USA/Russia - Player Ratings

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dlokteff, Nov 16, 2012.

1. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Here they are. 13 sets eventually trickled in.

Howard - 8.5
    Bradley - 7.7
    Diskerud - 6.6
    Boyd - 6.3
    Agudelo - 6.2
    Gatt - 5.6
    Kljestan - 5.5
    Cameron - 5.5
    Chandler - 5.3
    Jones - 5.3
    Altidore - 5.2
    Edu - 5.2
    Johnson - 5.1
    Bocanegra - 5.0
    Gomez - 4.6
    Goodson - 4.1
    Williams - 3.4

These aren't terrible, but these are the worst ratings IMHO since I've been doing this (religiously since JK took over, but I also went back and back-filled the last year of Bradley's tenure).

Howard was good true, but a 7 would be a generous rating for making a few fairly routine saves and getting beaten near-post.

I'm baffled that Cameron got several 4's, and averages 5.5. Did he get beaten? He didn't absolutely stone several Russians?

In general these ratings are also too low. The ten field players with the most minutes average 5.2. That just doesn't work for me when we were actually playing pretty well on the road against a Top 20, full-strength, side. I think maybe these guys are getting swayed by Twellman's BJ on Howard, and Darke's assertion that we were being dominated (no).

And of those 10, other than Bradley, the best player was Gatt? Really? He was fine. 5.6, absolutely (I'd go 6 even). But, I think we are grading on a curve here. Bumping up everyone below Gatt by 1/2 a point would be a more reasonable ranking and absolute rating.

2. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chandler defended really well. he wasnt great going forward but thats to be expected when you dont play with the guys that often.

Sacha was good. I dont know what peoples issue were with him. He did well in his time on the pitch and set up the bradley goal with a decisive pass. His passing was actually quite good and he didnt lose possession a lot.

Way too nice to Agudelo and Boyd who did ok.

Cameron was outstanding. Dont know what their issue was with him.

GOodsen was out of his depth correct ranking there.

Rankings inflate goals. Bradley should be MOTM. Howard made one really good save. the rest were routine saves of poor shots.

3. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those Jones and Altidore ratings are ridiculous. Boyd comes in at 6.3 and they are both -6?

4. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that these ratings bear very little resemblance to reality. If folks would watch the game on mute without the inane ramblings of Taylor Twellman (and, to a lesser extent, Ian Darke), then the ratings would look a lot different, in my opinion. When announcers continually harp on their few pet points while ignoring very important contributions (or goofs) from other players, it's hard for it to not affect most folks' recollection of what happened.

5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Bradley is too high compared to the other field players, pretty much everybody else needs to be bumped up. Howard is too high. Compared to the rest of the starters, Gatt and TC are too high.

The numbers in the first post are how the ratings should have looked after bunkering and praying against Italy and Mexico. Not after Wednesday's match though, as the team actually played well and imposed itself on its opponent for significant periods.

6. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley was easily MOTM. He was incredible. His passing and control was impeccable.

Top top player.

7. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Boyd and Agudelo were both terrific. The number of dangerous flick-ons Boyd had in his few minutes was shocking, including the header that directly assisted the game tying goal.

Agudelo set up the other one and also had a number of excellent attack passes and flick ons. I didn't really appreciate just how good Agudelo was and didn't appreciate at all how good Boyd was until I rewatched the game more carefully.

It's funny - I think those ratings are incredibly awful (and agree with your other points) but I'd say Boyd's and Agudelo's are a couple of thew few ratings even in the ballpark of being right.

I have to agree that the narrative of the game as set up by the awful broadcast must have been lapped up by what pass for soccer journalists around here.

8. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I dont think they were bad. Dont get me wrong. I just feel that to put them above cameron and sacha who played longer were on the pitch than boyd was unfair. I will say agudelo did a lot better than Gomez did.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    7.7 is too high, with all the other field players so low. Bump them up 0.5-1.0, and a 7.7 is more reasonable.

10. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it isnt. He was amazing. He was heads and tails above our other players. his goal was perfect. his passing was incredible. he was the best player on the pitch.

Who cares if the other players were ranked lower? If they were ranked any higher than he would need to be even higher. He was that much better.

afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Can someone explain the Boyd rating? Its funny because I've seen the replay of the Mix goal quite a few times and I'm STILL not convinced he actually was the one who headed the ball into Mix's path. Pretty sure it was just his pressure that caused a poor header from a defender.

In fact, he definitely didn't knock that ball down, as had been reported by quite a few outlets.

Ridiculous ratings overall by the media on Jozy, JJ and Cameron.

Jozy and JJ have been scapegoats so far in my opinion. Cameron is just getting lumped in with Goodson despite being clearly superior AND saving what would have surely been a great chance on goal with a saving run-back.

12. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree. Jermaine played really well. And Cameron was our best defender hands down.

Jozy had his best game in a long time.

13. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you on the Boyd (phantom) header. I think it was the defender who headed the ball into Mix's path. I saw at least one media outlet mention that.

I'm a bit puzzled why Boyd and Mix are getting match ratings at all, since they only played for 6-7 minutes, half of which was added time. I like both, and they were active in their brief time on the field, but usually such very late subs get a n/r.

Jozy was fine until he faded a bit in the second half. A clear improvement from his last couple of weak outings. Jones was fine, and quite effective at left wing. I genrrally agree with the consensus that JJ and Bradley as dual #8s is of limited value. But this may have been one of those limited games.

I thought Cameron was a rock and easily among the top half of US players this match.

14. rossk

rossk Member

May 19, 2002
    richmond va
    People base their ratings on what they expect someone to do. if you expect Gatt, in his first cap against a really good team to completely sh*t the bed and he doesn't then you would give him an above average grade. If you expect Altidore unreasonably to come in and score 2 goals and he doesn't you'll give him a below average grade.
    Howard should have been a 10. He makes amazing saves look routine and we expect that of him. He had several saves where you watch the replay and you're still amazed how he got to the ball. But that is what we expect of him. Howard- only ha to make 2 stand on your head saves- 6.
    With Diskerud. You come in as a sub and score a goal against a team who hasn't allowed any goals in WC qualifying- you're going to get a high rating. Even if you're in for 30 seconds, and you trip, fall, and hit the ball with your face as it crosses the goal line.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because they contributed to goals. I don't believe either had another touch the rest of the game, Boyd might have but I'm pretty sure Mix didn't.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a 5.5 was an okay enough rating for Altidore. He wasn't spectacular but he wasn't bad, which to me is right about a 6 rating.

I do think Jones should have been rated one of the higher players however.

17. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Boyd had a nice combination link up with Jones that set up that header that Agudelo put wide.

Real Corona repped this.
  18. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I don't know when Jones will get the credit he deserves. I didn't see anyone else on that team able to move the ball up field quite like him. I felt like he was the only player able to match up with the Russian physicality and kept the pitch spread out. His biggest mistake was airing a ball in the box. Gatt and Goodson both had better looks than he did.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  19. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Agreed on JJ and Jozy. MB gets all of the glory because someone actually capitalized on one of his great passes. JJ made several passes of equal quality but they weren't capitalized on.

Cameron on the other hand, while no where near as bad as Goodson made several passes directly to the Ruskies our half of the field. If the Russians didn't flub it up one way or another we'd have lost the game. I thought he was rock solid as well until my second viewing.

20. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway

21. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Mixx was rated by 10 of 13. Boyd, 6/13. Boca 3/13. Edu 12/13 (funny because the rater simply ignored that he ever played).

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    75% passing percentage, 17 "tackled and lost" events.

That's barely adequate.

Even if you give him an English "6", then bump him a grade due to the goal, the best he gets is a "7".

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  23. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In most games MB plays, I'd agree that 75% is too low a passing percentage. However, in this game, he spent a lot of his time at the edge of or in the attacking third where the success rate is always lower than further back. So, 75% is not bad in this case. As for the "tackled and lost" events, I have no clue as to what they are, except as an index correlated with how many possessions the player had.

deuteronomy and ImaPuppy repped this.
  24. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    This.

25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+