US v Russia in ATL on Feb 12th

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by TerminusFooty, Jan 16, 2014.

1. airbornerocks

airbornerocks Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well despite all the Wambach bashing, all I can say is Feb. 13 was one of the greatest nights of my life. Seeing my favorite team and my heroes for the first time was just a complete experience. I didn't know who to focus on, where to look, I was just a sponge soaking in the sights and atmosphere of a professional game. I love every player on the team and to see Rapinoe have a career night was amazing, I can tell you all that it is so much different than watching on TV. Until that night I have never been to a professional game and the sheer talent and knowledge on the ball is amazing. These players aren't just good at technique or skill, they are football smart. It was simply amazing for me, and I got to begin my USA gear collection.

The only thing I didn't like which didn't bother my experience was the USA Soccer's love for the side facing the bench and the supporters section. We payed around $160 for our seats and to hear later on that the US Soccer Inside Club or whatever it's called threw game worn jerseys into the supporters section kinda pissed me off. Considering the supporter section tickets were cheap as hell, it really kind of annoyed me to see that. Also, the players favored one side of the field. The side behind the bench. I was mistaken, and I thought my seats were behind the bench due to the layout at the dome. Players like Rampone, Rapinoe, Wambach, many others all signed for that side and completely ignored the other side. I must say though that Christen Press has ALOT of respect from me now. She was the only player to come to the opposite side and she signed pictures, signed posters, and even took pictures with the fans using their phones. Hope Solo came to our side and was literally 5 foot away from me but she was hugging her family member or something and didn't sign but she thanked us all and said she loved us before she left. HAO also came to our side but only signed for some ODP or some high school club team. I just find it very annoying, I say either atleast ATTEMPT to sign for both sides or don't sign at all. I am not a glory hunter and I could care less if they signed my stuff, I would've just loved to interact with them. But yeah, that was my only problem with the game. But like I said, Press has some amazing respect for me. I would really like to thank her for that, maybe if I sit on the bench side or in the supporters section I can. Another thing that was annoying was when the team did the walk to the supporters section and waved at them, you know with them holding hands. It was like our side didn't even exist. Oh well, still loved the game. Some guy after the game in the stands made a comment calling the team jerks for ignoring us completely.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The best day to get face time with the players is the open practice the day before. I realize that didnt work in ur case because of the weather troubles but it is something to consider the next time u see them.

3. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The few times I've been to the US Soccer games, I've gotten the end zone seats because they are cheaper and during that time I acquired signatures from Alex Morgan, Boxxy, HAO, Rampone, and maybe Kelly O'Hara. I have been unsuccessful at getting Wambach signature, I don't know if it's because her signature is worth more and therefore harder to acquire or what. I've been to like three games I think so far and so far I can't get her autograph.

I acquired Hope Solo's signature when she was GK for St. Louis Athletica and she was visiting team for Los Angeles Sol. I was sitting right behind her goal and the first thing she did when the whistle blew was go to us and sign autographs. She was very polite and kind to everyone unlike what the media perceives her to be.

4. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is intriguing. Do you suspect that it was an imposter?

5. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Care to guess how many posts you've made carping about Wambach over the last few years? Or, how many posts did you make on that absolutely insane comment thread for the Equalizer story on the second Russia game? I bet you're closing in on 50 in that one thread alone. Sure, you're not obsessed.

6. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The girls are really hit or miss on signing after the game. As mentioned, the open practice is the best time. Our first game in Dallas was much like you described. Many of the girls went behind the bench and nobody came to our side. Finally, Hope came over and signed quite a bit to her credit. Unfortunately, my tiny might was shoved out of the way by grown women, so we didn't get anything.

The next time in Houston, I got a superb deal (like half off) for field seats but not on the bench side. I was hopeful we would see more players being that close and it paid off. The girls fanned out on both sides covering much of the stadium to sign. We got Morgan, LePeilbet, HOA, and Mitts.

In San Antonio, they did the same thing and fanned out again but we didn't try for it as we failed to bring anything in the stadium.

I bet the game worn jersey thing was random. Hope has thrown her gloves out on the side opposite of the bench before as one of the games we attended. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they are told to pay attention to the supporters side especially sometimes and I don't blame them for it. It should have perks.

7. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The supporters really bring it to the game. They yell and shout and chant for 90 minutes. I don't mind that the players go straight to their section after the game. People need to understand that atmosphere means a lot during the match. They need you guys to really cheer them on and if you just sit there and do nothing, don't expect all of them to come straight to you and bring you game worn jerseys.

8. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  9. airbornerocks

airbornerocks Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't mind that either. I was just a little shocked none of them came to the section behind the goal. If you read my post, you'd understand. I never expected any of them to bring me a game worn jersey. I just found it annoying only the supporters section got apparel thrown to them, when the entire place was covered with US fans. But like I said, if you had read my entire post, you would know that.