Pre-match: USA v. Russia, Nov. 14, 2012

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Oct 17, 2012.

1. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring in Jóhannsson, like Williams, to just train with the team.

2. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former MLS standout. Connections anyone?

3. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? This game won't cap-tie him so we'd still be in the same situation we are now

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I believe the MLS schedule has Quarterfinals on the Saturday/Sunday before the match, so instead of only 4 teams affected, it is more like 8 teams. It will be hard for the teams eliminated on Sat and especially Sunday to make the trip to Russia for a Tuesday match. The semifinals are the following weekend.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I want to see the young players. I would consider this a U-23 game with some older MLS players. Do you really think that it matters if Donovan or Dempsey come in and score a goal against Russia? We already know what these guys bring, I want to see the younger players. We don't need to beat Russia, its not an important game, let the younger players play and see who impresses. Its hard to evaluate new players when they aren't being called in. Calling in the first 23 isn't going to help evaluate new players. We have qualified for the Hex, none of our matches matter until the Hex, so I think we should let the younger players play and see who can contribute to the team for the Hex.

Its not my choice though, and I bet JK sides with you and calls in our first 23 and we learn nothing new about guys like Gatt, Mix, Gyau, Gil, Agudelo, Sapong.

6. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it matters- we are going into the Hex next year and this is the last major friendly before the February qualifier. While I agree with bringing in some new faces, there's little use in getting them familiar with the team if "the team" isn't really there. Also, Landon and Clint need to work together inside JK's system. I think it's especially important to get both of them into this camp.

7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Agreed.

There's not much of a "camp" for a mid-week friendly. (But yes, any time together for the players will be beneficial to the team and program ahead of the Hex.)

JK will call in whomever he likes, but I just don't know if it will include anyone on the 4 MLS rosters still active in mid-November.

I do doubt that both Donovan and Dempsey will be at this friendly in Russia (although I'd like to see it, if possible).

Whatever the case, I hope there's very liberal substitution limits agreed to, and JK gives a lot of playing time to whomever he calls in for the friendly visit to Russia.

8. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Gatt, Mix, O'Brien and Lichaj are the Euro based guys I wanna see the most, maybe Brooks and Packwood

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    It would be a nice resume-builder for Chandler, however.

Real Corona repped this.
  10. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see Gatt in camp as well. I don't think he's ready for prime-time yet, but his mix of speed and skill makes him a logical successor to the role that Landon has played for the US for awhile. It would be good to get him into the mix and see how he measures against the current squad.

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Does he need the help from the US for building his resume?

Would the help in resume-building be better given to some player who appears to be (or actually is) committed to the US team at this point?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering JK has already said he has two rosters to fill out for competitions next year, auditioning depth will be important. I expect him to at least consider players who he won't be able to see in January around the core of his Euro-based 1st teamers.

j0osh and West Coast Futbol repped this.
  13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the MLS playoff schedule kind of presents a predicament of sorts for JK so I'm not exactly sure of his plans. He may not either at this point which is understandable given he just came off the Qualifiers and the playoff picture isn't exactly squared away yet. With that said, I would lean more towards a Euro heavy roster since MLS and Mexican based players are an uncertainty to due the seasons ending. Plus, I wouldn't mind giving guys like Howard, Dempsey, Cherundolo, and Jones some rest.

My roster would look something like this:

GKs: Brad Guzan (Villa); Steve Clark* (Honefoss)

DFs: Cameron (Stoke), Edu* (Stoke), Lichaj (Villa), Goodson (Brondby), Parkhurt (Nordsjælland), Johnson (Hoffenheim)

MFs: Gatt (Molde), Williams (Hoffenheim), Kljestan (Anderlecht), Diskerud (Rosenborg), Spector* (Birmingham), Feilhaber (New England), Shea (FC Dallas), Michael Farfan (Philly)

FWs: Boyd (Rapid Wien), Altidore (AZ), Wooten (Sandhausen), Johannsson* (AGF)

*** Clark has been a revelation for Honefoss and is proving to be a quality GK in Norway, I'd love to see Edu trotted out as a CB and Spector as a MF, Johannsson might be a pipe dream)

I'd love to see: (4-3-3)

---------------------------------- Guzan------------------------------------

-----Lichaj------------Edu---------------Cameron-----------Johnson----

------------------Kljestan---------Williams----------Feilhaber---------

-------------------------------------Diskerud------------------------------

--------------------Jozy-------------------------Boyd --------------

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering AJ would have to file a one-time switch which seems to take 2 months to process at FIFA, yes, it's a pipe dream.

15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall we brought in some German Americans who had not yet gotten FIFA "switch" approval. It was used for a get to know team, etc. However, since this is a midweek game, not sure how much pratice will take place, thus voiding this reasoning.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabian came in for training while waiting for his switch to process, but didn't play. Yes, Aron could come in (assuming there isn't some FIFA rule against it), but he couldn't be in the lineup as suggested in the post above.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was under the impression those matches with Iceland's U-21's were friendlies not official matches (I.e. Euro U21 qualifiers) thus not requiring a "switch". If not, oh well, it is a pipe dream and you could just throw Boyd in there instead of Aron! ;)

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, he played 7 matches for Iceland in Euro U21 Qualifying.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/a...sdaten-vereindetail/spieler_119169_22414.html

Otherwise, the chance to bring him in for a friendly would be quite enticing.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    He is out until he commits. No sense in wasting a roster spot on someone not committed.

20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    (Wishful thinking) maybe Jóhannsson has already started the paperwork process with FIFA, and it just hasn't been publicized?

21. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I'd like to think so, but there is no guarantee that JK is thinking in that (reasonable) way.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    This appears the first step toward reasonableness that he took. He stopped calling him up this past summer.

Nothing wrong with still talking with him in case he wants to change, but Chandler now has to take the first step and commit.

23. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Yep, I go with what JK says he will do rather than get frustrated when JK doesn't select my guys. He selected the right squad for Azteca, so I expect this squad to be selected with the same type of constraints.

That is, the top Euro guys with the rest of the squad selected for specific reasons based on reasons known only to JK as he sets HIS tactics.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you are talking about Chandler. Since I didn't mention him, not sure why you are quoting my post.

25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Not sure either.