Upper Deck: World Cup 1994 Trading Cards

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Courey, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Courey

Courey Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Coffeyville, Kansas
    Last week I was in Tulsa, Oklahoma at a used record/cd/comic/trading card store. I went there looking for records and cd's. There were some pretty strange characters in the shop as you might imagine and I really was trying to stay away from the "geeky" side of the shop. However, I happened to stroll by a bargin bin near the collector's cards section and low and behlod was an un-opened box of USA World Cup 1994 Soccer Trading Cards. I'm not a card collector at all, aside from the old baseball cards that I somehow have managed to keep from the late 70s and early 80s. I think I paid $20 smacks for the box of cards. I halfway thought about leaving them unopened and preserving them, then thought twice and went ahead and opened each package. BOY did the memories start flowing.

I was most interested in cards of retired players who were in their prime back in the mid 90s. I did end up with a couple classics such as an el Pibe card, a Hagi card, and some others. I found it interesting that out of this entire box I didn't have ONE BRAZILIAN player.

Some of my other favs included the USMNT player cards. Some were produced of players who were national teamers at the time, but didn't appear on the US roster for the WC in 1994 (ie Peter Vermes, and Chris Henderson). One other US player card that caught my interest was a Lalas card. The back had him in an action shot with a little write up about him. However the front had him with red curls flowing, holding a guitar. CLASSIC!! One other cool card was one that was packaged in the set that was entitled "future stars" or "Young Stars" or something like that with a VERY YOUNG looking Ryan Giggs.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any of these things left over from the older days. The box broght back memories of some of my favorite players.

2. donovan_rules10

donovan_rules10 New Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Charleston, Illinois
    I realize I'm a little young for WC94 but i was going through some old baseball, basketball, ect. cards in my room the other day and i came upon the same kind of cards. I was amazed. Young Roy Keane!!! Valdarama before the MLS it was awesssssome to find all of this cool stuff that was before i was really into soccer. Unvelievable!!!

3. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I have quite a nice little collection of them. If you're looking for some Brazilians, I've got a few duplicates and I'm sure we could work out a trade...
    The young Giggs card is great, holding the ball on his thigh with his chin...

4. Jeff Wyatt

Jeff Wyatt New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    I had a very valuable Michael Jordan card from that set. Unfortunately it was stolen, but yeah, there were some great cards in there, worthless, but still great.

5. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I actually have an uncut sheet of the promotional cards for this collection. It's amazing, and, needless to say, it's in protected material.

6. InterIRC4

InterIRC4 New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Miami , FL
    I have alot of Upper Deck soccer cards from the 1994 , 1998 world cups
    I also have some from 1993 that upperdeck made. Alot of them arent really in excellent condition, but its nothing major.
    some of my fave cards are like the 1994 Marco Van Basten, all the colombian ones, a 1993 Frank Rijkard,1993 Tab Ramos,a holagram set of cards with guys like R. Baggio,and a Ryan Giggs future stars card when he was 20.I mean theres alot I like i cant list them all.

7. InterIRC4

InterIRC4 New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Miami , FL
    I have that card, I also have the one with Joe Montana
    I think I have almost the Complete set of the 94 cards

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I have the 94 World Cup set, but for my money the 1994 Looney Tunes World Cup set is better.

[​IMG]

9. xdanx

xdanx Member

Aug 12, 2004
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I totally forgot about these cards. I remember getting the whole set, and I don't quite remember how but I ended up with 2 sets of the special hologram Germany team, back when klinsman was on the team. I last came across them when I moved, so I know I still have them.

10. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    hologram german team only came when you mailed upperdeck the plastic card packs....i had a mickey mantle special card from the honorary world cup celebrities and traded it in for some basketball cards (i'm gonna steal from that store for rippin me off)

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the full Upper Deck World Cup '94 All Star Set was also sold in one package, and it did include the hologram German team.

I remember buying the entire set (all inside an unopened plastic package) at a WC94 game at Stanford and later opening the plastic package at home. I then couldn't seem to find the set again until years later when I found the cards (all safe inside the plastic package it came in) along with this in September 2003. :eek:

Oh man, do those cards bring back memories (further reminding me that I'm old :( ). And no, I'm not willing to part with any of the cards. ;)

-G

12. carpediem175

carpediem175 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Pompton Plains , NJ
    Along with the complete set of Upper Deck 94 WC cards, I managed to find a complete set of autographed cards of the US mens national team. Direct from Upper Deck with coa's and in a commemerative box. The set is sweet. about 25 cards. Ramos, Cobi, Lalas, Wynalda, Stewart, Max Moore, Dooley, Friedel, Balboa All of them. It is one of my favorite items in my collection.

13. SE2002

SE2002 New Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Fontana, CA
    I managed to get the complete set of the 94' WC and whent the Gold Cup came around in the US.....i managed to be the ball boy at the time and got all the 94' WC cards of the US team and most of the Mexican team signed and got some pics taken too. You name it..i have it...from Lalas, Ramos, Cobi, Hugo Sanchez, Campos, Luis Garcia...all of them...and had them sign more than one of the same card. I LOVE THEM ALL!! 1994 USA RULES.

14. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember getting the the WC 1994 card in my stocking that christmas. Being 7 at the time I had no concept of things becoming more valuable as time goes by, especially if things are kept in good condition. I looked through my old card collection not that long ago and found almost all of them in ok condition (I didn't find my Cobi Jones card, the one with him infront of the sunset). I also have around 30 SI for Kids MLS cards that were published between 95-99.

15. cheapsoccerstuff

cheapsoccerstuff New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    i have 13 boxes of these cards in safe storage all sealed :D

anyone know more about them?

16. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    I have a Bolivia team card autographed by Marco Etcheverry from that set and a bunch of 1993 and 1994 cards in an album. The 1993 set was great because it included most of the Canadian squad. :)

Wonderful cards. Great memories.