US MNT vs. The Book of Mormon, 6/12/2012, 8:00 PM UDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by El-ahrairah, Jun 4, 2012.

1. FCBeast

FCBeast Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this were the real line-up you could just go to your local Stake Center and watch it in the cultural hall.

2. RSL Punk 2

RSL Punk 2 Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Or in HD on BYUtv.

3. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or wait a thousand years and read the recap when it's translated.

4. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get it... mesoamerica is the alledged geographical place of the book of mormon. But is the thematic of this thread really necessary?

It is not that I find it offensive(not personally offended), but I find it of bad taste and poor judgement.

Guatemala has a much more storied record for trying to take over Central America(Barrios), the Mayans, bananas and coffee, long civil war, puppet governments for the drug lords, tasty tamales (Mexicans can't compete, honestly), jaguars, star wars, and their adoptive son, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Anyways. I am not ready to judge our readiness for Guatemala. Klinsmann is trying to make such a huge change tactically for the team from the Bradley era and this is the first time we have had our best players all at the same time. I am just not ready to talk about Guatemala until after Antigua.

5. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So? Half of what passes as intelligent conversation on BigSoccer is in bad taste and poor judgement. What else would you expect?

15 to 32 repped this.
  6. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a member of the aforementioned church in relatively good standing, I can't say I found any of this offensive. A little humor goes a long way sometimes.

And, as Arabic-Sounding-Guy above states, if it wasn't slightly off-color, it wouldn't belong here, right? ;) But, hey, we're all entitled to our opinions.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the Mayans and what this thread was talking about were the same thing...

8. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I can think of many things about Guatemala without invoking Mormonism... Wow.

Interesting how this battle between clubs raged and yet there wasn't one spec of evidence left behind to show for it. Not to mention the host of animals that didn't exist on this continent at the time...

Okay--stopping.

15 to 32 repped this.
  9. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    False. The winners were the ones who were sacrificed the most, as it was considered an honor.

Source: A toothless tour guide at the ruins of Copan on the border of Honduras and Guatamala

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool place, Copan. I didn't have a guide there, though, so I missed that story. :)

11. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is right.

But to describe most of Guatemala as Mayan would be a misnomer. The Spanish conquistadores made sure to suppress their relatively peaceful culture.

12. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Guatemala is the only Latin American country that I've been to (went on my mission there), so I don't have much to compare it to. However, I was surprised at how strong the Mayan culture still is there. You don't have to get far from Guatemala City to meet people that only speak a Mayan dialect (no Spanish at all), wear the native hand-woven clothing, and believe in some weird mixture of Christianity and Mayan religion. I thought it was really amazing how well they had preserved it, given the history with the Spanish.

13. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, here comes the philosophical issue. Is a human, namely Kyle Beckerman, still Kyle Beckerman after a month even though most of his cells have been replaced? This is hard to explain. How is something still the same thing even when its parts have become something different.

Let's take it sociologically. Edward Said in After the Last Sky: Palestinian Lives does a wonderful job of portraying an entire nation, being the Palestinian, as one that has departed from what it once was but that hasn't achieved what it intends to become. This perpetual stage of unfulfilled transition is characteristic of this contemporary culture.

The same way with the current Mayans would be to tell of a culture that is trapped in the process of departing from having had their dialects, their textiles, their foods, and their religious ideas to one that adopts Spanish, Western intellectual ideas and religion, that subjects itself to the relationship of colony of the mother nation, Spain.

In my opinion, this problematic nature manifested in both post-occupation Palestine and post-colonial Mesoamerica is anthropologically fascinating and attractive to inquiry.

BalanceUT repped this.
  14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Ummm.... Maybe not. In 2008, the intro to the Book of Mormon changed the original Joseph Smith phrase of "principal ancestors" to "among the ancestors."

After decades of genetic research of indigenous peoples in the South, Central, and North America, there have been no data linking their genetic material to people living in the Middle East around the time and where Lehi and co. were to have come from.

I am not saying anything more than these two simple facts.

15. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O Soccer talk, Where art thou?

BalanceUT repped this.
  16. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh bother, said Pooh.

Blitzz Boy and BalanceUT repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is what happens when RSL doesn't play a match for an extended period of time but it is still considered the "in-season"...

jesus christ

no, really

In soccer related news:
    - If the US doesn't win all of their home games and come away with at least 6 or 7 points on the road in our group, it should be a sign of concern. Mexico is separating themselves quickly from the rest of CONCACAF and if we don't pick up our shit, we'll be playing for second place for quite some time

Blitzz Boy repped this.
  18. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Blitzz Boy and BalanceUT repped this.
  19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't very excited about the play the USMNT had last night. I think this Guat away game will be very tough, in fact I am expecting a loss, a draw at best. What say you?

20. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US will be lucky to get a result out of this one, thats for damn sure. way too much training, too many injuries at left back and a total lack of effort from the team. someone took their juevos and they need to find them quick.

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be worth pointing out that Mexico got the exact same result at home against Guyana, 3-1.

22. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The united states tends to play up to its opponents, and I think we will see a stronger more focused US team.
    2-1 for the red/white/blue.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know he was arguably the best US player this past season, but Clint Dempsey is irritating the ******** out of me in a US kit. His lack of intensity (in terms of playing the ball quickly) his seemingly arrogant nature (I'm better than this region) and his lack of discipline in staying in his area (why the ******** are you deeper than Michael Bradley and Jermaine Jones!?) are killing the squad.

Honestly, I think the US as a whole would look better with Deuce coming off the bench.

Now show me my crucifix.

24. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not feeling optimistic about this. Our national team is not looking particularly tight in the back or cohesive in the front.

25. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side