US v. China, April 10, 2014 in San Diego: Pre-, during, and post-game discussion

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lunatica, Apr 9, 2014.

1. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Let me clarify what I meant. I certainly agree and encourage calling up a few younger players to the national team (even if they're still in college). However, the process should not seem like a revolving door. Heck, Alex Morgan was called in while still in college. Same thing with Leroux and many others, which is a good thing. Under Sermanni's system it seemed that a few new young players were called into every camp, and then never to be heard from again. I personally can't see how this process acts as a development for these players. In the meantime, the rest of the team had to cope with different formations and new players every single match. I bet that if someone asked most of the current squad about Dunn, Engen, Brian or Press most of them would say only positive things. I think the frustration grows when someone like Tymrak is brought in and given starts in one camp and then the next camp it's Samantha Mewis and so on.

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Well not to put words in skybolt's mouth but from what I garnered from that message was that the NT should not be in the business of developing youth talent. That should be left to the various youth teams, colleges and now the NWSL. I agree 100% with this. However, there will always be exceptional talents like Brian and Dunn that would make the transition earlier to the national team and do not need to go through the typical process. For these types of player's, you do not need to sacrifice much in terms of winning in order to integrate them into the national team.

skybolt repped this.
  3. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Maybe I just misunderstood:confused:

4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Actually I'd be quite happy to tell you that there isn't anyone who can challenge for Lloyd or Rapinoe's position; the question is not whether I can tell you, but rather whether that telling will carry any weight with you, innit? :giggle:

And we are actually watching people "challenge" for Wambach and Rampone's position, aren't we?

5. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013