US-Honduras, the defense (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Sigh.....

2. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I mean, is that not what you posted? You posted that anyone who isn't Mexico will look bad in Honduras...but we haven't, so you were wrong, and now you have no defense against it.

Good job.

meyers repped this.
  3. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does this happen? How in you're first start in an important game do you not play with more passion and energy? Gonzo shouldn't see the National team for a long time.

(TxT) repped this.
  4. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Chandler beat like a drum repeatedly. Omar making puzzling decisions at best on both goals. Cameron failing at a key moment.

5. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I always expect overreactions here after any loss. That said, the defense had some serious mental lapses. Chandler looked like he just smoked a pack of cigarettes the whole game. The commentators kept mentioning it and it was true: he never closed down any wingers and was allowing them too much space.
    Gonzalez was good aside from not being aware on the 2nd goal. Cameron had some other blunders than went unpunished and did not look very sharp in this game. A little unsure. Everyone just looked gassed the whole game. The midfield was not closing down their opposition well at all. On the 2nd goal they had too much time to pass.

Weak.

CobraRC13 repped this.
  6. chitrader

chitrader BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2002
    Hell-Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what you're talking about. He had nothing to do with either goal, he was turned a couple times but was by far the most lively and aggressive of our defense. Cameron made mistakes, but the real problem in defense was the giveaways in our own half by Bradley, Jones, and Chandler.

7. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    Geoff was atrocious. Can't win a ball or mark a man all game. Chandler isn't off the hook for getting skinned a few times but Cameron single handedly lost this one.

8. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    You've got to be kidding me, he was stepping up and winning balls ALL GAME LONG. If you want to place part of the blame on him for the goal, fine...but the rest of the match he was doing perfectly fine. Unreal to say he wasn't winning balls when he was one of the ONLY players on the field winning any balls.

9. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Said it in pregame that we would be nuts to start Gonzo over Boca. We better find out Boca got food poisoning or something.

Chandler was a major disappointment. Johnson might have been the best of the 4 and still was very average.

10. CobraRC13

CobraRC13 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shhh. You're making too much sense :D.

To those blaming Gonzalez, he was defensively the best player out there IMO. That little brainfart on the second goal was unfortunate, but the bigger blame there goes to firstly on Cameron for letting the player just get away, and secondly on Howard for that awful save attempt, thus putting Gonzalez in a very compromising position.

11. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

You do know that the plays that led to the first Honduras goal was a result of Bradley and Chandler messing up which led to the corner. Also Honduras started attacking Chandler's side more often because it was easier.

12. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    He allowed the 3-1 Honduran break in the first half!
    He whiffed on the header in the box, but the Honduran sailed it over TH.

Geoff was pure shiiite!

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have NO idea WTF Gonzo was doing on the first. Got beat to the cross by a guy a foot shorter, and then lets him get off an unpressured cross by running away from him "back to his position". Youth rec error. And then we get put so little pressure on the men that a guy can chest it back across.

(TxT) repped this.
  14. GOYA-GOYA

GOYA-GOYA Member

Dec 15, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appeared that all of the German based players really struggled with the weather conditions. They looked like they had no legs.

15. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Lol, that 3-1 Honduran break was caused by Gonzo stepping up and making a poor clearance RIGHT to a Honduran player. Seriously...go back and watch it.

As for the missed header, that was bad, but much less so than Chandler's multiple ******** ups.

No way Cameron was as bad as Chandler, not even close.

16. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    What were those puzzling decisions because I have no idea what you're talking about.

1st goal Omar made a great slide challenge to clean up Chandler's mess. Then from the corner he tried heading it out, but both him and the Honduran player missed so he returned back into the box where he was supposed to be. The cross came in and it fell in between Cameron and someone else and then they scored. Did you expect Omar to leave his man wide open and charge into 2 of his own players?

2nd goal Cameron had an easy clearance or Howard could have came out and got it. Both players hesitated and the Honduran player squared it for the tap in. Yeah I guess Omar could have seen the future and saw those two would both make mistakes which would then leave the net wide open.

I honestly dont get how either are Gonzalez's fault.

17. chitrader

chitrader BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2002
    Hell-Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cross went over both of them, he had to cover the wide player because there was no one else out there. He's supposed to cover that guy and then race back to the middle when he has no support?

18. dethfire

dethfire Member

Jun 24, 2005
    I wonder if the jet lag had an effect too. I know if I fly from chicago to berlin, I'm messed up for a good 3-4 days.

19. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of all the defenders I expected Cameron to be fine today but his lack of playing CB at the club level showed today.

neems repped this.
  20. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Wait...what? Ok, first off, the first goal, that thought process of "going back where you're supposed to be" only works if there is a teammate who can pressure the guy who is about to get to the ball and cross it in, which there WASN'T. Elementary thought process by Gonzo there.

The 2nd goal, you know what he could have done? CLEARED THE ********ING BALL when it was coming across. He walked to it like an idiot and got beat easily.

Clearly made 2 big mistakes.

Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  21. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I've been saying it since the first time I saw his backline in Munich: MartEEN can't coach. End of story. If JK plans on having any chance he needs to overhaul his entire coaching staff. Top to bottom. Cushion the blow by getting them all jobs somewhere else.

Beirut, Craig P and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  22. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong, you don't leave the man with the ball, unless you have help(he didn't), to get back in the middle.

He was ball watching and flat footed on the 2nd, but that was on Geoff more.

23. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As bad as the defense was I'd still go into Costa Rica with Cam and Gonzo. They were bad today but I don't think Bocanegra would have been any better based on his recent form.

24. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    You can use the same logic on the 2nd goal. If Cameron or Howard cleared the ball, then Gonzalez would not have been in that situation. I could have sworn someone told Gonzalez to go back middle on the first goal because he was running forward then suddenly did a u turn.

25. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Well I've been saying this since Klinsmann was hired, but we never seem to talk about this.

Craig P and ImaPuppy repped this.