News: US Open Cup changes

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nobius, Jan 11, 2012.

1. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Interesting.

Although:

The Third Round is when MLS teams enter the tournament.

This article doesn't say anything about pairing other than saying that the amateur teams will be paired up geographically.

Teams
    AMATEUR
    Premier Development League: 16 teams (pre-determined based on last year's standings)
    United States Adult Soccer Association: 9 teams
    National Premier Soccer League: 6.5 teams
    US Club Soccer: 0.5 team
    PROFESSIONAL
    USL Pro: 10 teams
    NASL: 6 teams
    MLS: 16 teams

And the schedule:
    May 15: (Round 1) 32 Amateur teams
    May 22: (Round 2) 16 winners plus USL Pro and NASL teams
    May 29: (Round 3) 16 winners plus MLS teams
    June 5: (Round 4) 16 winners

June 26: (Quarterfinals) 8 winners
    July 10: (Semifinals) 4 winners
    August 7/8: Final

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It will be interesting to see if the Dynamo submit bids to host at the new stadium or elsewhere. MLS apparently kept these dates open since I don't see any direct league conflicts for the U.S. teams. Several teams do play on Sunday before these Tuesday dates but Open Cup games have often been moved to Wednesday nights.

May 29/30: no conflict with Astros
    June 5/6: Astros home game

June 26/27: Astros home game
    July 10/11: no conflict with Astros
    August 7/8: Astros home game

4. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Finally! This is a step in the right direction (in my mind) toward making this more of a true open cup and allowing the small guy some fighting chances. It will be interesting to see how many can afford the 'fee." Of course, in typical USSF style, they stopped short of completely leveling the playing field by still doing the mystery bid for the final two rounds. So Seattle can still buy their way to a trophy if they choose. If they were concerned about money, why didn't they just raise the fee for the final rounds and follow the same blind draw approach? At least two MLS teams would have equal chance of hosting with no closed door shenanigans.

5. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really see a schedule conflict with the 'stros as a problem? Considering what we usually draw for this tournament?

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't know what the deal is with the Astros. Total attendance for the two events on a Tuesday night would probably not be a problem but if the Astros insist that "their" lots be off limits to Dynamo fans on their game night then the Dynamo might be reluctant to have a game.

I didn't say that it was impossible, I just pointed out the conflict. And there may be other conflicts. I don't know what else might be involved in the Dynamo hosting. As with many things I guess we'll see how it goes.

7. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like the changes, especially having all MLS teams play -- and having them open play against lower division opponents.

I wonder if the Dynamo will be willing to pay a hosting fee now that we have our own stadium. The fee isn't huge, but there's some overhead to just opening the place for business. Hopefully, we go for it anyway.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect the parking lot issue is the big one.

I bet we bid for the games that don't conflict with Astros dates, maybe not this year but going forward. Even if you can break even, not travelling the squad saves dollars and saves the travel burden on the players.

9. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This can't be right...Seattle might actually have to play a road game now (and can't bitch on the off chance that they actually have to play on the road)

10. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Like the road games we played down in Portland?

Or how about that big road game out to DC United in 2009 for the final>

We've never bitched about road games. To the contrary. We, as fans love to travel. We loved the trips down to Portland and the one out to DC for the final.

Speaking of DC United, if you want to talk about NOT PLAYING ANY road games in the last FOUR years look no further than them....

http://thecup.us/2008-lamar-hunt-us-open-cup-bracket/
    http://thecup.us/2009-lamar-hunt-us-open-cup-bracket/
    http://thecup.us/2010-lamar-hunt-u-s-open-cup-bracket/
    http://thecup.us/2011-lamar-hunt-us-open-cup-bracket/

DC United last away game in the US Open Cup was ONE game in 2007. No coincidence. In 2008 the Open Cup became more important to them as it became a way into the CONCACAF Champions League so DC United bid to host all their games at RFK.

But no one bitched up a storm about that or the bidding system then did they? Everything is A-OK if you're winning bids on games that you eventually lose right?

Your criticism of the Sounders is misplaced.

11. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that a Sounders fan complaining about a road game to Portland? That's what a two hour drive? That's like us bitching and complaining about travelling to Dallas (for the record that's 4+ hours)...we kinda even look forward to it here. Hell, we've had home games that were an hour and a half away from our home stadium. Yet we didn't complain. Hell our closest road game next season will be a 24+ hour drive to KC. Travelling to DC for a final? How does that feel? Oh wait...we were travelling en masse to finals while y'all were still looking up at us from the USL!

I have a riddle for you... if a Sounders fan complains and there's nobody to hear them...do they bitch louder?

Seriously, though, did you go to search forum and type in Seattle Sounders to see what other people are saying about y'all? Try typing in Flounders or overrated...you'll get more results about your scum of a team.

12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations on being the greatest fans for the greatest team in the history of recorded sport, both past, present, and future.

Your US Open Cup trophies look tremendous as doorstops at the local Wendy's where Sigi traded them in for unlimited Dave's Hot 'N Juicy burgers for all of 2012.