US v. China, April 6, 2014 in Colorado: Pre-, during, and post-game discussion

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Apr 1, 2014.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The usual way Press scores at Tyreso is if Marta spoon feeds the ball to her
    So are you advisng that Sermanni should tied, bound & drag Marta out of Sweden ad make her play for the red, white & bleu?
    Pure madness!!!..............hmm........... but it could work! and those easy going Swedes could have liberal kidnapping laws

2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Mewis can fill the role of Marta for the USWNT.
    Five letters in her name, and starts with an "M".

3. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her ball distribution has been very good of late. Game could have been different with her at left back. Klingenberg did a lot of end line driving when the end line wasn't available.

4. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I've said in the past, I'm probably a little biased when talking about Heath or evaluating her performance [my profile picture says it all]. Please bear with me when it sounds like I'm over-glorifying her. I know she's not perfect, and that she's probably not the x-factor for the team that I often like to think she is.

5. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    such a boring game, until rapinoe came in a spiced things up. we got first goal because chinese keeper screwed up and second because that shot was awesome by rapinoe but also lucky. Without heath these games are getting boring, also this useless possession is boring to watch with no long balls. sermanni is starting to tick me off by not putting in heath. yeah i know i like heath, and proud of the reason, the games are not so boring. kliningberg rocked this game

6. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Didn't see this posted: Attendance was 14,903 (83% of capacity). Decent size, but not as good as last time it was at DSP when they drew 18,589 (102.8% of capacity).

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed 100%. The amount of complaining above is stunning.

I agree that Brian was excellent. Her great skills in the middle of the field are much needed.

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Sermanni fired

9. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Wow, I thought you were joking. But it's true.

10. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW I did not see that coming.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I also had to consort my calendar to make sure it was not April 1. :eek::eek::eek:

This is shocking

12. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    lol. I thought the same thing. ;)

13. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we may need to open a new thread..

14. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There still seems to be a good deal of people on twitter who think its an Aprils Fools.

Something internal must have happened, nothing on the field warrants this.

15. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Gulati was at the game

16. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    You know, anyone can create new threads, not just WPS_Movement... ;)

17. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Wow, just wow. I guess he should have started Abby?

Namdynamo and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  18. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    ahhahaha, hysterical. I was half jokingly thinking the same thing.

19. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    That is technically a Lie since that would indicate more than half of Press goals are made on passes or plays set up by Marta and that just not true. Mainly that it because Tyresö's midfield i not as Marta dominated as you seem to believe it is the trio MARTA-VERO-SEGER that runs it (with some good support). So saying that Press get most from being spoonfeed by her midfield may be technically correct (she still get much done from other sources, but you can hardly argue that the MF Trio is behind most of her goals).

20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've been suggesting this since last fall; Press performance significantly falls without Marta beside her at Tyreso. The last couple of games only confirms that; 8-1 victory with Press scoring 3 goals with Marta in it. But with Marta sitting on the bench; 0-0 a week later against the same Austrian CL team, with Press not getting a single shot on target.

21. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    how can you explain her goals for FCG and a defeating marta on the other side of the pitch? it's called a slump with the line up she plays with on the NT. if i remember, they were saying morgan lost her scoring touch in early 2013 when nothing was getting netted. but we'll stick with the theory that press' pedigree is a fraud.

what's odd is, 2014 would be press' soph year with the team since sermanni gave her an intro in 2013 ? wow, morgan had a great freshman start (end of 2011 thru 2012) and a big time soph slump in 2013 including injuries similar to RGIII. i guess it doesn't work that way for other players.

22. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please. Go look at those highlights in that game. Oh and here's the boxscore:

1-0 Press (Klingenberg)
    2-0 Marta (Rilany)
    3-0 Marta (Diaz)
    4-0 Dahlkvist (Press)
    5-0 Press (Boquete)
    5-1 Tseng Shu-O
    6-1 Edlund (Press)
    7-1 Press (Seger)
    8-1 Marta (Press)

Yeah, really looks like Marta is the one supporting Press.

23. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    like i said, it's that 2nd year slump. and no one can explain why it happens in sports. but it doesn't apply to the uswnt, nothing applies to it. she had a briliant 2013 and can't find the net in 2014 even against tomato cans.

24. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Here's the problem with your summation:

1.) Even when Morgan is in a mini scoring slump she still finds ways to produce by providing assists to her teammates. Like I've mentioned before, Morgan has had at least 1 goal or assist at each of her last 8 matches at the WC and Olympics.

2.) In 2013 Morgan scored all 6 of her goals (3 against Germany, 2 against Canada, 1 against Sweden)vs. strong opponents in tight matches. Do we really care if she scores a hat trick against Russia or Mexico when the team can blow away these teams if she just sits on the side lines and drinks tea? We need players to step up in crucial situations and not pad their stats in a Swedish league saturated with players that probably aren't good enough to play college ball here in the states.

25. GambitSWE

GambitSWE Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Landvetter
    Club:
    Göteborg FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    ...and ALL the players in the NWSL are good? Their are crappy players in all leagues, including the highly praised NWSL.