US/Ghana - Natal - 6/16/14

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Dec 11, 2013.

1. UrNumbrOneCrush

Manchester United and FC Barcelona
    United States
    Apr 18, 2006
    Austin, TX USA!
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive got 1 Cat 2 ticket to this game. PM me if interested

2. ekartash

ekartash Member

Mar 20, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone staying in Pipa?

3. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I noticed a ton of people staying in Pipa on the Tripadvisor forums.

4. dougjojo

dougjojo New Member

May 15, 2010
    Aurora, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're staying in Pousada Villa do Sol in the Rio Grande do Norte portion of Natal. It's south of Ponta Negre

5. Onfo

Onfo New Member

Feb 28, 2014
    For the Natal game? Seems a bit far, no? I am trying to figure out how to get from Recife to Pipa on the morning of June 14 as I make my way to Recife. Anyone else looking to do this? My plan would be to fly into Recife on Saturday morning, head to Pipa for the night and most of Sunday before taking a bus up to Natal.

6. ekartash

ekartash Member

Mar 20, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still deciding between natal and pipa. pipa appeals more to me. chiller vibe, safer, cheaper and more interesting accommodations. seems to be about 60-90 min to the stadium. figure it should be similar to staying in johanesburg for the pretoria match. anyway, might still switch to natal and make it easier for myself on game day.

7. MarkoC

MarkoC Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jun 19, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I are renting a house from June 15-28 in Tibau do Sul which is just about 15 minutes north of Pipa. We are tentatively planning on renting a car and driving up to Natal for the Ghana game and down to Recife for the Germany game as well. If anyone is interested in carpooling to the games perhaps we can go together.

8. silicus

silicus Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Feb 26, 2008
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was just able to nab a CAT3 ticket to this match. See y'all there! (also got a CAT2 ticket to MEX v CAM also in Natal)

wixson7 and ACGreen repped this.
  9. dougjojo

dougjojo New Member

May 15, 2010
    Aurora, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got Cat2's for US-Ghana and Mexico-Croatia. Absolutely thrilled. Actually had them and lost them when my computer died before I could put the payment info. But God was with me and by the time I got back in, the tickets were still available.

wixson7, ACGreen and UrNumbrOneCrush repped this.
  10. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bit the bullet and bought a USA-GHANA ticket this morning. CAT 4 - so 60 BRL.

Back to back redeyes from SP with no need to stay in a hotel. 1000BRL! Plane arrives at 4AM but I guess it will be all about a lengthy Pregame or a pre dawn nap on the beach. I am then taking tghe 1:20 AM flt back to SP after the game.

This will be my first return trip to Natal since my honeymoon in 2002.

Is there going to be a pregame party? Anyone need a translator for the day? Hook me up with the details and I will head on over!

PabloSanDiego repped this.
  11. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling that the pre-game party in Natal before US-Ghana is going to be one of the highlights of my trip. Natal is going to filled to the brim with Yanks, and we'll all be filled with anticipation and optimism prior to the first match. Of course, the pre-game party will be exceeded by the game itself and the post-game party when we take all 3 points!

UrNumbrOneCrush and ACGreen repped this.
  12. sethuel1

sethuel1 Member

Mar 23, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My group is going to try and figure out where to park our VW bus and have a pregame tailgate.

ACGreen repped this.
  13. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Outlaws are based in Natal, I haven't heard yet if they're going to try and have some sort of tailgater or something similar before the game at the stadium. Also, if they do it might only be open to those on their special World Cup packages. I did read somewhere else where a Brazilian wrote that tailgating is not something they do, but hopefully something like that is possible for the WC as I plan to get to the stadium early to make sure I get there and not get stuck in traffic..

14. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is my first stab at your particular issue:
    The area around the stadium will be on lock down. If you park at the shopping center, you will be in a parking deck. If you go to the Carrefour super center, you are far enough away to be out of the police zone, but not too far to walk (2,5k or less than 30 mins.) The parking lot will have security and a fence and it is on the main drag so pretty much the safest place you could walk on game day.
    Also, you get free parking of up to 3 hours or so if you purchase over a basic level of crap in the store (say 40BRL). They sell beer and booze and ice and even prepared meals.
    This would be my first option. If you get there early enough, they won't likely kick you out.

Edit to correct distance.

upload_2014-3-12_13-20-11.png

15. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the street view:
    upload_2014-3-12_13-31-10.png

and Sat View

upload_2014-3-12_13-32-54.png

16. sethuel1

sethuel1 Member

Mar 23, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the question is whether or not they would let us set up a grill and chairs out in the parking lot as well.

17. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be cool, set up in the corner, slip the attendant 20 BRL and he'll probably offer to flip the burgers for you.

Onfo repped this.
  18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grab a cab from the airport to Ponta Negra and I'll buy you a beer.

ACGreen repped this.
  19. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done! I did mention that my flt lands at 3:55 AM, right? Perhaps I'll cool my jets and wait a little before having reception buzz your room...

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully your flight is delayed an hour or four.

ACGreen repped this.
  21. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this talk about security, don't do anything out of the ordinary and AC is going to sleep on the beach at 4 AM! Hmmm...faca que eu digo, nao faca que eu faco...
    Just kidding...I know what it is like flying the corujao and being up the next day. I get the feeling that Natal is going to be crazy.

ACGreen repped this.
  22. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The plan (at present) is to chill out in the cozy confines of the airport until the sun comes up. Hit a padaria or some sort for bfast - and then slowly meet up with fellow yanks as the day progresses. One at first, then two, then four...In my mind it will work out like pretty much all of the Muppet movies from our childhoods. By the final scene we will have an elite crew of ass kicking comandos assembled. Ready. Midly obnoxious. Moderately inebriated. Marching arm and arm to wash out the black star constellation with our torch of liberty...you get the picture.

Who's with me?

honkifulovemls repped this.
  23. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I am in! (Hilarious Muppet reference, btw)

24. sethuel1

sethuel1 Member

Mar 23, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're certainly invited to commandeer the corner of the carrefour parking lot with my group.

As is anyone, by the way. Though I will still be searching out possible closer locations. I'll keep the plans posted here.

ACGreen repped this.
  25. Stu_Lee

Stu_Lee Member

Feb 5, 2014
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland