US WCQ Schedule on ESPN/ESPN2/@MEXICO on ESPN & Other Matches

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by stingbee30, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The soccer should automatically be on ESPN3 or WatchESPN anyway.

Note: Today's basketball game at 1 PM on ESPNU was bumped to ESPNews while the 11 AM game on ESPNU went into OT. This seems to be a rare event, FWIW.

2. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    ESPN 3 only helps those that have it.

3. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    So ESPN will make money on US vs Canada?
    I have been told that is the only time they broad sat a game.
    Really?

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Of course.

The same can be said of any (pay or subscription) service/platform (to include ESPN or ESPN2 or Univision Deportes, etc.).

Kryptonite and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    IIRC, the last time this happened with a USMNT friendly, the friendly when to ESPNU or ESPNews until the other game was over.

6. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Except ESPN/ESPN2 are on MOST tiers of cable/satellite service.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this day and age, if someone pays for TV and does NOT get ESPN and/or ESPN2, they're probably paying for the "limited basic" service which just includes local channels, community bulletin board channels, and one or two of the national news channels (such as CNN or Headline News.) Even a college dormitory would get ESPN and ESPN2.

If you want any sort of "decent" soccer on the TV, expect to pay about $50-$60 per month for TV, if not more. A package of that price should at least get FOX Soccer and *maybe* GolTV if you're lucky.

Bottom line? Pay up or find alternative methods.

Even if you don't get ESPN3, you're not trying hard enough. Switch providers or find someone who can hook you up with the "remote access" option.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  8. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Mexico MX matches on ESPN Deportes are sublicensed from Azteca America and are non-exclusive. Most of the live broadcasts are shown simultaneously on both stations, with the exception of the Sunday afternoon matches, which are shown live on ESPN Deportes and shown tow hours later on delay on Azteca America.

9. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    The two WCQ home games in JUNE will be broadcasted on ESPN (not ESPN2). These games will compliment the Confederation Cup Tournament. The mothership ESPN will have a busy JUNE Schedule for Soccer...

US vs. Germany (Friendly)(ESPN)
    US vs Jamaica (WCQ) (ESPN)
    US vs Panama (WCQ) (ESPN)
    2 MLS Games
    & Confederation Cup (ESPN/ESPN2)

The times for these games are TBD.

10. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Switching providers is not an option because of where I live. Rural.

I get tired of people acting like ESPN3 is another channel.

I get ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Soccer, beIN Sport.

11. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN2 will televise the U.S. Men’s National Team’s first international match of the year in advance of the CONCACAF Hexagonal round of the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying series Tuesday, Jan. 29, at 9 p.m. The game against Canada will also be available online on WatchESPN.

The match in Houston will be the team’s only international friendly before it travels to face Honduras on Wednesday, Feb. 6, at Estadio Olimpico in San Pedro Sula.

Play-by-play commentator Glenn Davis, analyst Taylor Twellman and sideline reporter Mónica González will call the match. Alexi Lalas will provide halftime commentary.

12. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN3 IS another channel. You just can't get it. I get it, and I'm watching QPR/City live as I write this. Sucks for you, but ESPN3 is another channel for many of us.

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    ESPN2 bottom line currently reads:

"SOCCER: ESPN agrees to deal to broadcast Mexican national team home game in English through World Cup in 2014. Deal includes World Cup Qualifiers and international friendlies. Mexico vs Denmark - Wednesday, 10 ET on ESPN2"

14. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    It's another channel and one that's far more available than GolTV at this point. I think it's actually much better than the regular ESPN channels because I have a lot more options in time slots. Today for example there was QPR v. Man City or Sunderland v. Swansea both live. For me it's not any different than when Fox Sports World was getting started in that not everyone can get it and it's based on whether your cable/satellite company carries it.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an online outlet. To call it another channel would be like calling FS2Go another channel. If you live in a major city, you can probably get ESPN3 or WatchESPN, since you probably can get FiOS, U-Verse, Time Warner, Comcast, Cox, or another major ISP.

If you live rural, your options are fairly limited. You can probably choose Dish, DirecTV, or one (probably crappy) cable company.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is huge. Televisa (or whoever owned the US rights) gave them up.

Just because "ESPN" grabs rights doesn't necessarily mean ESPN or ESPN2 as we know. It'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out. I would suspect a lot of the games could end up on ESPN Deportes and WatchESPN.

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Would English language rights get used on ESPNDeportes?

18. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    It is possible but it is not in HD on most carriers.

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The Mexico v Jamaica WCQ on 2/6 is confirmed to be on ESPN2 at 9:30 pm ET.

and Mexico's "home" (in Phoenix, AZ) friendly v Denmark on 1/30 is confirmed to be on ESPN2 at 10:00 pm ET.

(so the first two matches of this just announced deal are set for ESPN2, not that that necessarily says much about where other upcoming content is likely/certain to broadcast.)

20. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN didn't get Spanish broadcast rights, just English, so I doubt ESPN Deportes then. In effect, it ensures ESPN that they will broadcast the U.S. vs. Mexico match from Azteca, but it's good for Mexican soccer all the same.

I wonder how the ratings of an English-language broadcast of a Mexican WCQ would compare to an American WCQ for ESPN.

21. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    US @ MEXICO is going to be on ESPN...I had mentioned this in the beginning of this thread...The rest of the matches will more than likely be on ESPN2 (which makes sense). While the other Mexico games will pull a decent rating on ESPN2, it was the US@ Mexico that was the main attraction. The deal became more extensive because the rights holder knew they had the upper hand on ESPN-they knew ESPN was after US @ MEXICO showdown. In the long run, this is good for Soccer fans.

Mexico's home WCQ games will be on ESPN/ESPN2 (Univision has the right to Mexico's WCQ Spanish feed). In addition to that, ESPN will have access to Mexico's home friendlies leading to the 2014 WC.

22. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Not for everyone. Why not show that game on ESPN2 yesterday?

Oh no - another College Football Live.

Can't live without that.

23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You and I both know that the ratings and ad $$ are much better for NCAA sports (and commercials every 10 mins) than they are for an EPL game involving no "big-name" team.

It's a business and it does what it needs to do in order to survive.

If ESPN could sell the broadcast "BPL soccer kicked with adidas" as well as put logos on the screen, it might be a different story, but they can't.

24. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Univision Deportes and ESPN Announce Agreement to Telecast Mexican National Team Matches in the U.S. Through 2014, in Spanish and English Respectively.

Deal Marks First Time Mexican National Team Matches Will be Available Regularly in the U.S. in both Spanish and English; Underscores Increasing Popularity of Mexican Soccer in the U.S.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...-increase-reach-of-mexican-soccer-in-the-u-s/

25. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Yet they made money televising US vs Canada last night?