Pre-match: USA vs Costa Rica, September 6th 2013

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    you have it backwards. IF there was any prejudice it would work in our favor. The USA is basically through to the WC; it is CR that the Mexicans might worry about.
    Having said that, the Mexican FIFA refs have generally been very good. I would rather a Mexican ref than one from Antigua who does not know what he is doing.

2. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, Chiquidracula is one of the best refs in the region - I'm actuallypleased he's assigned...

(Of course, now that I've said that, he'll likely have a howler of a match...) :rolleyes:

3. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see both sides of the argument.

CR is less likely than the US to not qualify so one would argue that Dracula wouldn't favor the Ticos.

But there is something about cheap yellows carrying over and suspending our players for the Mexico game that one could be somewhat justified in worrying about.

And as far as FIFA picking high integrity referees, does no one remember this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lu_Jun

4. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

And yep.

canchon repped this.
  5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Of course, you can go back to the @ Hondo match. Quesada from CR was the ref (he is a bad ref to begin with). Our next opponent was to be CR.

We also had Moreno @ Jam right before the Panama match in June. I think Zusi picked up a 2nd yellow late in that match.

6. mclip_66

mclip_66 Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yeah I would be more worried about soft yellow than I would be and it being outright one sided. In face that ideal result for Mexico is a US win in which 2 or 3 of our key players sitting on a yellow get a 2nd just in time for the Mexico match.

While I don't see anyway in Concacaf of getting around using US, Mex, CR and other hex refs given the nature of the big fish little fish setup that is Concacaf. I do think they should consider the timing of the scheduling and you should not ref the team your team will face next as it is possible via Red and/or Yellows to influence the next match.

7. mclip_66

mclip_66 Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    On a 2nd note while I know that getting 1 point out of this is great for getting to Brazil and even 0 wont really affect our chances. I would really like to see us win this to show we are more than just trying to get to Brazil but are moving towards being a force at the World Cup. One that could win a knock out game or 2. It would also help to grow the confidence that will be needed to pull that off.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I looked at my prefered lineup and asked myself who would play Mexico if all yellow carriers got a second at CR. Actually, the depth we now have means the second team would be quite strong.

Jones and Williams could play instead of Cam and Bradley.

EJ could play for Altidore.

Edu or Brooks could play for Besler. Edu was a key in stopping mexico at Azteca last time based on Mexican critics, not BS posters. Parkhurst can play cb as well.

Johannsson should be available to sub for Dempsey or Altidore.

Donovan will be there.

The time has arrived to be big and laugh at cards.

SamsArmySam and exref repped this.
  9. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aron just scored again. I'm usually reluctant to bring new players into big games, but I'm on the Bacon bandwagon

ckl26, canchon and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  10. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it would be absolutely wild if we picked uo three or four yellows in CR and then came back to beat el tricicleta in Columbus.

That noise you would hear would be mexico city exploding into a blackhole of despair, and there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth. It would be apocalyptic.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We can use him wide left yesterday. I have my finger and toes crossed.

12. soccerjon

soccerjon New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Even though the US is at 19th right now because of the win streak and how strong play is replacing weak play if they win out in CONCACAF the US FIFA ranking will be 1120 +/- 10 (Trust me I'm a bit of a numbers guy). That has a shot to be in the top 7 and to earn a seed. The US should take these games one at a time not worry about yellow cards or Mexico and look to win the next four.

13. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to bring in the Bacon around the 65th-70th minute to cause some havoc around the CR penalty area. I could see him popping up in the right spot to get his first USMNT goal to kill the game (or tie it up).

14. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the USMNT wins out and is in the top 7, expect FIFA to come up with a formula that uses the result from the 2006 WC (where they finished 25th) to, ahem, conveniently drop them out of the top 7. Top 7 ranking does in no way assure a seed.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, he's a vampire, not a werewolf....

NMMatt and Bluecat82 repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Since he is deeply Christian (evangelical), and since there is an association of vampires with demonic forces in such culture, he prefers to be called "Chiquimarco" instead.

Surprisingly, Alfredo Pöge and his IFFHS had him rated below Archundia (who seemed to hate Canada) as the second best ref in the region.

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, it actually helps Mexico if the US whupped Costa Rica. Right now CR, Mex, Honduras and Panama, in that order, are fighting for 2.5 slots. Only if all of them come in ahead of Mexico do they miss the WC outright, and only if 2 of the 3 of them do does it force Mexico into the playoff. A loss by any of them, helps Mexico at this point. Especially if Mexico beats Honduras in their home game on the same day.

Truth be told, as bad as they've played up to this point, Mexico still probably has a 90% chance to qualify (there are only 5 teams still meaningfully competing for the 3.5 berths, and Mexico's got more points than 2 of them), and if they win the next one it probably puts them all but mathematically in regardless.

18. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Seeds are not earned, they are given. Fulfilling the criteria alone is not enough to guarantee a seed. I've said this before but there are a number of people who earnestly believe that fulfilling the last known criteria is enough. The Exco will meet, choose their seeds, and then announce their latest seeding justification criteria.

NMMatt and COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I know you're a fan of Williams but I dont think Klinsy rates him high number one (didn't even make the bench for Bosnia). Secondly, Williams has been getting mop up duty for Reading in the Championship. Three, a Williams/Jones central midfield is extremely defensive. I get that we're away at Costa but I'd rather go with Diskerud (Bradley's backup at the CAM role) and Jones. Furthermore, this US team is much different then other US teams in the past...12 game win streak, playing fantastic soccer, tremendous confidence...I dont see us coming out with two defensive midfielders in the center. Also, I think Cameron if anyone, is Jones' backup. I think Klinsy also rates Klejstan higher then Williams as seen in Bosnia. With that said, Williams is still very young and has had some good matches (albeit a looong time ago) in the BL.

21. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    So he will suck instead:)

SamsArmySam and nbarbour repped this.
  22. SJB

SJB BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2001
    Noy only are they ahead of two of them, they have HOME games left vs both of them. Could they mess it up? Sure but they still seem pretty good bets to make the top four and if you look at the talent, to hold their spot in the top three.

23. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why, but I get the feeling that trotting out a 4-4-2 isn't such a bad idea for CRC.

Johannsson — Altidore
    Donovan — Jones — Bradley — Dempsey
    Johnson — Besler — Gonzalez — Evans
    Howard
    Or a 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1
    Altidore
    Fabian — Donovan — Dempsey
    Jones — Bradley
    Beasley — Besler — Gonzalez — Evans

Altidore
    Donovan
    Fabian — Jones — Bradley — Dempsey
    Beasley — Besler — Gonzalez — Evans
    Howard​

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I never knew I was a fan of Williams. Actually I put him there so I would be using players we know Klinsmann will call up.

25. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #425 AutoPenalti, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    Here's my 23:

Howard, Guzan, Rimando
    Evans, Parkhurst, Cameron, Brooks, Gonzalez, Besler, Beasley, Castillo
    Jones, Bradley, Diskerud, Kljestan, Corona, Beckerman, Fabian