US Open Cup GK controversy

Discussion in 'Referee' started by CKRef22, Aug 10, 2012.

1. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If this happen in a game in my league, and the home team lost a tournament because of it. They would set fire to the officials car.

2. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    np
    Not directed at you.
    I was reading other boards.

3. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Retired EPL officials might say that they never called a keeper off the line but they started making the call on a regular basis a few years ago. It's hardly a rare occurrence to see that call now.

4. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A call like the one that was called here I doubt it.

5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think much of this may be because things slid down a slippery slope - ti's only cheated off a bit b/c of the potential consequences and the trifling offenses were not called - leading to more stretching and the ultimate law change that permitted lateralnmovement - my recollection was that it began to be called more after that change. (The slippery slope and concept of whefther to make the call is Alamo remniniscdnt of another heated thread...)

6. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    By the way, what was with the wave off signal by our referee on the encroachment?

7. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    I was at the Portland-DC game last year when Hamid was called for this twice in a row, and my opinion then and still was that he was penalized for what people are talking about here - that he came forward, established a new position, and then took his step forward and dive. I get the sense that one step and dive in a single motion will never be called.

GoDawgsGo repped this.
  8. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    How else would he signal it?

9. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the way you worded that. :thumbsup:

10. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I agree with GoDawgsGo, the bold part is going into my pregame now.