US v Russia in ATL on Feb 12th

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by TerminusFooty, Jan 16, 2014.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    does ts usually start more than 1 of the newbies (not considering dunn a newbie) at a time? most coaches don't. toward the end of an already won game? sure.

best way to audition new players is to slot just one of them in with other regular starters on the team.

2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, let's not go down that road again. It didn't work in 2010, and I don't see it working now.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    For the Boca game

..............Solo (first half)
    Dunn-Rampone-van Hollabeke-KMewis
    ....................Johnston
    Tymrak-Lloyd-Rapinoe
    Wambach-Press

I see no reason to have Johnston on the roster if he isnt going to throw her out there. I think Wambach and Tymrak get Florida starts. I think if Johnston gets a full game she scores. Tymrak/Lloyd/Rapinoe on the same line could be a lot of fun.

4. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He has to play A-rod at some point. Press and A-rod up top with little risk against Russia. His short forwards always start the next game, or is he content to play Wambach every game again?

5. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Does that question need to be asked? Of course Wambach will start every single game. ;)

6. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    IMO, I think Wambach should completely sit out 3 of the potential 7 matches in the WC, and be brought on as a sub in another match. It's very likely that the U.S. will face 2 weak opponents and 1 strong opponent in the group stage. TS can rest Wambach in the 2 matches against the weaker teams to keep her fresh for the knockout stage. Press and Leroux (and of course Morgan) are more than capable of scoring multiple goals on these teams. Wambach should also be sat out for the 1st knockout round since it's highly likely that the US will face another weak opponent at that stage. If Wambach is fresh then she can play in the last 3 matches. If not then she should come on as a sub in the semis. If Sermanni starts Wambach in the first 4 matches, she may run out of steam by the semis and become completely ineffective.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Speaking of Morgan someone tweeted she is still wearing the boot.

8. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Hopefully it's only precautionary until her next doctor's examination. I'm sure that players will be called up for the Algarve Cup camp later this month. If she hasn't fully healed by then I doubt that Sermanni will pick her for these matches. It's really a shame since the next big tournament is WC qualifying, and you'd hope that she'd had more time playing with Leroux and Press before then!

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Sermanni said in an interview for the US/Canada match that Morgan isnt doing anything until she 100% healed and that includes club.

10. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Part of me is extremely disappointed since I'm a huge Morgan fan, but the other part just wants to see what the team can produce without her on the field in a major tournament against strong opponents. For instance, in her 3 Algarve Cup appearances Morgan has scored 11 goals (2 vs. Finland, 1 vs. Iceland, 4 vs. Sweden, 2 vs. Denmark and 2 against Germany). If given the opportunity I'd like to see what Leroux and Press can do against stronger opponents. If the US wins the Algarve Cup without having Morgan, then they are clearly the favorites for the WC.

11. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To me, it doesn't sound like she will be ready by the Algarve. 2 more weeks in the boot and another MRI in 4 weeks. She said she hopes to be ready by preseason for the Thorns and play for the national team "within the next two months".

12. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    This is more likely than my proposed line-up. Wambach/Solo will prob start for star power, and I agree Tymrak will as well. I'm hoping Arod gets the nod over Pinoe bc she's already proven herself IMO.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Personally Id prefer HAO but she has been a regular starter where as Rapinoe has missed a lot of games. I really have no interest in adding A-Rod to the equation at wing. Let her make it as a forward if she can but I dont need a young midfielder missing the roster for Rodriguez.

14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    she may not make the team....

...or with her age, she may just barely make the team as a sub.

15. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    I think this would be awesome:
    4-4-2 Diamond
    Solo
    Dunn-Brunn-Engen-O'Hara
    Lloyd
    Brian-Tymrak-Pinoe
    Press-T-Rex

Speedy LB, RB. Tough DM. Creative Midfielders. Cerebral Forward. T-Rex Havoc Forward.

(At 70, bring in Holiday for CAM, take Pinoe out, shift Tymrak to the left. At 75 bring A-Rod in for T-Rex. At 80 bring Johnston in for Lloyd to get a look.)

16. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The only way Arod makes the team is if she can prove herself to be versitile bc she not beating out the current 4 forwards. The question is, will TS allow her to even do that? Shes on the bubble right now bc Morgan and Heath are injured. I just think she needs a chance in these friendlies while those 2 are injured to know for sure she's not worth a call up when those two are healthy.

17. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I especially like your attacking mids and outside back combo....here's a question, has TS tried Holiday at defensive mid? He doesn't seem to have a problem throwing Lloyd/Brian in there. Just curious. Not sayingHoliday would be better or worse, just wondering if I missed that experiment.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So if A-Rod shows she can be a versatile back-up at both forward and wing u risk her being on the roster instead of Tymrak who only proves cover at one position. For me Id much rather see Tymrak developed because she has a much bigger up side. I believe those last roster spots r best used getting experience for the young players who will feature in the next cycle.

19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    :(A-Rod is 3 1/2 years older than Tymrak.

Tymrak will be almost the same age A-Rod is now by the time of her anticipated 2019 "feature."

Will you then wish to see her dropped in 2018 for someone who you are guessing will be "featured" in 2023? Will Achilles ever get to cross the room?:rolleyes:

When should the desire to actually try to win the current world cup supersede possible future "featuring?"

Me I kinda think Tymrak has plenty of time for development and will likely bypass A-Rod this time out anyway-- but I'd rather she had to kinda prove that beforehand instead of it being, what, "socially promoted?"

cpthomas repped this.
  20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yes... I dont want the end spots on the bench used for older players. When u do that u dont rotate ur roster. Mostly, and there r always exceptions, I wouldnt have players above 25 on the team unless they were in my first 16 field players. GK is a little different. This isnt about Rodriguez tho u could obviously make a case sure certainly had a fair shot to impact this team. It's about preparing for the next cycle instead the situation u had when Krieger got hurt and Sundhage looked up and noticed her back-up was 33.

As to Tymrak specifically, the more time A-Rod plays at wing the less time Tymrak gets on the field.

skybolt and Namdynamo repped this.
  21. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Ha, you just had to use Tymrak as an example bc you know she's my favorite.

I guess I'm less of a black/white type coach/fan. I don't think youth and creativity (Tymrak)always prevails over experience and versitility (Arod). I think it depends on what TS sees for that borderline spot: he has crafty mids in Rapinoe, Heath, Brian and powerful mids in Lloyd, HAO, Holiday. I think it will just come down to what values most experience/versitility or finesse/crafty.

Too bad Tymrak and Arod have very different strengths which makes it a difficult call.

Tymrak: crafty dribbling/vision creative excitement but defense/heading need improvement and always takes play to the inside and never goes end line to cross.

Arod: Speedy and quick, plays solid defense and likes to cross and clean up in the box but needs dribbling ability and vision. Not a threat in the air either but willing to try.

I think Tymrak wins out but I don't think the choice is obvious. Both players meet very different needs for the team. Excited to see them both play for the same club.

22. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Agreed, Tymrak is my favorite player but she has some major holes in her game that need to be developed. At this point I don't think she automatically gets the nod over Arod.

23. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  24. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    #49 skybolt, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    I hate to say this but I have a feeling that injuries will play a factor come the next world. Someone like ARod may get the nod if heaven forbid a player like Heath or even Morgan is injured. At this point I think that the top 25 players have a good chance at getting a spot on the WC team.

25. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Does Arod make it over Hagen or Horan?