USA - Canada exhibition (Tuesday, 1/29) pre/in/postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 28, 2013.

1. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JK needs to stop trying to play ticki-tacka against bunkering concacaf teams. We are NOT Barcelona!!! It almost burned us against Antigua until he put Gordon in and it burned us last night. So much wasted useless possession. Bust it down the wings and cross it in. Morrow had a couple crosses and Beltran had one, but for the most part Davis and Zusi were just doing tentative and slow short passes that didn't lead to anything.

The USMNT scoring rate is significantly lower under JK than it was under Bradley. This needs to change. I fear for what is going to happen to us in Honduras.

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Even with the "star" players like Donovan and Dempsey on the field, I don't remember seeing the USMNT playing attractive passing football recently. Do we have the players with enough intelligence, skill and movement to play 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 like some of the more advanced teams? If you don't at this moment, then stick with a more traditional 4-4-2 with 2 forwards (one target, one shadow). That will play to the strength of US players: work rate, physical power, fighting spirit. That's what we saw in the more successful years in the past.

It's understandable that people want to see creative soccer. However, that is a deeper issue that goes all the way to kid's games, highschool and college and even MLS. It is not something that will change immediately. It is the whole system, mentality and physical attributes.

Klinsmann (and all these pundits) needs to decide: do you want results now? Or are you willing to sacrifice the short-term result and change the system and playing style of the whole country for long term?

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I thought that the Kinsi style is more like the German style of very quick counterattacks. That would fit the U.S.'s strengths fairly well, but maybe not as much w/o Donovan. But when you play a bunkering team, the quick counterattack kind of goes out the window, and you need to have another plan.

4. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I actually thought the one-two passing in the center that Wondo was trying to do was going to be the way to go. But then Johnson or somebody else would just back pass it. What makes me most disheartened is that everybody kept passing to another player's feet. Does Klinsmann or do the guys in that camp not understand that you can pass into space? Nearly every time you'd see a pass then the guy receiving would have to check to and make a turn because his back was facing the opposition's goal. It is very difficult to win games if you don't play looking forward.

5. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we lose in Honduras and Costa Rica, JK won't be seeing the Azteca.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this qualifying round just has the feeling of squeeking by with the 4th place finish and somehow managing a 1-0 win in the asian playoffs.

7. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Our first 4 games are going to be brutal... frankly I don't see us getting to World Cup Brazil under Klinsmann's tutelage.:(

Albany58 repped this.
  8. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The playoff would be against the Oceania champion. I expect difficulties in qualifying as well. Eventually, the US will fail to qualify. Is this the cycle?

9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It doesn't help that Klinsie looks so clueless. Like he doesn't know which players to play or how to play them.

10. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Probably because he doesn't. He seems so focused on a few European players he thinks are particular prizes and pretty much no time evaluating MLS players. Granted the US had guys on the field that rarely or never played together before this camp, but it's still disheartening that once a bunch of MLS players get the opportunity, it's all of them at once. I'm not really sure how informative that is since you don't expect all of those players to make the final qualifying roster.

I do expect better performances from what is more like an A team.

11. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Gulati should be fired.

Beerking and bsman repped this.
  12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

This goes without saying. Regardless of how the US does in qualifying, he should be fired on principle...

Beerking repped this.
  13. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just an unrealistic idea. Let's say we use the Quakes to represent the country and we just replace international players with US players. How would it look like? Would it get results? Remember, it will be coached by Yallop and playing his brand of soccer.

----Lenhart/Gordon--Wondo------
    XXXX--Cronin--XXXX--XXXX
    Morrow--Hernandez--XXXX--Beita
    ------------Busch-----------------

Replace Dawkins, Baca, Chavez and Bernardez with?

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why not Shea Salinas on a wing? He was starting before he got hurt.

Clarence Goodson (Quakes own his rights) at center back? He's been on the USMNT roster before.

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It would be an interesting experiment, to take an MLS team and just fill in as needed. Of course, they'd use the Galaxy for their test case.

17. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That match against Costa Rica is at home in Commerce City, CO.

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been wondering the same thing.

19. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    If that horror becomes reality I'll have to fine another team to support temporarily, maybe Japan.:)

20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The team we saw play this week doesn't deserve to go to the WC. It's an unattractive, mealy-mouthed style of play.

Beerking repped this.
  21. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team you saw last week won't be going to the WC. That was an American MLS All-Star team attempting to play an un-American style. 4 or 5 of them might be lucky enough to make the squad.

alexiskool1991 and QuietType repped this.
  22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I get that. And maybe it's just that Klinsie doesn't want to waste any energy on a bunch of spec players that he's not planning to use again. But there was a lot of talent on that squad (no matter what he may think). If he can't do a better job of putting together a TEAM and getting them fired up to play, then we're going nowhere. Because the upcoming gauntlet includes four teams who do have that passion.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Again, I wasn't really paying attention as I was following another game online but even though I saw him make one shot, how did DeRo look?

24. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss Bob Bradley too.

25. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we just suck.

alexiskool1991 and SoccerMan94043 repped this.