Pre-match: USA v. Russia, Nov. 14, 2012

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Oct 17, 2012.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    In all honesty, I really wouldn't care if we lost 5-0 or won 5-0. Sure, I would probably be happy that day if we won 5-0 and would be upset that day if we lost 5-0, but its not something that really matters long term. If we lose to Russia in a competition that matters, then well it sucks, but a friendly doesn't matter. Just like the Mexico friendly didn't really matter. Sure, it was great to beat our rivals and at the Azteca, but a friendly is not a must win game.

I was just researching our GK situation after posting, and realized that Howard didn't become the #1 until after the 2006 WC when he was 28. Guzan would be about 30 after the 2014 WC. Thats not too old, but Johnson, Hamid and some of the other younger guys might be a better option than a 30 year old who most likely would retire after 4 or 5 years.

Is Guzan more of a stop gap type that can do a solid job in a transitioning period after Howard or is he the answer for the 2018 cycle?

That is something that probably needs to be figured out sooner rather than later. I really don't want a situation to arise where Howard plays every game now until after the WC when he retires, and that leaves us with no GK's with International experience, and a question mark still looming about who will replace Howard.

Mr Martin repped this.
  2. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the guy changes his mind and ends up committing to the US, then he is welcome as far as I am concerned. We need an eventual replacement for 'Dolo and Parkhurst is a solid sub only. It's either Chandler or Lichaj and I'd like see to see either one called in.

Yeah, I'm annoyed with the guy, but team needs are more important than emotion.

manq360 and RevPOWA repped this.
  3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Some may even assert that Krasnodar is actually in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krasnodar

PS. Russia is ranked 12th by Elo. Anyone thinking of sending a B-/C squad there is off his rocker.

This an A-level friendly.

RevPOWA repped this.
  4. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I thought we were going to play them in Moscow on Christmas Day.

RevPOWA repped this.
  5. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russia looks really Capitalist these days. I think the words you're looking for are "Autocratic Cheating Scumbags."

Hachiko and RevPOWA repped this.
  6. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or "The Sellouts to the Putinocracy."

RevPOWA repped this.
  7. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's No Easy Way Out.

RevPOWA repped this.
  9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to think of what we are going to call us.

10. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be a great matchup, depends on which Russia team shows up. The one that beat Portugal? or the one that barely beat Azerbaijan and has only made the knockout stages of a major tournament once post-USSR?

If the good Russia shows up: 2-1 Russia
    If the bad Russia shows up: 2-0 USA

11. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Citizens of the Free World, that's what.

RevPOWA repped this.
  12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You keep telling yourself that every night.

manq360 and RevPOWA repped this.
  13. gsryank

gsryank Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would much rather have Howard in there especially if we have new players on the back line as people have suggested. I think Guzan should get his shot during the gold cup to start.

14. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than calling ourselves the Sellouts of the Evil Empire. But hey, to each his own, right?

RevPOWA repped this.
  15. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I like to think of us as "the shining sellouts on the hill".

manq360, FlipsLikeAPancake and RevPOWA repped this.
  16. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easily my new favorite -ism :)

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, 'if'. But that doesn't seem likely, unless his disaster of a season continues into the spring. Until then, there is little use in discussing him.

18. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Agreed. First, I'm not so sure Howard will retire after the 2014 WC - I could see him being involved at least in the 2015 Gold Cup (with a confederations cup berth on the line). He'll only be 39 in 2018, which as Friedel demonstrates can still be a very productive age.

Second, Guzan will have plenty of chances to prove himself at the club level if he continues to earn starts in the Premier League - I don't think there's a big difference between club level and international level for goalkeepers. You're either know how to make saves or you don't.

19. honest trade

honest trade Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to miss the point. Chandler and Dolo have comparable club resumes over the past year and a half. They are both regulars for their respective clubs and have played in a similar number of matches. Their average kicker ratings for last season are similar. And Chandler actually offers something going forward, which might be helpful to the national team given the scoring difficulties thus far in the JK era. I don't think it is accurate to say that Chandler doesn't deserve a call based on merit. I understand not wanting him on the team because he bailed before the GC and the start of qualifying, but I don't understand saying he doesn't deserve the call because he isn't good enough, won't help the team, or hasn't done enough at the club level.

20. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    As a huge Dolo fan I was thrilled by the way he played in the last WC and has played since, but in fairness as the WC moved through the early stages he appeared to wear down and his level of play was not as strong towards the end as it was in the beginning.

I think Dolo is someone that can play at a high level for one or two games but to have him as your primary starter going into 2014 I think is a mistake. I really hope we have a the combination of Chandler and Dolo next year.

honest trade and RevPOWA repped this.
  21. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    russia has capello looking for his 2nd tiwr guys

a team which beat portugal 1-0 and israel 4-0, and portugal 1-1 with northern ireland, so even if portugal beats russia un the return leg, rssia is ahead of them

ddi the usa guys get their visas yet???

usually takes almost a month to get it

so, check visa applications for who'ss going

22. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP, slightly. American swagger. Don't mess with.

23. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    if you visit russia go to st pete..

a cross between paris and venice

everything is overpriced, so in 2018 world cup bw prepared for excessive prices, making germany prices look cheap

24. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many goals against?

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Where have you been? We now measure defenders by their offensive production, so goals against are irrelevant.

Back to our match v Russia: Can we call long-range shots "Kuban Missiles?"

Edit: That would make long-range shots scored against us a Kuban Missile Crisis.