from an on-the-field performance perspective, which is all I care about.

17. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will learn, if the game is serious, which of our players can compete against a decent World Cup-level side. You are entitled to your opinion but, IMHO, you sell Mexico short as a quality opponent, whether through bias or poor soccer analysis.

No money, no program.

tab5g repped this.
  18. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarcasm?

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Who else is available in April as an opponent?

It's a short trip for Mexico on a non-FIFA player release date.

It is what it is. The players (who are available) and staff will all learn something from this match, and the fed (and SUM) will make some nice money from the event.

FWIW, this first mid-week in April is in conflict with the first leg of the CCL semifinals (which will include 3 teams from MLS/LigaMX) -- so the rosters, in addition to not having much of anyone available from foreign leagues could be farther impacted by club duties.

20. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness to Arizona, that law regarding businesses refusing service to homosexuals was vetoed by the governor.

21. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    In fairness to @TrueCrew, that veto regarding the law about refusing service to homosexuals happened after the post in question.

22. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Liga MX players play for us? They don't have to release players right?

23. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine, but I still provided an example of Arizona actually doing the right thing for once.

24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness, to TrueCrew, he brought politics into a soccer forum (and not even with good reason, this was nothing like what happened with Ukraine, for example), lambasted an entire state, and then used Texas as a model presumably of tolerance and understanding. Especially ironic considering that his home state of Ohio (along with several others) was mulling over a very similar law. It was a ridiculous law with little in the way of popular support that would've been struck down by the State courts anyway, even if Brewer didn't (rightly) veto it.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  25. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States