US vs Belgium: General Postgame Thread(R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, May 29, 2013.

1. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, you are smoking some sweet sweet meth. belgium put a half assed effort into this game and should have walked away 5-1 or better. belgium IS 5-1 better than the US if not more, anyone with two eyes and half a brain for soccer can see that. the way the US is playing getting out of any UEFA group would take some serious work, this US team is not good right now in any way, shape, or form. from the coaches on down through every position we are a joke, this only masked by the fact that we play in a weak weak region with one, maybe two, good teams to challenge us.

2. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah - the PA dude at the stadium was stru-ga-ling with the Belgian names. I know there's a media guide to help 'em out, but he preferred to make up his own pronunciations. :ROFLMAO:

ttrevett repped this.
  3. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

You have no idea what you're talking about.

This is one of his best attributes and it could be a major asset for our NT.

4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    My eyes don't lie - this may be unpopular since he's in Champions League, unfortunately, but we needed far more than Jones provides as a "#8" tonight.

Dempsey was insufficient also, btw.

5. lilking24

lilking24 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you realize how much quality talent Belgium has.

6. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good God. So which of these teams is Belgium better than? Germany, Netherlands, Italy, France, Spain. Portugal.

I'd put them in the same group as Croatia, Czech, Sweden, England and Denmark- clearly better than the US but not elite.

entropy repped this.
  7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Agree on Dempsey....but I rather have had started Holden for 60ish, and Sacha for the rest.

He's just not a good fit for a CM that needs to be more than a 'torres' like player. Holden has that, Bradley does, Jones when asked can contribute moving forward (tonight played as a more stay at home mid). Sacha's gotta go. Not a good fit.

8. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012

lol this guy is clueless

9. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Belgium is on the short list of WC14 contenders, IMHO.

CDM76 repped this.
  10. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    A good chunk of his goals were from Roasles' foot to his head....

CDM76 repped this.
  11. Yougottawanna

Yougottawanna Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belgium is way better than a "middling" side in terms of individual quality. Vertonghen, Kompany, Alderweireld, Vermaelen (even if he had a bad year), Dembele, Witsel, Hazard, Fellaini, Benteke, Lukaku, de Bruyne. They have a squad that matches up against anyone's.

Excellency repped this.
  12. lilking24

lilking24 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They beat the Netherlands handily 4-2 last August. So, yes, they are currently better than them.

13. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than France, Portugal, and probably on par with the Netherlands.

14. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Check the club affiliations of their current starting lineup - a lot more big teams than you'd typically see from a team outside the top 20. Lukaku and Benteke combined for 36 goals in the Premier League this past season.

Belgium may not be at the same level as the likes of Germany or Spain, but they're in a very good moment right now.

15. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    I honestly don't think you guys are that bad. Just not a broad squad. Just hope all your players are heatthy.

16. thewanderer9520

May 28, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

They are paper thin like we are, but with Eden Hazard they would absolutely destroy us.

17. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you really only as knowledgeable as the last game you saw?

18. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012

agree, I think maybe we should move Deuce back out left, and play Jozy and Boyd/Gomez/EJ up top

19. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    Well last time we did defeat the Netherlands with 4-2 also :D

20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not a very deep squad, that's one of the things that I took away from this game.

21. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Belgium also didn't have their top goalie either arguably (Cortouis) to go along with Hazzard and Witsel

With our weaknesses and who we got, I kind of want to see us take the Germany game to try a 3 man backline and use some combo of Fabian Johnson DeMarcus Beasley and Edgar Castillo as wingbacks. Will it work? who knows, but I think it has a bit more potential right now that what we've been doing. Something like
    Jozy​

Dempsey​
    Castillo Mikey Zusi Johnson​
    Jones​
    Besler Gonzo Cameron​
    Howard​
    I have no idea how it will do but is it any worse than what we've been doing?​

22. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012

paper thin? depthwise? They had Benteke and Mertens coming off the bench, no Witsel, and had no problem smashing us without Hazard

Mr Martin repped this.
  23. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. 1 result makes them better than a perennial WC contender. We really have some overheated commentary here!

24. CDM76

CDM76 Member+

May 9, 2006
    Socal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm waiting to watch the match a second time (with less emotion plus the wife and I got caught up in a little yoga workout during the match - Thanks Klinsi!!!) but quick response to the postings I've read (every one).

Sacha was not that bad. He acted as a pivot. He's not a creator.

Goodson screwed the proverbial pooch. Twellman's comments about Gonzo (yes, I'm a Galaxy fan haters) were pathetic. I forgot to keep the match on mute.

Deuce did well but WTF is he doing going 90 in a FRIENDLY? Klinis, please-please-please, no more than 20 against Dur Faderland (ditto for JJ).

Jozy is now a GAM (get oudda-hear EJ). Didn't show quite as well as I hoped but I think he's a difference-maker in the upcoming WCQs.

I love Geoff Cameron. I think he is a superior athlete and a potentially hugely important part of the USMNT's success in WC14. Dude sucked.

Davis and Zusi are really, really smart athletes. They don't have the athleticism to match up against a right-on-the-edge of world power Belgium (thank the Lord Jesus Christ...sorry, the thread debating Klinsi's true commitment to achieving godhood sidetracked me...Hazard wasn't available to Belgium to rip our outside defense to a pathetic excuse for shreds).

Train of thought just ran off the tracks.

Let's just leave it at...we ain't ready to compete with Europe's best and I sincerely hope Klinsi uses the Germany friendly as an exhibition match to prepare us for what matters.

25. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot about that one. Better than the Netherlands too then. That just reinforces my point.