News: USA vs. Mex - April 2014 (Phoenix, AZ)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by doogiemo, Jan 27, 2014.

1. sweethome_bama

Jul 21, 2013
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS All-Stars vs Club America

tab5g repped this.
  2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you don't know what you're watching buddy

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Well, one of us likely doesn't know.

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    fwiw, the CONCACAF CL semifinals are in early April, and could/would perhaps involve some players from either or both USA and MEX and impact the available rosters from this non-FIFA date friendly.

Semifinals
    Team 1 Agg. Team 2 1st leg 2nd leg
    Winner QF4 SF1 Winner QF1 Apr 1–3 Apr 8–10
    Winner QF3 SF2 Winner QF2 Apr 1–3 Apr 8–10

5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I'm gonna go with the professional scouts that back up my opinion over yours. But we can politely end our conversation here.

6. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can shear a sheep many times, but skin it only once.

raza_rebel repped this.
  7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Got any links to scouts or anyone worthwhile assessing Howard/Guzan to be at a significantly better GKing level than (or one that isn't even "close" to) the level that Rimando is at?

I'd enjoy seeing all of this available information and consensus that is out there backing up your opinion on this topic.

8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Truly an A- team. If I were randomly skimming qualifier lineups and saw this my only surprise would have been Rimando. By April, might have to add Edu over Beckerman.

tab5g repped this.
  9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No links just some conversations I've had with a division II college coach, professional scouts and a soon to be director of youth development for a Dutch side. My brother is currently climbing the ranks as a coach me and his buddy's got drinks and well I couldn't help but ask their professional opinion on just about everything usa related.

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #60 tab5g, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    So your friends and family agree with you. Got it.

My brother's barber, who was a division I college coach, and my bartender, who plays GK for his indoor team, do not agree as to the "great" significance of any talent gap amongst the USMNT GKs in question.

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't call all of them friends only one is. The others I don't really know. And there's my bro. But to simply dismiss it as friends and family is a joke. These guys have a wealth of soccer knowledge. Far more than any of us that post on theses boards. We do it cause its a passion they do it cause its a passion and a job.

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    If that were actually the case, I doubt they'd agree with statements such as:

13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha their not close but like I said this conversation is going no where. We can agree to disagree.

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Probably because the conversation didn't start at all that useful of a place, or with all that meaningful of an idea or claim (that could fully be supported or refuted one way or the other).

No, you must agree completely. ;)

West Coast Futbol repped this.
  15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well to fair just about every debate on a sports forum meets this

Hahaha

16. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    Not sure why the movie "dumb and dumber" came to mind after reading the last page and a half...

Anyway... How about that US vs. Mex game? Anybody seen a confirmed date?

Dirt McGirt and BigTimeBull repped this.
  17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Huh? All stats I provided are national team stats. You can look them up yourselves.

Howard's and Guzan's MLS stats are worse than Rimando's I bet.

18. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Rimando's has 12 USMNT caps. Can you point out which game he was significantly weaker than Guzan or Howard? One game would be enough to sway me to your opinion.

tab5g repped this.
  19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    That was a very good movie, though.

I'd imagine if someone had seen a confirmed date, then that information would be posted here.

20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Sure, but if Howard or Guzan would have played in any of those 12 USMNT games that Rimando played, those top-choice guys likely would have scored a goal or two.

21. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a reason Rimando has played against Honduras, El Salvador (x3), Cuba, Belize, Guatemala, Panama, Chile, Wales, Canada.

22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gold cup games and b squad matches are not the same. MLS and EPL are not the same. Rimando isn't as good as them and it's not close. That's not a knock on him. He's a good solid player. But he isn't in the same class.

23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yes there is a reason, but it has nothing to do with there being some great or significant gap in GK quality between Rimando and those ahead of him on the depth chart.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    While it's important to have a functional league, with academies and a constant flux of talent, keep in mind league quality does not correlate with World Cup results. Switzerland is a seed with a league ranked #13 in Europe, while England is not with the #2 league in the world.

While MLS is still a relatively weak league (if it were not, it'd beat the Mexican clubs for the CCL once in a while), there are some quite good teams in it, and some very good players. That matters a lot.

25. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    What is Howard's record against those teams? GAA?