Pre-match: USA v. Russia, Nov. 14, 2012

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Oct 17, 2012.

1. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Not you too?

2. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on MLS Cup playoffs but I would like to see Gonzalez. Josh Gatt is the other player I'd like to see.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming everyone heals up and no one is hurt by November I'd call:

Goalkeepers: (3) Howard, Guzan, Hamid/Johnson (whoever is not in the MLS playoffs)

DEF: (8) Johnson, Castillo, Bocanegra, Cameron, Edu, Gonzalez/Besler/John (MLS playoff dependent), Parkhurst, Cherundolo

MID: (10) Dempsey, Donovan (MLS dependent), Bradley, Zusi, Williams, Corona, Kljestan, Jones, Gatt, Shea

FWD: (2) Gomez, Altidore (assumption being Eddie Johnson is with the Sounders)

----------Gomez
    Dempsey---Donovan-----Zusi
    -------Bradley----Williams
    Johnson-Bocanegra-Cameron-Cherundolo
    --------------Howard

You start your best 11 to get more time with them and after half you start to use the 6 subs so it eventually morphs to

-----------Gomez
    Shea------Corona-------Gatt
    -------Bradley--Williams
    Johnson-Edu--Cameron--Parkhurst
    --------------Guzan

4. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really this is the game where George John and Freddy Adu should be on the roster. No reason to bring 3 old defenders + Cameron, and Donovan, Zusi, EJ could very well be in the playoffs still.

5. bill0

bill0 Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    -He's expressed little desire to play for us

-He's not good enough to bend over backwards to accomodate.

-I agree about pragamatism. We need to spend the precious time we have prior to the Hex using players who we know will be available depending on injuries and form, and getting that group to gel so that we don't go into the Hex looking like a dumpster fire again. Timothy Chandler doesn't deserve a call up on merit, on behavior nor on situation.

quinn repped this.
  7. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bollocks. 10am?

8. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Problem with Whitbread is he will be 29 next year and I personally don't think Championship level of play is any better then MLS. Not exactly that much younger, would rather go find a younger MLS guy.

9. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Do you consider the Premier League better than MLS? Because last year Whitbread started 18 games in the premier league. DeMerit only started 29 games in the Premier League, and that was 3 years before the 2010 world cup, in which he was arguably our best centerback.

And the top half of the Championship is still a higher level than MLS at the moment (the avg. salaries are at least double, if that's any indication).

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's not an indication.

bmo180 and tab5g repped this.
  11. honest trade

honest trade Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't deserve a call based on merit? He has 47 starts in the BL since February 2011 with 3 goals and 4 assists. Dolo has 43 starts in that same time frame with 0 goals and 0 assists.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do. Player IQ sure as hell is quite a bit higher. I think a little less than half of MLS would be in League 1. I'd say the bottom 4-6 teams, maybe more would fight like hell not to get relegated. Although I also think the top 4-6 MLS clubs would comfortably finish in the top half of the table.

NE, Por, Chivas, Tor, Van, FCD, Col, Philly I would say could barely hack it in the Championship and would be lucky to stay up. Mostly League 1 quality as well when you get past the top 4-8 players on most clubs as well. Just my opinion though. Ream/Rogers, two of the better MLS players and two of the top players on their MLS teams so far have been complete failure at the Championship level. Findley has been a failure too.

bmo180 repped this.
  13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see your point (but not agree) until you made this statment, don't even think their club supports would back this one up. ;)

14. filiusterrae

filiusterrae Member

Aug 16, 2001
  15. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a great point--why do we even call Dolo up? He's shitty at scoring goals. He's only scored 2 in 86 games for the MNT!

orcrist, gsryank, RevPOWA and 2 others repped this.
  16. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did an interview with Rob Stone about a month ago where he discussed the January camp no longer being about rewarding MLS players with merit based caps just for the sake of doing so. That is, players that he does not expect to be a part of the national team picture. I'm picturing players like Larentowitz, Ricardo Clark and others.

He talked about getting the U23 team together more often and kind of implied that he would like to use Jnauary as that oppurtunity.

So I imagine January will be used to evaluate the younger MLS and Scandinavian players, which is good. Way better than just giving out caps to players that will never have an impact on the Nats.

RevPOWA and filiusterrae repped this.
  17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as we don't dump it.

STill I'd have to think there is some value in bringing in at least a few veterans to a camp full of kids.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  18. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jurgen has to use this camp for depth I will be seriously disappointed if more than 6 or 7 regular starters make the trip. Capello will be using this camp for depth as well...this is not a must-win, momentum building friendly like some of the early ones were. This is an experimental, I-need-to-find-new-players type game.

I agree with the idea of putting core guys around the new guys, but only to an extent. We don't need Howard and Dempsey out there.

I'd bring Guzan, Cameron, Edu, Castillo, Parkhurst, Bradley, Williams and then which ever familiar MLS players are available (eliminated before conference finals). The rest need to be prospects and players that have never been capped.

It's going to be interesting, and probably frustrating. Depending on MLS playoffs and Norway's cup battle we could be deprived of seeing Gatt, Diskerud and a whole host of MLS prospects.

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    First I've heard of it, but we've got to get JK leaning back in the other direction. BS will be in a world of hurt if there's no Camp Cupcake thread!

orcrist repped this.
  20. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I think you are on to something.

JK and Timmy are colluding, so just when JK's about to get fired for his disastrous start to the HEX, Timmy can come in to Sunil's office and give him the "I figured it's about time for me to start playing ball...I play, coach stays. He goes I go." speech.

tab5g and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Steve Cherundolo is a better defender than Tim Chandler at the moment. His 2012 form is pretty poor. If we absolutely want to look at a younger player at that spot, Eric Lichaj is the guy you'd look at.

And even that said, if you wanted to give his form the benefit of the doubt, there's also the matter of him being an epic flake, undeserving of any more slack or understanding from the USSF and our coaching staff. Again, we need that game to gel our roster and get one more solid look pre-Hex. We need to see who we can count on if Dolo falls of a cliff. Tim Chandler is not a viable guy to count on, and it's not because "Durrrr, he doesn't want to be 'Merican, screw him, herp-derpidty doo" meatballism. It's because "If Steve Cherundolo gets hurt or begins to be terrible, we need to see a guy we know we can count on in that event, and evaluate depth and plan accordingly"

22. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Rocky Theme plays in the background*

23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I would really like to see JK leave Howard behind. We know what he brings, and he will still be the starter. With that being said, I want to see what Guzan can do. Its nice to have a GK as good as Howard who can play every game for you, but Howard is not ageless, he will most likely retire from the USMNT after the WC, so we have to find out if Guzan is the next #1 for the USMNT. He needs some games for the National Team.

Either way whether Guzan is good enough to be the future #1, we need to find out who is and who isn't. This friendly won't be the end all deciding factor, but I would like to see Guzan, Johnson and Hamid called in, the three guys that most likely will get a shot to become the #1 once Howard retires.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never liked the neg rep button, but I'd have probably used it on this post.