US vs Costa Rica @ Denver Friday 3/22 10 PM EDT (8 MDT)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Real Corona, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flash1316

flash1316 Member

Nov 27, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What will JK do nobody knows?

Based on what he's decided to do with the defense he's not going to change it. Best thing to do is play 4-3-3.

Chandler--Gonzalez--Cameron--F. Johnson

---------------Bradley--Jones
    -------------------Fielhaber
    E. Johnson-----Gomez----Dempsey

2. flash1316

flash1316 Member

Nov 27, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What will JK do nobody knows?

Based on what he's decided to do with the defense he's not going to change it. Best thing to do is play 4-3-3.

Chandler--Gonzalez--Cameron--F. Johnson

---------------Bradley--Jones
    -------------------Fielhaber
    E. Johnson-----Gomez----Dempsey

3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you think a guy (Fielhaber) not even selected for Hex game 1 or to start in Friendly, will be starter in Hex game 2?

22SteveD repped this.
  4. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    I believe he said he has no idea what will actually happen and then stated what he himself would do. So, no, I don't think he's saying he thinks that will happen.

5. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    WTF, people? Disagree with the point being made if you want, but this is a legitimate point of view. Take out the first line, and it's well articulated. I'm not sure I buy the argument fully, but it's thought-provoking, at least for me it is. We have struggled in recent matches with wide play, and it's quite possible a returning Donovan would not be our wide attacking answer against the elite sides we are likely to face at WC14.

Closer to home, closer to now, what's the answer for Costa Rica and for Mexico? I assume Donovan is not going to be with us. Is Shea back on form? Can Gatt improve his combination play to go with his speed and aggression? Does EJ continue to get run? Or is it more square pegs (Sacha, DW) in round holes out wide? EJ is where I'm at right now.

Possibly FJ moves up with Castillo in the back, but I don't think we'd do that just yet. Back 4 needs more reps with FJ and TC wide.

6. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    No, it's not. Again, whether or not Donovan can beat Marcello in a 1v1 has absolutely no bearing on whether he should start for the USMNT because no one in our player pool can take Marcello 1v1 (except maybe Clint, on a good day). So his (or her) point was, in fact, not legitimate. Plus, I don't think it is at all reasonable to think that Donovan in his prime (assuming arguendo that he is not now in his prime) would have taken Marcello 1v1. Donovan's never been much of a 1v1 player. The whole argument was a complete mess on every level.

Berks and Marko72 repped this.
  7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Klinsi obviously told Dono to run at Marcello because he wanted to see what Dono could do, where he was at.

Donovan has always been a great midfield runner who can run slants and wide curves which is much harder to defend than straight line running because it opens angles and forces the opponent to close those angles with a combination of several defenders instead of one.

My own view is that we should put Fabian behind Dono on the right to overlap and put Cameron at lb to defend behind Shea or EJ. Teams will figure Dono is the playmaker, over defend him and presto here comes FJ, fastest fb we've got to overlap, turn the corner and feed our scorers, Dempsey, Jozy and EJ. I dont think we have played with a Fab/Dono combo, have we?

8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I am also working under the assumption that should the US face Brazil at WC2014, Marcelo very likely would be out for that match serving a red card suspension.

(Not that Brazil's next in line left-back would be a significant downgrade in quality.)

9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    This thread seems to have veered off course. Can we please get back to our MNT beating Costa Rica next month in Kansas City.

10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean DENVER?;)

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Have we gotten that far off course?

12. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Because...?

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Personal observation and opinion: he's a punk and a dirty player (who tends to gather his fair share of cards).

(Or maybe I have some selective memory for whatever reason.)

14. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Oh, I went looking for competitions in which he earned a red card, trying to find a multi-match suspension that would carry over into the 2014 World Cup. I certainly found red cards! Just none that would carry over.

15. flash1316

flash1316 Member

Nov 27, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann has options here of course. He could play Fielhaber, Klejstan, or Diskerud. I would play Fielhaber. The team has to attack though. I'm still pissed about the defense...

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    FEILHABER.

aw072760 and Justin O repped this.
  17. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but the USMNT pool is awash with players who could simply take Marcelo on 1v1. I just can't seem to think of any at the moment.

Berks and deuteronomy repped this.
  18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Robbie Rogers just retired, so cross him off the list.

19. big4soccer17

big4soccer17 Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This should be our starting lineup. No need to explain why. obviously.

Howard
    Chandler. Gonzo. Demerit. Castillo

Jones. (DMs) Bradley.

(RW)Donovan. Beasley (LW)
    (CF) Dempsey

(ST) Altidore

20. USMNTforLife

USMNTforLife Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'd like to see Demerit make a return for this game. Cameron and Gonzalez are the future but we also need to focus on winning games now or else we could find ourselves in trouble in the hex. I hope JK goes with some more experienced players rather than getting too caught up in his long-term plan.

21. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Demerit is not the solution, and you know it.

22. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sucks. EJ and Gomez, how sub-par.
    Gonzo, unproven.
    Feilhaber, not on the radar.

23. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're going to play in Looper country, why not just sic a Looper on 'em?;)

24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me = 4-4-2: Guzan; Parkhurst, DeMerit, Cameron, F. Johnson; Dempsey, Bradley, Jones, Beasley; Gomez, Altidore.

Still, no way Guzan, Parkhurst, DeMerit, or Beasley start, though the 1st two will at least be on the squad.

Jurgen: unrecognizable asymmetrical 4-1-3-2: Howard; Chandler, Gonzalez, Cameron, F. Johnson; Edu; Bradley, Jones, Shea; Dempsey, Altidore.

25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Does anyone know what is or is not "the solution" to the US successfully getting through the Hex?

I certainly think DeMerit could have played some beneficial part with the NT in Jan and/or Feb of 2013, and I'd be interested to see if he is called upon in future months, and if he has any solid/helpful contributions.

USMNTforLife repped this.