US/Ghana - Natal - 6/16/14

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Dec 11, 2013.

1. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice move. That should be a great spot with all the AOs there. I'm sure some of the bars around the hotels will become the unofficial AO headquarters during the tournament. It shouldn't be hard to find them.

2. HugoNY

HugoNY Member

Feb 15, 2014
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't expecting to get a ticket for USA v. Ghana now if I go to the game I will only fly to Natal to catch the game, party for a little bit afterwards and then back to the airport to Porto Alegre. Still trying to debate if its worth the $500+ plus flight for one day/game. Hoping flights may be cheaper once in Brazil

3. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're playing the late 7:00 PM game, so it's not over until 9:00 PM. I know if I was in your shoes I would want to give myself the option of partying all night if and when the US wins! Also, I think the after game party will be back down in Ponta Negra where many of us are staying (including the AOs), and maybe near the beach up in northern Natal near the Fan Fest. The stadium is sort of inland and not by the hotels, and for me I want to get out of there ASAP after the game and back to Ponta Negra where my hotel and all the bars are.

So it's probably going to take an hour at least to get out of the stadium to the party spots. Then you need time to get to the airport in time to make your flight. depending on when your flight is, that doesn't leave much time for the after game party, which will be a night to remember if and when we win.

So the way I would look at it is this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to watch the US win a WC game live and celebrate with my fellow countrymen after the game. I would NOT want to have to be looking at my watch and worrying about how do I get all the way back to the airport to make my flight and miss out on some of that fun. Maybe you're looking at a 3AM flight or something so you won't miss the after game party, but if I were you I'd find a cheap room on airbnb for the night just to crash in and use the whole next day to get all the way back to PA. You're already dropping money for the ticket and airfare, what's another $100? You'll probably even meet someone willing to let you crash on their floor or couch. Isn't it worth that to celebrate with all of us after our win?! But that's just my opinion.

4. tal32

tal32 New Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hey guys,

I'll be solo for the beginning of my trip and would like to split accommodation with someone in Natal for a few days to see the US Ghana game. PM me if you have extra room or want to share a place. I have 2 extra cat 1 tickets to the match as well if you need them!

Thanks

5. shermanator12290

Nov 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the AOs you guys are speaking of? I must know this. lol

6. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The American Outlaws, our biggest supporters organization. http://www.theamericanoutlaws.com/

7. shermanator12290

Nov 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, nice! Natal is going to be wild. I hope I run into all of you.

8. Onfo

Onfo New Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Hey! Checking in to see how folks are getting to Natal. I am looking at AA's MIA-REC flight and then taking a bus, or preferably, sharing a shuttle with some folks. Anyone have any leads on this? Cheers!

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flying into Natal from Sao Paolo.

10. UrNumbrOneCrush

Manchester United and FC Barcelona
    United States
    Apr 18, 2006
    Austin, TX USA!
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theres a cheap Belo Horizonte-Recife flight for the 15th (I think its like 332 Rais!) on Azul. Use decolar.com (if you use the English version it will be more expensive) and check, then go to the Airlines' proper website to book. (decolar charges a booking fee and I think its like $40USD/ticket!)

11. Onfo

Onfo New Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Great tip! Many thanks. FYI, I saw some low level AA/US/UA availability today on the CLT-GRU flight around June 12. Would be an excellent option for those looking to get to Sao Paolo.

12. socal23

socal23 Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I'm considering doing the same thing! I'm stationed in PA for France/Honduras and Australia/Holland, but I really want to see our USMNT play!

13. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    If one were to get a hair up their a$$ at this very moment, and decide that they wanted to go see 1-3 of the US games, is it too late? Especially if said dumb-a$$ hasn't even applied for a ticket, bought a plane ticket or lodging?

14. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Definitely not too late.

Airfare to brazil, 1300-2000....
    Airfare in brazil, 1500..ish
    Game tix....available for face value on alot of these boards. 300-500.

Buying everyone on here a beer.. 500$

Worth every penny....do it.

UrNumbrOneCrush, canchon and Onfo repped this.
  15. HugoNY

HugoNY Member

Feb 15, 2014
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in PA for those games as well. All the flights I found are at the $500 range and leave PA around 0600 arriving in Natal around 1100ish and then leaving Natal at 0255. Like I said I'm hoping they schedule ore flights and it's cheaper once in Brazil

16. socal23

socal23 Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Just looked up flights on GOL Airlines, and it's about $500 roundtrip from PA to Natal. I'd love to see a USMNT game but doesn't look likely :(

What part of PA are you staying?

17. HugoNY

HugoNY Member

Feb 15, 2014
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm staying at the coral tower express hotel. $500 is pretty steep for a 24hr trip. Where in PA are you staying?

18. socal23

socal23 Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Yeah I agree, and that's not including match tickets or lodgings.

We're staying at an AirBnb apartment in the historic center. It's not too far away from the water, about equidistant from the water and Farroupilha park.

19. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    you'll have a chance march 12th to purchase a ticket for USA-Ghana or USA-Germany directly from FIFA during the first come first serve phase that happens on that date. USA-Portugal tix won't be available at that time as they're holding some tickets back until the stadium in Manaus is finished.

SpencerNY repped this.
  20. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Thank you. I'm hoping this phase I can score some tickets for vs. Ghana and vs. Germany. It does seem that a lot of people have extra's laying around so I guess that could be my last resort.

So far I'm looking at $1700-2000 round-trip to Natal. I looked into Manaus, but it's looking like that would add on a sizable chunk of change to the trip (it almost would make a AO package seem worth it).

I'm looking into braving the hostels, being as I'm not traveling with the wife and don't care much about comfort for this trip.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm 100% sure you can get tickets to Ghana in Natal. There are so many extra tickets to that and will be even more extra tickets when the Ghana federation starts handing them out in front of the stadium.

Germany is another story. That's the most popular US game. Three of my friends and myself were all shut out for this game.

Manaus would add about $700 in airfare.

SpencerNY repped this.
  22. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    That's a bummer. It almost makes me think that if I try for Ghana and Portugal (then head home) the cost might not be that much more than Ghana + Germany, because of all the extra lodging I'd be paying for waiting for the Germany game.

23. HugoNY

HugoNY Member

Feb 15, 2014
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is off topic but has anyone had any problems trying to buy USMNT soccer jerseys online? Every where I've looked I haven't been able to find any.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because they are in the process of releasing a new jersey.

25. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the US WC kit gets officially introduced tomorrow (MON 3 March), and I am pretty sure it goes on sale tomorrow too. There have been a lot of photos leaked of the white home shirt that seem reliable. But the ones leaked for the away jersey don't seem as reliable to me.

I guess we'll know tomorrow and I'm sure there will be a massive flood of orders. They are also supposed to wear the new kit v Ukraine on Wednesday.