US vs Belgium: General Postgame Thread(R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, May 29, 2013.

1. thewanderer9520

May 28, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Yes depth wise they are paper thin. Do you really think they would smash Holland without Hazard?

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    This is a rare moment in time where the Belgians have more talent on their side than the Dutch do. I wouldn't take the Belgians over the Germans or Spaniards, but I'd take them before the Dutch, Portugal, and probably France. At least in terms of individual talent. They're a no-brainer pick over every team in the second group.

That said, today was a really bad day at the office and the quality of our opponent doesn't mitigate against that much. Belgium were playing like it was a friendly and yet we got thoroughly played off the pitch right here at home, which is shameful.

Given that it's a friendly, I could live with it. But there are too many disturbing trends and developments to ignore. Including the way our coaching staff handled this game and seems to be preparing for the 3 qualifiers ahead.

TomEaton repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Right now I'd say Belgium is about #4-$5 in UEFA. Only Germany, Spain, Italy and maybe Netherlands are stronger.

With their full squad, it'd have been 6-1. As is, it should have been 4-1. This USA with Bradley, Johnson and Donovan could have made a much tougher challenge though. I think both teams full-strength would probably end 4-2, on neutral ground (Belgium wins).

4. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, if Belgium fails to make the second round in Brazil (since they're so ELITE!) we're gonna see a lot of mea culpas on BS.

5. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012

They would still have a pretty good chance to beat them without Hazard. They are loaded and have amazing depth compared to us

6. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    We did it without kompany and Hazard yes. But anywho it was just a friendly.

But I do think we have a deep squad if normally fellaini,defour,mertens, lukaku, mignolet, lombaerts, van buyten.. Are not starters.

7. KickersFTW

KickersFTW Member+

Jan 12, 2012
    RVA (Soccer hotbed)
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel bad for the people on GTA4. Have mercy on their souls.

8. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My God. I now realize why my visits to BS are so infrequent. Match day; Team A wins; BS: "They're going deep in the WC man! I googled their roster and (insert name here) and (insert name here) are FOR. REAL." Team B loses; fire the coach! Forget about the WC! I want the head of the Fed on a plate!"

9. lilking24

lilking24 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Netherlands is down by their standards. Belgium has more talent than they do at the moment.

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Gee, THAT'S what you read in that? Fare thee well, sailor...

11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly the type of thing i DON'T think they see coming.

Terrifying.

exref repped this.
  12. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belgium are neither as good or as bad as some of you are claiming. They are incredibly talented, they need to prove their worth in tournaments in order to be considered elite. This group looks good, and seem to be trending upward. Like I said somewhere else, I think Belgium are going to be a rather fashionable pick going into Brazil. All this speculation/debate is premature. They'll prove how legit they are on the field in the next few years. (but, c'mon, this group is scary talented)

Dignan and ShaRule repped this.
  14. flem16

flem16 Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evans is a Gold Cup player at best so he should be the least of your concerns. He's not dead weight...he's irrelevant
    Indeed he is.
    Yup, he has no business being called in. Brings nothing to the table.
    Your comments on Goodson would apply here as well
    I think you're off base here. EJ was our best player tonight taking players one-on-one, putting in crosses and drawing a PK (yes, it was weak call). He hasn't been as successful because JK plays him on the wings. He scores lots of his goals off headers with Seattle and he can't do this from the wings. EJ's willingness to take guys on one-on-one is something Jozy isn't doing with the Nats so EJ may actually be a better fit up top.

Yup, everyone in the world can see this except for one person.

Fine, so we qualify from CONCACAF but then get "North Korea'd" in Brazil. The WC is one year away and unless JK pulls a rabbit out of his hat we're going to get curb-stomped next summer.

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one thing that allows me to sleep at night is knowing that Mexico has consistently been a bigger clusterf#ck than we've been over the years.

TroyandAbed repped this.
  16. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. lilking24

lilking24 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benteke and Lukaku have scored a combined 39 goals in the Premier League this year. Hazard is one of the best players in the world. Courtois put on an incredible performance to beat Madrid in the Copa del Rey final. Not to mention guys like, Witsel, Fellalani, Vermaelen, Kompany, De Bruyne, and Mirallas who are instrumental players on their club teams. You have no idea of what you say.

18. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    even IF i were, it would make me infinitely smarter than the nonsense you've posted so far in this thread. belgium is a legit top 15 team in the world, probably even top-10. they smoked us without trying and without a couple of their top players. they've been doing this europe to some damn good teams as well, they aren't some flash in the pan beating up on crap teams.

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    And some people wonder why I'm not a big fan of our coaching staff.

20. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, hey- the last time the US played Italy (IN Italy, mind you) the US won! There ya go- the US National Team is better than the Italian National Team. It's a fact. 1 result does. not. lie.

21. CDM76

CDM76 Member+

May 9, 2006
    Socal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Com'on dude. It all depends on the draw but I'm calling this Belgium side a quarterfinalist at minimum.

22. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup- Macedonia. Serbia. Scotland.....WALES! It's a veritable murderers' row!!!!

23. CDM76

CDM76 Member+

May 9, 2006
    Socal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Threw up in my mouth, just a little.

24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005