US Soccer Supporters Club

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by CMeszt, Apr 5, 2009.

1. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    http://www.ussoccer.com/common/stContent.jsp_182-USSCIndex.html

so looks like US Soccer is using this as a way to better control WC ticketing, which was probably needed given the number of non USA fans wanting to get access to the USSF's allocation, but so far no word on cost that I could see.

any other thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    yea what do the hardcore supporters think of this? And what does SA and AO think of this?

3. helpmenow

helpmenow New Member

Feb 12, 2002
    san diego
    I like the Idea

4. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't a gameday supporters club. This club has nothing that is anti-SA or AO.

5. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed

6. Tonkdaddy14

Tonkdaddy14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=976768

That pretty much sums up what supporters groups think. This is what AO/SA were afraid of:
    Access to exclusive ticket pre-sales for select home U.S. Soccer National Team matches.

Running a national supporters group is expensive, even when you don't pay yourself for the time you put in. The only thing that really ever came close to offseting the costs of running the group was pre-sale home ticket sales to games for members of the group.

Now that this is available through U.S. soccer, one only needs to ask, why would you join a non-affiliated supporters group? The only thing a fan group can offer now is a more personal, intimate fan run experience that is not driven by the federation's corporate interests, is that a big enough benefit? Even if it is, the bigger question is not whether or not there is still a reason to join AO or SA, it is "will AO or SA survive?"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irish56 [​IMG]
    This isn't a gameday supporters club. This club has nothing that is anti-SA or AO.

It may not be a deliberate attempt by U.S. soccer to be "anti-SA or AO", but it is indirectly impacting them in a highly negative way. I realize its just U.S. soccer wanting to sell their own shirts and memberships, but it is likely that national supporters groups are going to take a major hit.

7. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm not sure how you're thinking that presale access is any different than what is done now with the USSoccerfan presale list. USSoccer has had a priority list for games for years, and has always given SA their own allocation without problems, even for high demand matches. Nowhere does it say anything about presale access to the supporters' section. Hell, it's impossible to get tickets to US/Mex in columbus without being on a presale list or a supporter's group.

8. Tonkdaddy14

Tonkdaddy14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without problems? The guys running the groups would probably disagree with you.

The problem here is that it IS different from the USSoccerfan presale list, they are charging a hefty sum to join this group and the tickets are limited in quantity and to the people buying them. Why would they want SA/AO selling their tickets now? Thats just going to cut into their profit.

9. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boycott his sh*t.
    If they are simply making this group to get 50 bucks out of people,
    to get a leg up on getting tickets before everyone else, that's bogus.
    Last time i checked there was already the AO/SA for that.
    Now if i don't pony up 50 a year i get screwed on pre-sale tickets?
    F*ck the USSF.

10. ryebreadraz

ryebreadraz Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing the USSF needs to consider is prioritizing longer standing members of this group. If all group members are considered equal in the WC ticket lottery what's to stop non-US fans paying the $50 once the groups are announced to give themseleves a good chance of getting tickets? If people who have been members longer have priority then it would cut down on some of that. Maybe do something for 2010 where people who got their membership before December 2009 are in group 1 and people who become members after are in group 2 with group 1 getting a better chance of winning the lottery. Then in 2014 you could do something similar where people who were a member 12 months before the WC are given priority. Something like that to stop people from waiting until the groups are announced then becoming members and applying.

11. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are offering a founding fan status for member that sign up this year.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better idea -- US Soccer certainly has the resources to give everyone a member number. People who sign up this year get numbers 2009-1 through however high they go. The first person to sign up next year gets number 2010-1. The second guy to sign up next year gets 2010-2 and so forth.

If you fail to pay membership, you get your number revoked and you go back to the end of the line.

If done correctly, this could be run alongside SA and AO. All you'd do on your ticket order form is check "I want tickets with SA" or "I want tickets with AO" or "I want a general ticket" with the various other price levels available.

13. Solskjaer

Solskjaer New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Eau Claire, WI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only in America would they charge you $50 for the chance to a $50 ticket. (I've been part of presale schemes before, and they don't *guarantee* you a ticket. Just the chance at one.)

I don't know of any other federation that has a fed-sponsored supporters' club. If I'm wrong, could someone clue me in, please? It's one thing for them to sponsor a kids' club, and I'm all for that. Lots of feds and teams have kids' clubs. It grows support from the grass roots. But for adults to sign up for a scheme like this, especially when there are at least two great supporters' groups already out there? It just seems the USSF is trying to take everything under its control. It isn't like there's been trouble at all. And I'm not in this for cheesy gifts.

14. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    http://englandfans.thefa.com

15. Solskjaer

Solskjaer New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Eau Claire, WI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I still don't get why people are freaking out about "priority access" to tickets when:

1. USSF has in no way stated that they intend to discontinue distributing to SA/AO

2. The US averages 1 home game every 4 years that actually sells out.

17. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    thats fine. you asked if any other national federations have a supporters club. i knew of one. englandfans+ is the way to get tickets to ALL matches and they allocate WC tickets based upon the number of caps you earn, not a random lottery.

18. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points especially on the 2nd bullet. I gotta give the USSF credit on trying to make a buck.

19. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait. Weren't SA and AO formed because an organization like this did not exist? Now it does. So why the kvetching?