US WCQ Schedule on ESPN/ESPN2/@MEXICO on ESPN & Other Matches

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by stingbee30, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    ESPN has obviously shown they have no interest in soccer. Saw some good promos on beIN sport for the upcoming qualifying campaign. It was good to see someone get behind soccer.

2. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    Yes the company that brought the World Cup and the Euros to another level while also carrying MLS when it had no business being on a channel like ESPN2 based on the ratings doesn't have an interest in soccer. They may have made mistakes and will continue to make mistakes but to say they have interest in the sport is ridiculous.

Who would have thought that a company like bein who only show soccer would put a lot more advertising behind it?

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well ESPN is still showing B-ball at game time, but the game is delayed so maybe it will finish before the game starts.

4. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    You must be kidding...During the WC2010 (months before the event), ESPN treated the event with more resources than any other event in their history. ESPN spend millions on the infrastructure to make sure that WC2010 becomes an important event in the US. The ratings spoke volume, and ESPN took the momentum away from Univision. ESPN's presentation was superb and almost flawless. ESPN is going all in for the WC2014. They will be spending millions once again for this event. You are going to see massive marketing blitz as we get closer to WC2014. WC2014 is going to be a massive hit for ESPN.

5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yes, assuming the right (and most helpful) teams qualify.

6. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006

Indeed...the usual suspects will be in the tournament. The Time Zone will be very favorable for some of the matches in the East Coast.

7. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the perfect way to promote soccer in the US, IMO. ESPN can really build up the US-Mexico rivalry since they are attracting fans of both sides to the game and can make this a marquee game that everyone waits for.

8. Lyrical S.

Lyrical S. Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Morelia, Michoacan
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Any where in europe, they show other countries nt games..

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  9. Goodbye Orbit

Goodbye Orbit Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Does this mean that I, born in the States, am a traitor for being a fan of El Tri?

10. Goodbye Orbit

Goodbye Orbit Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Sorry, didnt realize the US was having another draft, what war is it this time?

chrayatl repped this.
  11. USAChrisKY

USAChrisKY Member

May 20, 2010
    Bluegrass State
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont see why Univision and ESPN get togeather and do some dealing on Liga MX matches. I know ESPN Deportes caries some Liga MX matches. But it would be nice to see some Liga MX Matches on ESPN in English. But correct me if I am wrong. Is this impossible ? Does another english channel have the rights to Liga MX matches ? If so, what keeps Univsion and ESPN doing a deal with the teams they carry ? Or did Univision do a deal already with another English Channel ?

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Each team sells their rights individually, so ESPN could buy the rights for any team they want, now I am pretty sure the rights are sold with out separation of language, so Azteca America/Univision/Telemundo own the rights for the games in all languages.

Maybe some smart team in Mexico will figure out that they may be better off selling their language rights separate. Maybe the Groupo Pachuca teams.

13. USAChrisKY

USAChrisKY Member

May 20, 2010
    Bluegrass State
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it has all seem to happen now haha. Espn has the rights from the teams that are on Azteca haha. Kind of funny.

14. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comprehensive Coverage of USA-Costa Rica (March 22) and Mexico-USA in Mexico City (March 26)

ESPN multimedia platforms will provide comprehensive coverage of two upcoming U.S. Men’s National Team matches in the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying series beginning Friday, March 22, with USA vs. Costa Rica at 10 p.m. ET outside Denver, and concluding Tuesday, March 26, in Mexico City, with Mexico vs. USA at 9:30 p.m. Both matches will be aired live on ESPN and WatchESPN.

ESPN’s Mexico-USA telecast, the most-anticipated matchup in the U.S. team’s quadrennial FIFA World Cup qualification process, will feature a one-hour pre-game show originating live from Mexico City. It marks the first time ESPN is airing a one-hour pre-game preceding a World Cup qualifying match.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...am-fifa-world-cup-qualifying-matches-on-espn/

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have FiOS and my TV's description of USA-Costa Rica is wrong. It says it's the USA's first home qualifier for World Cup 2014 which neglects last year.

16. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    E:60 – USA v. Mexico -
    When the USA and Mexico step into Azteca Stadium in Mexico City for their World Cup qualifier on Tuesday, March 26, it will be the latest chapter in one of the most intense rivalries in sport – both on and off the field. The teams are in a struggle to secure the talents of young players that hold dual citizenship. Emmy Award-winning journalist Jeremy Schaap reports on the young men who live and play in two worlds and who have to decide which national team to represent. It’s a battle that could reshape the rivalry for years to come. Versions of the piece will begin airing Sunday, March 24, on SportsCenter and on Tuesday’s Outside The Lines at 3:00 pm ET on ESPN2.

17. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    We are primed for a some great ratings for the US next two WCQ games...The Mexico game will shatter all previous WCQ TV ratings on ESPN. The US vs. Mexico rivalry is growing each year and attracting new fans.

18. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN Deportes multimedia platform news and information coverage of Mexico vs. USA FIFA World Cup Qualifying Match.

ESPN Deportes will provide comprehensive pre- and post-game coverage of the World Cup qualifying match-up between the United States and Mexico in the Estadio Azteca on March 26.
    The news and information coverage will feature José Ramón Fernández, Heriberto Murrieta, former Mexican National Team players Jared Borgetti, Rafa Puente and Luis Zague, among others.

Throughout ESPN Deportes’ platforms, the pre-game block will feature an analysis of each team’s captains, key players and strategies, and the post-game coverage will include a breakdown of match events.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...exico-vs-usa-fifa-world-cup-qualifying-match/

19. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN reporters to cover both sidelines of Mexico-U.S. World Cup qualifier -

Two bilingual ESPN reporters – Monica Gonzalez and John Sutcliffe – will be on the sidelines at Mexico City’s Estadio Azteca on Tuesday, March 26, beginning at 9:30 pm ET on ESPN, when the U.S. Men’s National Team face arch-rival Mexico in a key 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying match.

Gonzalez, ESPN soccer reporter since 2011 after a career as pioneer member and former captain of the Mexican Women’s National Team, will focus on the U.S. Team. She will also cover tonight’s USA vs. Costa Rica match in Denver (10 pm ET, ESPN) - LB: Match was last night.

Sutcliffe, who lives in Mexico City, will cover the Mexican team. On Wednesday, he began daily reporting for ESPN Deportes shows – SportsCenter, Los Capitanos and Futbol Picante – from El Tri’s camp in San Pedro Sula, where Honduras plays visiting Mexico tonight, where they have not won a World Cup qualifying match in almost 20 years.

Both reporters spoke to Front Row about their assignments for the next two World Cup qualifiers for Mexico and USA:

To read the short Q&A - click on this link - http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2013/03/espn-reporters-to-cover-both-sidelines-of-mexico-u-s-world-cup-qualifier/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: espnfrontrow (ESPN Front Row)

20. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

Cut him a little bit of slack. LAX probably stumbled on some press releases this morning and decided to share them with us.

I didn't know about the coverage for tomorrow night with Sutcliffe and Gonzalez working the sidelines. Sutcliffe had a horrible night on Monday Night Football a few years ago when the electricity in I believe San Francisco went out & Sutcliffe gave some of the worst live reports ever recorded on ESPN. I've seen him report in English since then and it was better than the MNF reports from a few years ago but he is on the lower end of sideline reporters that ESPN has employed over the years. Only the guy above might be more cringe-worthy. I haven't seen Gonzalez yet so I'm intrigued what she can bring.

I read the Ley piece over the weekend and was glad to get more of the story from Ley's view.

Keep sharing whatever nuggets you find LAX!

21. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Oh my God, someone please push Alejandro Moreno off a very, very tall cliff.

Dante repped this.
  22. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Considering the first 20-25 minutes of SportsCenter after the game covered the USA game, the France-Spain Game, England-Montenegro, back to the USA game..

anyone who says that ESPN hates soccer needs to drink a fresh cup of decaffinated reality :)

23. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    After WC qualifying and until the 2014 WC they won't be showing much of it on the channels ( ESPN3 doesn't count).