US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part II

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by giffenbone, Nov 7, 2011.

1. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is "it" the "knack for giving up soft goals"?

2. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    That's actually not what the article does.

It's simply another case of content farming.
    "Good or bad performances are going to matter..."

4. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enlighten me what does the article say?

content farming just happened to be on the sight thought it was relevant to this discussion.
    Enlighten me what does the article say? Did I miss something?

Not sure what content farming is. Not really much of a farmer, grew up in the city. Care to enlighten me on that as well?

5. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So you post a link to help them get hits?....??

Okay then seems a helluva way to express indignation, but I guess whatever floats your boat.

xbhaskarx and soccersubjectively repped this.
  7. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess that was pretty dumb of me. :oops:

8. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a name for the future, Charlie Horton . .

http://www.rantsports.com/soccer/2013/12/28/is-next-usa-soccer-star-a-goalkeeper/

Horton spent years honing his goalkeeping skills in America and he had a trial at elite Premier League club Manchester United when he was a young teenager. Although it didn’t work[​IMG] out, he continued to improve his game, and through hard work and raw talent, he grew taller and stronger, and was again being tipped to move to a big English club.

The 18-year-old stands at 6-foot-4, and is already an impressive goalkeeper for his tender age, especially considering goalkeepers tend to reach their prime in their late 30s. The youngster has already been labelled the next Brad Friedel and he could yet surpass the experienced goalkeeper. It’s incredibly early to suggest that Charlie will be in USA’s squad for the 2018 World Cup, but why couldn’t he be? If he duplicates his recent improvement, then he could well be a squad member for the tournament.

In the summer of 2013, Charlie was linked with Premier League club Tottenham and Championship club Bolton. Neither team opted to sign him, but then a team two divisions below the Premier League came in for his services. League One club Peterborough United signed the American keeper on a three-year contract. His new club seems to be the perfect place for him to continue the development he started at the United States Soccer Development Academy[​IMG], which he graduated from.

Here is his training video at age 15 from Ohio, some great stuff for young gk'ers:

TimB4Last repped this.
  9. dsichiva

dsichiva Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    I wonder if William Paul Yarbrough can be tempted to join USMNT, if offered a place in the WC roster. He is way behind in the pecking order for the Aztec team, at least for Brazil 2014. Corona, Muñoz and Ochoa are the most likely 3 GK to be included in the Mexico team for the WC.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the US team with the clearly inferior trio of Howard, Guzan, Rimando, he just walks right into the WC roster huh?

CTS26, ussoccer97531, Heist and 3 others repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not for 2014.

If he wants to commit to the USMNT, he'd be in play for the 2018 cycle.

12. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I can't believe that there is this much discussion about US GK. It is by far the most talented and defined position on the team.

1. Howard
    2.Guzan

The only question I can think of is whether Klinsmann will take Rimando (the better keeper) or Johnson (the potential future keeper) in the third spot. If I were him, I'd take Johnson because neither will ever sniff the field and it might light a fire under Johnson and help get him to Europe. I'm probably biased though.

13. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would go with Rimando. Chances are he isn't going to play so nice to have a veteran in camp and also reward a guy who has always been available for call ups. Also if worst came to worst and he did need to play would rather have a slightly more mature player being thrown in there.

14. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3rd Rimando,
    4th S. Johnson/Hall

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    3rd GK should take shape at this camp. Hamid and Hall are on the outside looking in. Johnson and Rimando are battling for the 3rd GK spot.

16. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup #1 is Guzans to lose but beyond that it's pretty much wide open.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just waiting for that up and coming hot shot to come back around again...... I really thought back in the day Chris Seitz was gonna be special, but his whole philadelphia tenure was a calamity unfortunately. He has looked much.......much better for his time in Dallas though. He looks a starting keeper again to me.

But back to the main point, wheres that youngster? Earl Edwards seemed to have turned a corner and will likely be one of the top picks in the 2015 draft. San Jose have Kendal MacLintosh theyll likely make their first homegrown too....... I guess US fans are just used to having young guns right out of the gate, its a weird feeling to not.

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one name that is off the radar right now but could be back next cycle; Quentin Westberg's club look like a pretty sure bet for promotion back into Ligue 2 this year. Its gonna take that to become a sincere option again.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe for 2018 if he is playing in Ligue 1, but I don't think he has a shot otherwise.

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No chance

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So far so good with Howard and Guzan.

I have my doubts about the future. At Johnson's age, Howard was moving to United and Guzan to Villa.

I don't see the same quality in any of the younger keepers. IMO, there's a dip.

22. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Johnson has one year left on his contract, then I imagine he'll be gone on a free transfer. We'll see how big of a club picks him up.

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a feeling its gonna be the chicago fire......

24. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He'll be enjoying the high taxes and blonde girls up North... Sweden, Norway or Denmark

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that is why there will always be an allure to play in scandinavia for American players ;)