Uruguay close to qualifying

Discussion in 'Uruguay' started by PremierUSA, Sep 13, 2013.

1. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Uruguay is currently tied for 4th in CONMEBOL; but 5th because they are minus 4 against Ecuador in goal difference.

So, big game in Ecuador coming up. Obviously, a win is big for Uruguay. But, if they tie then Uruguay's last game is at home against Argentina while Ecuador's last game is on the road against Chile. Those are both tough games; so I think a win for Uruguay against Ecuador is pivotal. If they win, then they need only tie vs. Argentina.

Of course, if it all doesn't go right, then Uruguay should still be able to win a playoff vs. Jordan for the WC spot. That would be interesting!

2. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lugano is one of my favorite players. You still think he deserves to be Captain? He hardly gets any playing time at West Brom. His time is slowly coming to an end but it doesn't seem that way for the national team. Any thoughts? I really hope they qualify and he has one last good run in next years WC.

3. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Lugano has still been scoring pivotal goals for Uruguay, so my guess would be he has a great shot at remaining captain. Whether he plays or not may be a different story. If his club time is gone then he could start the game on the bench. If they've done that to Forlan, they will for Lugano.

I compare Uruguay to a defensive, three point shooting team in basketball. When they're on their game, they'll beat anyone. When they're not in form, they look far from great. That's what makes them fun to watch though.

4. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh yeah that's why I became a fan of theirs in the 2010 WC. They were playing like they had nothing to loose. Plus Lugano was a beast in D. They were awesome in the 2011 Copa America too. His career has def. seen better days. But he is still an Idol in Uruguay. Also just saw Lugano is getting the start for tonights match. Hopefully they'll win with ease.

5. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Uruguay rarely do anything with ease. We'll have to sweat blood to win tonight.

6. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah that's for sure. Vamos Uruguay!!!! My adopted country since the 2010 WC lol!!!!

7. Harry FBO

Harry FBO New Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Hi guys, congratulations on qualifying and looking forward to playing you in the World Cup!

As part of the build up, I'm looking for contributors to help with a Uruguay preview for my (English) football website.

Can anyone recommend any English-speaking fan sites that might be up for getting involved?