US-Honduras, the defense (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Feb 6, 2013.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Neither primarily as they denied strong side. Of course we would need to know if Howard called for it or not in terms of deciding secondary 'culpability'.

2. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    double post

3. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    For the first high pressure game in Central America, we started a backline that had never played together and left our captain on the bench. I admit to being optimistic about the bunch out there. But this game showed the importance of familiarity and experience. No way that last goal happens with Boca on the field.

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Either way we've depth at fullback if this dude doesn't pick it up.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Might not have happened with Demerit or Besler either. Here's the thing; is it the lack of familiarity or is it just Omar? Finding out in WCQing is tough. JK better have the hook handy.

Tim Ream looked the business at first

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    That much is true about Nowak. Including the fact that he's one disagreeable SOB.

7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    That last goal was all about misscommunication, often a problem when people haven't played together before.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    According to Wiki Nowak left the US team in May of '09.

9. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Also, Howard doesn't escape blame on that second goal. He's either out there because he's coming hard to get the ball or he plays the shot. And the communication in that situation is largely his responsibility.

nowherenova and Berks repped this.
  10. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I see what you're saying. But...
    Keeper comes out (and maybe calls) for the ball and gets nothing, Howard gets some.
    CB has chance to clear, doesn't and is punished, Cameron gets some.
    Other CB, standing/jogging, then beaten for speed, partially because he's "looking around", Gonzo gets some.
    MF allows opponent to dribble around and pick out a through ball with no pressure, Bradley (and possibly Edu...Mike shepards the Hondo and leaves him for Edu, so perhaps he should have steps up quicker) gets some.

11. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cherundolo and who else? Chandler has the upside so he has to learn sooner or later. Part of the problem with him is his obvious absence lost valuable minutes.

12. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzo cost us on that first goal the ball goes wide on over hit and he is closest in us jersey and instead of pressuring the guy he goes middle and makes the guy on the post to wide who can't get there in time to stop the cross. If gonzo pressured there he could have potentially stopped him from crossing and forced a reset

13. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious question... Do you think Chandler has ever played football before in that kind of weather?
    I wouldnt be surprised if he hasnt and thats why I wont slam him for this.

EDIT:
    Temperature: 90
    Heat Index: 98
    Humidity: 59% (which was expected to be in the 80 percentile)

14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzo cost us on that first goal the ball goes wide on over hit and he is closest in us jersey and instead of pressuring the guy he goes middle and makes the guy on the post to wide who can't get there in time to stop the cross. If gonzo pressured there he could have potentially stopped him from crossing and forced a reset

15. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have much rather had Boca paired with Cameron for this match. Gonzalez will get his chance but I didn't think it needed to be THIS match.

16. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im pretty sure it was Fabian who was closest and more importantly its his job to close down Bernardez there.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Available fullbacks are Johnson, Castillo, Parkhurst, Dolo(when healthy), and Chandler.

18. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What match then? It's easy to say that, but Boca hasn't exactly been stellar either.

19. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but Boca's experience would have certainly helped.

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Absolutely. But Gonzo got outworked at the business end of the movement.

Also having an all-out 'hustle guy' or even a 'creative player' subbing in to central midfield would have very useful imo.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I'd rather him make these kinds mistakes here than in a home match that we absolutely need.

22. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be alone here. But I remain skeptical that Cameron is an international level Centerback. Seems that Stoke City agree......

23. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoke City agree only because they have two established CB's in Shawcross and Huth.

24. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which means he is not better than the two established Internationals that start in front of him. Kind of my point. I'm not saying that Cameron sucks.....just that he might not be our best choice in the middle.

25. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Looks to me like Howard called him off on the 2nd goal. We all know how Timmy gets with his defense during games. He will drop 20 f-bombs for heading the ball clear for a corner.

I dunno. All 3 of them are to blame if you ask me.

As Lalas and Balboa lived by....when in doubt, kick it out.