US vs Belgium: General Postgame Thread(R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, May 29, 2013.

1. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Belgium: Population: 11 million. I blame the idiotic 'club' system, youth soccer in general, abusive kids 'coaches', out of control parents...the whole lot of 'em....the USA just is NOT producing close to enough quality players.....Look out Sunday.....could get real ugly...

2. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian Darke said it best: None of our opponents in qualifying will have the quality of this Belgian side. Relax people, this was a good learning experience.

Polemarch and neems repped this.
  3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, but LD's still needs to show he's getting there, and, um, commitment and chemistry and stuff like that.

Craig P repped this.
  4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Mexico is saying "How the f@ck did we not put four past them?"

WrmBrnr, Tom Collingsworth and entropy repped this.
  5. Major Major

Major Major Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Colorado
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't see how one decent cross and running down balls makes you "one of the best". He looked fine, but if we are really expecting EJ to start then we are screwed for the foreseeable future. The guy simply isn't very good, and depending on him will not get us anywhere.

pwykes repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He was active, I will give him that.

I just think that he did next to nothing when he had the ball. The PK that we got was from a bad cross/shot from EJ that hit the hand of the defender. The cross that Evans got injured on was a play where EJ could have simply played the ball on the ground to Boyd and its an easy goal, but he put in a bad cross instead. He got dispossessed a few times as well.

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

exref repped this.
  8. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

He was making good runs from the minute he came on the field and was generally more dangerous than almost the rest of our team combined. He did well.

Tom Collingsworth and Berks repped this.
  9. warmblooded

warmblooded BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Evans. Wow.

It's a good thing that Landon is being put in his place. Let's hope that he's learned his lesson.

WrmBrnr, FW__, dwsmith1972 and 5 others repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree. He isn't awful, but if he is the best we have off the bench to give our offense a boost, we are in trouble.

11. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Population doesn't really matter in any case. If it did matter, China and India would be powerhouses

scruggs45 and Berks repped this.
  12. Major Major

Major Major Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Colorado
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He was being EJ. Which is fast. The guy is very good at running onto balls (well, not in the middle of the park) and doing stepovers. Everything else is sort of meh.

13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    He played Dempsey and Jones 90 minutes. He subbed of Jozy and the keeper at halftime, and when it came time to bring on Holden, it was Kljestan who made way.

This result is nothing but a friendly result that means nothing, yada yada yada. But he just rode the two most crucial players who played today 90 full minutes. Is he going to sub one of them off during the Germany match? I can't imagine that he won't start the captain. Or Jones. You think he wants to come off in THAT match?

14. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    We should start a thread for the refereeing, which was LOLable in our favor.

We honestly could have lost this 5-1 if we hadn't been given that ridiculous handball penalty and Besler had been called for his taking down of Benteke.

Now, results don't matter, but that right there is something to keep in mind. The scoreline (sadly) flattered us I thought.

15. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they very quickly come upon the correct answers:
    1. Friendly with several fringe players vs. qualifier
    2. Mexico != Belgium

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

Yeah, you know...we need Kenny Cooper's quality BAD right now.

17. thewanderer9520

May 28, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Eden Hazard didn't even play....we haven't produced anyone near his level. It is what it is and it is depressing.

18. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor Kenny Cooper never catches a break.

But yea I'm with you, screw Cooper.

19. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    DOn't take it the wrong way; I meant that EJ looked great this game. Do I want him as a L wing forward over Donovan, FJ, or say Castillo even? Not necessarily...but in a rotation he's a solid player to throw in there if we need him.

He had some sharp 1 touch in tight area passes combining well. I agree on that cross to boyd though.. Took 1 too many touches there. Had he just crossed after 1 bounce Boyd would have scored there. EIther way though, GAM made things happen anytime he had the ball; he and the Beas' were our probably most dangerous attackers the whole game.....

USEngFan repped this.
  20. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

Oh I just don't like his douchey relatives coming on here telling us how the U.S. is doing everything wrong and blah blah blah like always.

Kenny is a great guy who I've talked to quite a few times.

21. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL Don't hate the player, hate the game. He's got a point....

22. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same old s*** for us in the attack but this back line may be worse
    than we thought.

Belgium...let's just nip this in the bud right now: They are who we thought they were: A middling, UEFA side that can take advantage of mistakes you make. Leading their WCQ group? That's because their group SUCKS and is one that the US would probably get out of. They're a goal better or a tie vs the US, nothing more. And I do not know why there is this tendency in soccer commentary to announce a "golden generation" every couple of years for a UEFA or conmebol side that is decent but not really a contender. Belgium is to the US what the US is to Scotland- better but not 5-1 better and Belgium is prolly 2-1 or 1-0 better than the US.

The US actually possessed very well they just had no ideas going forward. Couple no bite or creativity in the attack and gifting goals to your opponents whose idea of a buildup is chip it over defenders who are playing too high a line and tonight's what you get. We'll have a better idea of where this team is after a match against a true world power in Germany.

23. Detcelfer

Detcelfer Member

Jun 30, 2011
    WA - USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Positive:
    Tenacious B (DaMarcus Beasley) - best player out there IMO.
    EJ - Enough with the EJ hate. He's proven in multiple games he belongs out there, possibly a starter, definitely a back-up.
    Jermain Jones - (the little engine that could)

Par:
    Tim Howard - If only for his screaming nipple twister face in disgust of his teams defense.
    Graham Zusi
    Sacha Kljestan - Think he did better than people claim.
    Jozy Altidore
    Geoff Cameron - Only because he happened to make a goal.
    Stuart Holden - Not as extraordinary as people claim, but decent.
    Brad Guzan
    Dempsey - SHOULD NOT be placed behind Jozy. He's not a creator.

Some good moments, some SMH moments as well.

Negative:
    Everyone else.

24. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012

Belgium is much more talented than Mexico, plus we didnt have Bradley

25. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got home from the game. Pretty terrible display, but I have to say that Belgium was damned impressive. The speed with which they pass and move and their (largely) impeccable first touches were too much for us. We labor to move the ball from ball to front, they did it in 3-5 passes.

We were outclassed - I really hope Jurgen learned some things.