US-Honduras, the defense (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is supposed to stay on the guy and pressure the cross not run back to the middle without passing the guy off to someone.

22SteveD repped this.
  2. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    No, I totally agree that all 3 of them screwed up on the second goal, but to say you didn't see an error by Gonzo...I mean, cmon now dude.

But also, on the first goal its hard because, you have to know as a defender if you should go out and close that guy down. I have no idea if he got called back to the middle but I have to assume he didn't. Even if he did he has to make the call whether he should pressure the ball or not, and he should have there imo.

3. chris4usa

chris4usa Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does Klinsi see in Chandler other than that he is 1/2 German? He looked completely lost out there. The guy was playing like he was in quick sand and was making us long for the days of Bornstein and his "greatness from the right back position". [Not]
    Klinsi's decision to start a brand new back line in the opening game of WCQ in a hostile environment completely backfired. Where the hell was BocaNegra? He should have been brought on after the atrocious defending which led to the bicycle kick goal. There was no one at all to organzie the defense.
    Man did we miss Cherundolo and BocaNegra on the backline. I would have even taken Spector back there as well.

4. CobraRC13

CobraRC13 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes: You're clearly bent on blaming Gonzo to make your boy Cameron look good, right?

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, although there was other blame to go around on each.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  6. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole defense sucked. Simple...
    but the order of suckitude from good to bad goes something like this...
    1. Johnson
    2. Cameron
    4. Gonzo
    6. Chandler

I've never been on the Chandler bandwagon though he has had better games, but this just confirmed my opinion that Parkhurst is our solid #2 RB.

I've also never been on the Gonzo bandwagon but that's because I haven't seen much of him until now.....Is it too late to call up Goodson??

7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Not even remotely. Geoff was awful on the 2nd goal, but so was Gonzo. How are people not seeing his complete lack of attention as an egregious error?

Its like crazy town in here.

8. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    There is no argument. Gonzo could and should have stopped the second goal. But he ball watched and loped. It was weak sauce and the US paid the price.

He also decided to take a bathroom break on the first goal. Rookie stuff.

9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Look, JK is Sunil's chosen. He cannot fire him. It would and should end his time as president. So the compromise, the pressure needs to be find better assistant coaches.

10. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Boca and Dolo are well past their sale by date. That is why Gonzo was in there, he surpassed Boca long ago, but JK didn't figure it out till it was too late.

Gonzo will eventually get it together. Its a tough break that he had to learn. But, JK should have done better in prepping this position... I have been saying for two years now that JK was making an enormous mistake by not getting more CDs into rotation and playing them in qualifiers and friendlies.

Right now Costa Rica know they have a serious chance of getting three against us at home. Our backline is horrible, but it has amazing potential, and when the dust settles might end up being the best we ever had, but we are going to have to wait and in the meantime, survive.

Starting two rookies on the backline was a bad move... starting 4 Hex rookies was an even worse. But, JK made his bed. Might have been worth it not to ignore Lichaj all those months.

Craig P repped this.
  11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Can we have some sort of teleconference during games with a braintrust of Kinnear, Sigi, Bruce and Bob?

12. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep

13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I don't believe I said Gonzo is totally blameless but if I did, I did not mean to. As you mentioned, in the first goal he was in an awkward situation. He is obviously our best header of the ball so having him in the middle is essential but he was closest to the ball and probably should have continued chasing the defender. I thought he got a shout to return to the middle but neither of us know.

2nd goal he was beat easily but he was probably very surprised that the ball even came in the center. That isn't an excuse though. He should have done better there. All around, the defense was poor. They needed more time together.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  14. CobraRC13

CobraRC13 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But all you're doing is exaggerating OG's mistakes. Like I said, he had a brainfart, but he did his best once he reacted. It's not like he just stood there the whole time like an "idiot".

15. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I really wish some of these guys in the backline were more tested coming into this game, and they'd had more time to mesh. I realize injuries and Chandler refusing call-ups contributed to some of that though.

I'm not even sure the half a year that Cameron's been starting for the US was enough to prepare him for this kind of setting.

It creates a real dilemma now about whether to stick with experience or not for the rest of the Hex.

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Go back and skip ahead to 1:28

If that's his reaction time and it is him doing his "best" once he reacted, then we have a major problem. Omar had a minimum of 7 yards on that guy but he stopped to look over his shoulder and got beat easily. Pathetic for sure by all 3 of them, but that was a major error by Omar.

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes, but I was specifically talking about Vasquez, and I honestly do not know what Jürgen's thing with him is. Going all the way back to FC Hollywood.

18. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can think about now is Gonzo criticizing San Jose for playing too tough and then today like a scared little girl ran away from Bernardez and not cut the cross off. Amateur. He ruined his chance I think. Besler and Boca(Reluctantly) are back in the mix again.

19. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    After watching the highlights, it does seem like Jones gives a shout to Omar to return to the center. Jones starts running towards Omar, he looks at Jones then returns to the center.

CobraRC13 repped this.
  20. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's less than an hour after a US loss in the USN&A forum. What were you expecting, exactly?

21. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    For people to at least acknowledge a major error by someone on a game-losing goal?

I mean, its like Omar had a good game or something when he didn't.

22. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Possibly, but I still think that's Omar's call as he's 10 yards closer to the guy than Jones was. If so, that's on Jones too because he had about 0 chance of closing the guy down from his starting point.

Either way, poor communication and decision making all around on that, starting with Mike's clearance and ending with leaving a guy wide open to chest a corner to a teammate.

23. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Chandler was soooooo bad. Not saying I wish he weren't cap tied, but man.

Gonzo over his head. Made a couple decent plays. Absolutely gifted possession over and over. Jogs and then outrun - looking around !!!- at the 6. Get the ball dammmmmit.

Cameron was o.k. Performance though badly marred by the 2nd goal. He could have cleared there. Take no chances!

Fabian was not terrible. Got forward a few times to decent effect. Didn't kill us defensiively as the others did.

Howard made one pretty good save. No chance on the bike. The 2nd goal....I'm not sure, but he gets at least some, but perhaps a lot of the blame.

deuteronomy and jaxonmills repped this.
  24. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be reasonable. I refer you again to the fact you're in here 40 minutes after the team lost and expecting that.

Anyways, I'm out... I might come back in a few days when things calm down a bit. Good luck.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  25. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is somehow not surprising. The same mistakes still cost us. No pressure on the ball either. Honduras could've easily been beaten