News: USA vs. Mex - April 2014 (Phoenix, AZ)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by doogiemo, Jan 27, 2014.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those numbers mean next to nothing when Rimando isn't facing the A teams of other countries for the most part while Timmy/Guzan regularly do face the A teams and mostly while doing so in higher pressured matches.

It's a reoccurring mistake I see on BS to compare stats across different levels of competition. The stats do not matter for the most part. It's like comparing a scorer in the NBA to a scorer in college based off stats. What's the point?

BTW, there's a reason Timmy/Brad are starting EPL keepers and Rimando is not, and no it's not because Rimando has rejected multiple bids from EPL level clubs who sorely want him in their net.

CTS26 repped this.
  2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    So a fair comparison would be Rimando's MLS stats against Howard's, Guzan's, Keller's and Freidel's MLS stats, right? Same level of competition, correct?

3. USASOCCERREVOLUTION+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    +1

4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but the context would be awful.

The unfortunate reality for you stats lovers is comparing stats from different levels of competition or players at different points in their careers is a near worthless exercise. You're simply not going to find the stats you're looking for which show an MLS lifer and NT B/C teamer is near the same level as starting EPL GK's who are NT A/B teamers who face different levels of competition with their clubs and the NT. Would you compare a UCL GK to a CCL GK on statistics? An EPL/UCL GK's GAA to that of his backup's GAA in the FA Cup? An NASL GK's GAA to that of an MLS GK's GAA? That's pretty much what you're arguing, that you can.

What you could do is compare Rimando's MLS stats to a guy like Guzan when he was here, then make an argument that with a similar future career trajectory he might be the same level GK, or Rimando's B/C team appearances to Guzan's B/C team appearances, but even that's prognostication, never mind that at Rimando's current age that wouldn't work all that well.

5. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Great game Howard.

Sorry, I know it's a cheap shot. Liverpool was on fire today, not sure what any other GK could have done.

6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Getting a work permit for an American to play in England is tough, as a goalie it's almost ridiculous. How many Mexican keepers have a European resume? One?

7. Kaptain_Amerika

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what I find more annoying, seeing your obnoxious mug in every US thread or reading the negative/sarcastic responses that you usually post....

8. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #83 AutoPenalti, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    Glad to see someone hates me on this board.

You know, it doesn't hurt me nor you to use the ignore button, so go right ahead and use it, it's there for a reason.

By the way, It's nice to see this as your first constructive post since December.

9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    To answer my own question, Howard's GAA average against those teams is 0.53 which beats Rimando's GAA of 0.55

Records appear to be 19 wins, 2 ties and 2 losses for Howard vs 9 wins, 1 tie and no losses for Rimando.

Still failing to see the significant gap. Both keepers appear to be stellar when they wear our colors.

tab5g repped this.
  10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #85 tab5g, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    Yeah, but you can't see the obvious differences in club careers and how those make/determine a player's quality and worth.

Just like Thomas Dooley was always significantly a better defender than Eddie Pope ever was and how Earnie Stewart was a class greatly above Cobi Jones. ;)

You see, if you play or make it at a UEFA club, you are a better USMNT player than someone who had a very solid to great MLS career.

(And yes, that one season Jones spent at Coventry City probably did make and define his career as a player.)

jeff_adams repped this.
  11. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Yeah, I guess you are right. I remember how much better Jovan Kirovski was than Landon Donovan.

dna77054 repped this.
  12. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah this. If Rimando was/is as good as Howard/Guzan he would have left MLS around the same time. Rimando was traded from DC to NYRB to RSL in one off-season for a reason. Not because he's bad, but because he's replaceable.

GAA's are not a good gauge of how well a goalie is doing. There are eleven people on the field to play defense and stop the other team from scoring, not just one man. Jimmy Nielsen has the lowest GAA in MLS history not because he was great (he wasn't) but because Kansas City's PAPPA was significantly lower than the rest of the league. Even on that same list Josh Saunders has a 1.20, only .01 behind Rimando, and Saunders was a third string keeper at RSL this past year. Think of it this way, a keeper who has a crummy defense is likely to get lots of shots on him, which inevitably translates to a higher GAA. But a keeper who has a great defense like SKC will not get that many shots and have a lower GAA. Nielsen only made 68 saves this past year. That's two a game and that includes those easy slow rollers a gk can pick up with one hand. His GAA was a .88, which sounds great, but one in three shots was scored on him this year, which is not great.

As for specific differences, a lot of people talk about Rimando's foot skills as if that's his best attribute. While he is good with his feet, so are Guzan and Howard. Both keepers can take goalkicks with either foot confidentially. Rimando is shorter, five/six inches than Howard/Guzan, and this is noticeable. Rimando isn't as explosive on extended saves as Howard or Guzan nor as efficient on crosses, although this goes back to the height issue. Because of this Rimando's game has changed into sitting back more than the average goalkeeper, which he has made work in MLS but I have my doubts about it on the international stage against tall forwards.

It really comes down to watching a lot of film on the three goalkeepers and being able to describe in words what a goalie should have or is able to do because stats aren't just there yet for goalies.

West Coast Futbol repped this.
  13. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I agree that stats are easily overrated, misused, ect. Fact is, when a keeper makes mistakes balls end up in the goal. Those stats are more meaningful.

Lifetime MLS stats:

Kasey Keller 1.06 GAA
    Brad Friedel 1.11 GAA
    Nick Rimando 1.19 GAA
    Brad Guzan 1.41 GAA
    Tim Howard 1.47 GAA

All those guys are great keepers. Even little Nicky....

A huge part of goalkeeping is not making the spectacular save, it's being in the right position at the right time to make the easy save. It's anticipating what will happen next. It's helping your team keep possession of the ball so it's not constantly being driven down your throat. Rimando is very good at that.

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I think you may have missed the point of the sarcasm in the post you quoted.

Every player is "replaceable."

I'm just not convinced that there is in fact some "significant/great" gap in quality between GKs 1-2 and GK 3 that JK apparently is set on for this year.

And I doubt JK and his staff are concerned with the "size" of such a gap on their depth chart.

If there is some player who would be (even) more comparable to Guzan and Howard, I'm guessing that player, and not Rimando, will be going to WC2014. (Because, as noted, every player is replaceable to some extent.)

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't agree with you. I think he is one of the funnier posters on big soccer. I enjoy his humor. As he already told you, just put him on ignore if you don't like his posts. You don't need to be bullying a kid on the internet.

16. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we were talking transfers I would agree with you. Howard and Guzan have greater transfer value than Rimando, because they are younger and have been in Europe awhile. But the game is played on the field, not on Xbox. Transfer values really mean nothing on the field where Rimando is a highly experienced and consistent player.

17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry man but were not talking about Xbox or transfer values. Ages is rimando a favor where he is in the middle of his prime at 34. He just isn't as good as either. Plane and simple. Not arguing this anymore.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well like I say above your post, is there a chance other than injury that Howard and Guzan won't make the world cup?

Would you say the same about Rimando?

Would you be shocked if another goal keeper goes to the WC over a fit Rimando?

19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would. He's a good choice for a 3rd GK...

20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I wouldn't be shocked regardless of who the 3rd GK is for 2014 World Cup.

And potentially there are other (younger) GKs (who may in fact now be "better" GKs than Rimando) that the US could take as the 3rd GK to Brazil, but generally a coaching staff will opt to take a veteran and a "good locker room guy" to fill that role of 3rd-stringer when everyone else on the roster will rightly view themselves as a starter or 2nd-option at their position.

I'm not claiming that Rimando is "as good" as either Howard or Guzan -- for if he were, he'd honestly be battling them for the #1 and/or #2 GK spot on the US roster.

I was only drawn into the discussion to refute the initial claim that there is some "great gap" in quality below Howard/Guzan on the goalkeeping depth chart for the US. Any gap or fall-off from #1 or #2 down to #3 GK on the depth chart is not "significant" and not at all likely (too big of) a concern for the US coaches.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say the gap between #2 and #3 is bigger than the gap between #1 and #2, which is as far as I would go.

I think #1 and #2 have their spots secure. #3 not so much and there could be a challenge for that spot.

tab5g repped this.
  22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Also, let's face it. There's a bias against GK's under 6 feet tall. IMO, 5'10 does fine.

tab5g repped this.
  23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #98 tab5g, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    Agree with this. And at this level (guys who are in the USMNT pool) there really isn't "too much" separating the depth cart of anyone in the top 5-6 at any position, imo. The fact that the US has two very good to great options at 1 and 2 GK currently doesn't mean that those players are significantly/greatly better than option 3, or that #3 is currently significantly ahead of 4, 5, or 6.

24. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I think there is some of this to the equation of course.

But I tend to prefer to look at it as a legitimate and general preference for taller GKs (as opposed to a bias against netminders of Rimando's or Jon Busch's stature, for example).

25. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Would you guys be willing to make a separate goalkeeper thread?