USA vs Canada, Jan. 31 Frisco, Texas

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Calci0, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I guess Rapinoe will be back for this match.

2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Hagen would have been called in instead of Sam Mewis. While it's a long-shot either player makes the World Cup squad, you'd have to think that Hagen would be one of the first choices called in due to an injured forward than Mewis for an injured CM.

4. weelilbit

weelilbit Member

Nov 14, 2013
    We're SO deep on forwards though: Wambach, Morgan, Leroux, Press, Rodriguez. Horan? Granted, that is for 2-3 positions so 4-6 spots on the 23-person roster, but still.

For CM alone we've got Holiday, Tymrak, Lloyd, and (cannot remember her specific specialty 'cause she's been all over recently) Averbuch. And Boxx if she makes a comeback after this pregnancy. Both are definitely long shots, but I can see wanting to bring MewTwo in and get her some pro time; Hagen's well taken care of at Bayern.

5. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    When it was announced that Morgan will be still out with injury, I thought for sure this a chance for Hagen but apparently not.

6. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Tymrak is not CM. I think Boxx should be back because right there's no one who can replace her.

7. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think it has more to do with her availability. My assumption is Bayern don't want to let her go.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Canadian roster

GK- Stephanie Labbé | SWE / KIF Örebro DFF
    GK- Karina LeBlanc | USA / Chicago Red Stars
    GK- Erin McLeod | USA / Houston Dash
    D- Kadeisha Buchanan | USA / West Virginia University
    D- Carmelina Moscato | USA / Seattle Reign FC
    D- Marie-Eve Nault | SWE / KIF Örebro DFF
    D- Lauren Sesselmann | USA / Houston Dash
    D- Rhian Wilkinson | Unattached / sans club
    D- Sura Yekka | CAN / Brams United
    D- Emily Zurrer | SWE / Jitex BK
    M- Kaylyn Kyle | USA / Boston Breakers
    M- Diana Matheson | USA / Washington Spirit
    M- Sophie Schmidt | USA / Sky Blue FC
    M- Desiree Scott | USA / FC Kansas City
    M- Brittany Baxter | unattached
    F- Adriana Leon | USA / Chicago Red Stars
    F- Christine Sinclair | USA / Portland Thorns FC
    F- Josee Belanger | Unattached / sans club
    F- Jonelle Filigno | USA / Sky Blue FC

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Why is it Scott, Sesselmann and Vine have a huge problem with how Canada pays them...but they dont have any problem making the games. If they really wanted to make a stand isnt this the place to make it?

10. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't know about the other two but Scott rules the mid-field against the USA which can't be a bad bargaining chip for contract in Europe. If anything you know she is rugged. So why skip it?

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If they r looking for a CBA with Canada they r never going to get a better shot to make a statement than the year before Canada hosts WC. If they arent looking for that then Vine needs to stop crying about it. Scott can play anywhere, tho I notice the CSA has her listed as FCKC on their roster, but she isnt getting more money out of Canada by refusing to play for KC.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If u trust extended weather forecasts its looking like good weather for Friday.

goaleemama repped this.
  13. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well technically they haven't appeared at the game yet so if they really wanted to make a statement they would be named to the roster (like they have been) and then they wouldn't show up. I agree with your statement, though.

14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The statement being, in that case, that they never want to play on the CNT again. One of the cardinal rules in situations like this one, if you intend to maintain any kind of minimally decent relationship, is that you never give someone the shaft without telling them in advance what you're going to do.

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Strategy made no sense to me. If they didnt like KC as has been hinted they should have asked to be traded. If it was about money they should have gone to KC and make their complaint. Let the team champion ur cause instead of blindsiding them. The CSA is simply pretending it didnt happen. Makes no sense at all.

16. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i fully expect vine to tweet a complaint about how the csa is not listing the correct club for his client.

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sura Yekka just turned 17, but she looked good at the recent Brazilian tournament. She kinda reminded be of a young Crystal Dunn, charging rapidly up field from her right fullback spot & confidently taking part of the attack. Buchanan at 18, seems to have taking over the starting spot at cb along side Sesselmann.
    Kyle, Matheson, Schmidt & Scott are pretty solid at mid. Nothing new here, though Canada still needs to find that one play maker aka Tymrak. Schmidt had a great performance at the Brazil tourney. Look for her to be the most dangerous attacker, as the upfront combo of Sinclair & Leon weren't quite jelling. Leon's strong, but a bit slow footed. Sinclair does need a quicker partner. Hopefully they put McLeod or LeBlanc in goal as Labbe messed up in Chile's recent upset of Canada

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    this has been covered by the equalizer site but it still shows just what a fierce rivalry it's going to be between Canada/USA

Tancardi's non call against Lloyd at the Olympics

and later Tanccardi making fun if the incident while whining 'we wuz robbed'

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    What does the US gain in playing Canada so much?

20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Revenue

21. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #46 FawcettFan14, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    I generally admire soccer players who are not afraid of physical play. I also admire competitors who put everything on the line to win. But the head stomp by Tancredi was dirty, reckless, and dangerous. She's a big player...we aren't talking about Diana Matheson here. She could've easily caused Carli Lloyd some brain or neck damage.

The act itself was horrible enough. Yukking it up on TV afterward is borderline sociopathic. The Canadian women's team is quickly dispelling the notion all Canadians are classy and more polite than Americans. From the interviewer opening the segment by labeling the "bitchiest" U.S. players, to Sinclair - the captain and supposed leader of the team - joining in on the action, to Tancredi showing absolutely no remorse, the entire thing is pathetic. Going into the Olympics, I admired the transformation Herdman had overseen, compared to the 2011 WWC debacle. For basically the first time ever, he had Canada playing some attractive soccer.

The near-victory over the U.S. inflated the entire Canadian team's ego, far beyond what they deserve. Nine times out of 10 the U.S. still beat them (the 10 is probably a draw, as they haven't beaten the U.S. since 2001). Average international sides like Chile can beat them. They aren't as good as they think they are. And the vengeful attitude they've assumed takes away any respect I might've had before.

In Friday's game, and every meeting thereafter, I hope the U.S. not only wins, but runs up the score as much as possible. The Canadians deserve nothing less than an ass-whipping, every time. After the racist comments allegedly directed at Leroux in Toronto, and after seeing this OTC interview (as no doubt the U.S. players have by now), emotions will be running high. I only hope the U.S. keeps it clean on the field. Don't sink to their level.

22. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think it was that forceful to break her neck or cause brain damage. Wow! It was one of those plays in football when you play cross town rivals. There's a big pile up and one of the guys you know from around the block on the other team steps on your hand while you are down and turns back and gives you a wink. Has anyone on her ever played sports against rivals? Now, of course you go to the sideline holding your hand but you're right back in the game the next play. It's not like she stopped, stood over her and STOMPED DOWN HARD. it was more of a back kick, definitely wasn't a NFL or NHL goon type play.

Boxx and Lloyd also have the rep as the enforcers for the NT.

23. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008

I missed the "bitchiest" US players segment...what is this about?

24. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #49 FawcettFan14, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    The temple is a very sensitive area to trauma. There could have been an injury even without Tacredi's full body weight. If Lloyd had not gotten up and carried on shortly after, Tancredi would've been in much hotter water.

Yes, I think Boxx and Lloyd can correctly be characterized as "enforcers." But to my knowledge they have never intentionally and maliciously tried to step on an opponent's head while wearing metal-studded cleats. As I said, I respect hard-nosed players. What Tancredi did falls into a different category.

Who knows, maybe she has apologized to Lloyd privately and the matter is settled. But when you go on TV and joke about it and say you wish you had left a mark as "evidence," it doesn't help your image. It just shows you have some serious character issues to sort out.

Choose to justify violent, unsporting behavior if you want, newsouth. I choose not to.

holden repped this.
  25. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    It's at the very beginning of the video posted above.