US-T&T, the referee (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Aug 17, 2005.

1. warmblooded

warmblooded BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice wishy-wash. USA, USA.

2. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    In an open play situation, no less... Or was that a pretend foul to stop play for the subs?

I don't remember, it was another in a long series of pretend calls that led to my girlfriend and I playing a sloshing game of "You Make the Mexican's Call".
    Simple as a coin flip, and everyone drinks without attention to the outcome.
    Once Reyna and McBride openly showed exasperation, I knew we were in for a drink-a-thon.

Incidentally, threads like this are not the place for frustrated refs who are perpetually mired in low-level mediocrity to come defend their idols, who are better by comparison alone.

Good night.

3. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    I wish I had seen the first Caution given to Convey but I must have been ordering a pint or something... I didn't realize at first he had allready recieved a yellow card when he got the red and I actually said no way that's a red card a yellow card I understand but then someone pointed out he was carrying a yellow....

Anyway I think even T&T realized how poor some of the officiating was.... just laughable at times... laughable once the final whistle blew..

4. usa_superfan

usa_superfan New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    I'm not really a conspiracy theorist, but in CONCACAF, the US never gets calls. How many players went down injured in the Gold Cup where there weren't even fouls whistled? What about the horrible tackle on Dempsey at the end of the most recent WCQ Panama game, the one the Univision announcers called "criminal" and resulted in only a yellow card. Convey's first yellow was very soft. How about 2 more tackles like that and then giving him a yellow for accumulation? Twellman was on side, it was a pathetic call.

I'm watching the Mexico vs. Costa Rica game and Gerardo Torrado (I think?) laid an elbow to the head of a Costa Rican player 3 yards from the referee while the referee was facing him. Totally intentional. Guess what the ref called?.. zipo. He was nice enough to halt play for the trainers to come out though.

5. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    This is a good point. He was clearly well onside (not just even) up to the point they showed, but they stopped before the ball was struck. He PROBABLY still would have been onside, but it would have been a lot closer call than at the point they showed, probably.

6. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    And you don't know what you're talking about even more.

7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the ref did a decent job. He seemed to miss a couple of corner kicks that he interpreted as goal kicks, but other than that I think he did a commendable job. The AR is supposed to help him with this. He perhaps missed an elbow, but these are very difficult to see in real time.

There were no major fvck ups that I could see. I don't know what all the whining is about.

8. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    I agree that he wasn't necessarily that bad. Overall, the game was managed well and as upset as we may be with a few calls, T&T were upset as well (and did have a player red-carded early, so they could as easily complain of bias against them).

A couple of things did bother me though:

T&T keeper took a goal kick (or else a free kick inside their area), the defender receiving it has a horrible touch and it bounces to a US player, who now has a good opportunity for a breakaway on goal. The ref blows his whistle and calls for the kick to be taken again. Did anyone have any insight on a legitimate reason for doing so?

And, the time Reyna was taken out in the T&T area, the ball going out over the goal line, but it's a goal kick. OK, I can see maybe the defender never touched the ball. But then how could it be anything other than a penalty kick? He completely took Reyna out, FROM BEHIND, so if he didn't even touch the ball, how is that not a penalty-worthy foul? If he did touch the ball, maybe it's not a penalty kick, but then it's certainly a corner... It's gotta be one or the other.

9. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    It's the little things that can lead to the major fvck ups in the game.

10. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no center ref. The ref had no clue. World class?????????????? You have to be out of your f###ing mind.

Are you Mexican?

11. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was anything else beside offsides then the assistant blew it, because he didn't wave his flag for a foul, but an offsides

You say probably, without knowledge

12. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you were there, I don't think you would have had the same opinion. This guy was as minor league as I have seen

13. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    and hey atleast your g/f paid attention after the 30th minute mine started doing a crossword puzzle and told me to tell her if their was a goal or a fight--

14. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Yeah, that one was a bit confusing.
    My overall interpretation of the ref's attitude was "That's too easy! It's my job to make you score in more difficult ways! It's not fair if you have easier chances!"

As an aside: Considering that and a "few specific bad calls", do you still think:

PS ~ 3rd time's definitely a charm. ;)

15. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    The referee blew the play dead because the defender receiving the goal kick touched it before it left the penalty area. Which was actually a pretty smart play since he was about to lose possession.

16. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    I didn't think he was that bad though I'm pretty sure he blew the call on Twellman's goal. It looked to me that he was onside. Both red cards were justified. I knew Convey was going to eventually get a 2nd yellow, but fortunately it came very late. Dumb play by him.

As for a lot of the other stuff, some of it was borderline and maybe he missed a couple of corners, but overall I thought he got enough of them right and he kept pretty good control of the game.

It was interesting to see Reyna complain so much though. I haven't really noticed him doing it in the past. Anyway, I've seen far worse in CONCACAF.

Let's just take the 3 points and move on.

17. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is going to be the ref for USA_MEXICO in September. I hope we don't get that Canadian guy... Why was it, back when USA beat Trinidad back in 1989 on 'the shot' game with Paul Caligeri, I seem to recall the ref was from Italy..
    Why can't we get an outside the confederation for the biggest game? :cool:

18. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Convey was out of the Mexico game after the 1st yellow because he was already carrying a yellow before this game. I was wondering if there is any extra suspension for getting the red.

And I was thinking that Coppell was cheering on Convey's card(s).

19. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I thought he did well. The red card on T&T was a tough call but he had to make it. The 2nd yellow on Convey was an easy call. Twellman was onside on his goal but that was the linesman that blew that. I thought it was a well officiated match.

20. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lost all respect for Celo when he made that comment, and he'll have to do a lot to earn it back. My g*d, how obvious could it have been? JP made a lukewarm comment that didn't directly disagree but sort of mentioned that an obvious scoring opportunity was interfered with.

21. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was at the game....i dont know how many others who have posted were there too, but i gotta say he was AWFUL. that red on t&t was valid as he was the last man back..but convey shouldnt have been out. the first yellow was so soft, i was out of my mind. i knew hed be thrown out too, i just knew he wouldnt be able to finish the game for us. and that ref blew many corner kick calls and IGNORED blatant handballs in front of him, a staggering 3 in a row right in front of him. blew my mind. the howle field boo-ed every call he messed up and it was the general concessus that he was awful.

forza inter

22. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waving the flag for a foul is a USSF mechanic. FIFA doesn't have a standard mechanic for ARs indicating fouls. In most countries, ARs just raise their flag (just like offside) and then give direction after the whistle is blown.

I say probably, because given the information avaliable, it's the most likely scenario. I know people want to believe that incompetence can get that bad, but it's highly doubtful that a person can rise to the level of FIFA AR and be a candidate for the World Cup when they don't know that a player can't be offside on a throw-in.

Also, let's examine an obvious context clue: if Quaranta had been flagged for offside, don't you think his immediate natural reaction would have been to turn to the AR and protest somewhat? Something to the effect of "are you kidding? it was a throw-in!" (sort of like the original post on this subject). Instead he just accepted the call, turned, and went back upfield. That usually tells us something.

23. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what your problem is with me. I've admitted here where I thought Rodriguez got things wrong or could have done better, just as I did with the Hall thread the other day. I think I'm pretty fair in my analysis. Yet I get snide remarks like this and negative reputation because I also defend referees when I think they're right.

Also, have you seen me referee games? I'm just wondering where you get the low-level medicority comment from. I won't speculate on the details of your playing career, but I would be somewhat surprised if it's above the level of soccer I'm refereeing now.

24. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's happened at the MLS level. Brian McBride was whistled offside on a throw at least once - but I can't recall if it was a league or USOC match.

25. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    I was at the game , up close in the middle and was laughing uncontrollably by the middle of the second half. My favorites:

- 3 non called hand balls
    - 1 stolen goal (offsides)
    - Reyna getting tackled in the box (it was either corner or PK, there were only two choices)
    - Halting play to allow a substitution. No foul, ball not out of play. The signal came from the the sideline to the field. That was a new one.
    - The offsides on the the throw in.
    - Gooch, standing still, ending up with a T&T player on his shoulders, getting taken down, and then getting a foul against him . No backing in, no elbows up. Just standing)
    - An elbow to Reyna's face that got called against him.

The ref was horrible. The line judges were horrible. The biggest problem the ref seemed to have (other than an agenda) was positioning. He just couldn't seem to get to where he needed to be.

I don't know if it showed up on TV, but a few times McBride was left standing there, smiling at the ref and asking "Really?" after a number of calls.