Upcoming Hazard Deal Carefully - The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DutchCane, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The idea that there is an anti-American bias that prevents US players from playing for CL teams is a quite amusing one. I'm surprised it's so prevalent amongst BS posters. So you really think that clubs would opt against signing a player who could help them because he has an American passport? :D

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Except Jol has almost exclusively used him in midfield this season. :p

But you are right of course, even when he played as the support striker, he never quite scored enough goals. In that role, he's more of a facilitator.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Seeing as Vertonghen can also provide cover for Song's position, adding him to your squad means you have four players for three positions. Unless you win the lottery with a total lack of injuries, I would wager that he would still be playing the majority of games (when healthy). Don't forget that Song might also miss part of the season for the ACN.

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    And as Jitty mentioned, it's likely Podolski is being bought primarily for his defense. He's one of the better defenders in the world at his position.

5. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Keep in mind a number of his starts were at the start of the season at left back while the whole Ashley Cole Saga was going on. He was sold the next season.

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    thats about 5, what about the other 24?

iirc, Eboue got injured at one point, then benched for a few more.

yeah this is true, altho many posters do it with their countrymen

7. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Carling Cup, early rounds of the FA Cup? I remember by spring time Kolo was playing RB.

8. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that too, he was awful out right.

9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    that was the 2007/8 season

Kolo only had one match at right back in 2006/7

10. Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    10 years ago, maybe, just because of American attitudes towards the sport. However, as the Abromavic-followers have proven, it's become more about the money than any sort of integrity, and America is the last great market to be tapped. I would think if there was an American of adequate quality, numerous teams would want to be on that.

11. Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    2002/03: Starts-38, Goals-7
    2003/04: Starts-37, Goals-5
    2004/05: Starts-38, Goals-8

Those stats are from Dennis Bergkamp; support striker. I'd say he did pretty well in that role, despite the lack of goals and being over 30.

12. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

13. Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    See but the Prem is already big there, compared to America. Park Ji-Sung put the league through the roof in Korea, and Wenger brought attention to the Prem from Japan. Sun Jihai was a big deal for China when he played for City.
    Mostly because soccer is big over there, it was easier to do so.

14. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And unless all of those fans are flying in for games, the big money from overseas supporters will come from television contracts. And while I have no clue, I'm guessing that the US television contracts for the PL and CL will become more and more lucrative over the next few years.

15. Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah exactly; a CL club with an American will shoot to the top of merchandise and viewership in the States. If an American was good enough, he'd surely have some solicitation.

16. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I see quite a few Donovan-Everton shirts despite his stints being quite brief. So I agree with this sentiment, and that's one of the reasons a CL team is going to snap up Dempsey this summer. And he will do quite well with whatever team it is.

17. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    The greatest thing about Dempsey is he can fill multiple roles. He'd fill our LW role perfectly, in my mind. Yes, Ox should continue to get more time, and Gervinho still has promise, but Dempsey is undoubtedly a better player than both, and provides and aerial threat we don't have in the run of play.

Let's not pretend like one season makes RvP and Walcott reliable, injury wise. Having a player like Dempsey that can play across the front three, and even fill in as that central attacking role, really makes him a great option at 10 million.

He's never had major health issues, he constantly shows in big games, he provides a lot of depth in our weakest position depth wise, he'll start immediately out left, and gives us what I think really would complete our offensive threat: danger in the air. He's not just a solid header of the ball, he's a knack for getting in the right position.

One final note, I don't think there is an American bias with Dempsey, I think Fulham have been quick to turn down any bids for him over the last two years. I don't think many of his detractors really watch many Fulham matches. Dempsey's influence is just plain impressive.

PS - He's only ever been used as a forward as cover. His numerous managers have almost always preferred him out wide with a lot of room to move centrally.

18. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think that a Dempsey or a player like him (big, experienced, versatile) is very helpful in the league. Arsenal would have a different way to score goals when teams are bunkering.

19. Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I do respect Dempsey quite a bit, but I feel that if he came to Arsenal, he'd be behind a couple of guys who are 9 or so years younger than him (Wenger, as we have seen in the past, is stubborn and biased). Can't imagine he'd want to do that; only reason Rosicky puts up with it is because he lost so much value after his injury and Arsenal were willing to work with him.

Also, if Dempsey came to Arsenal and continued to shoot every time he saw something resembling a goal and turned down passing opportunities to shoot, absolutely no one at Arsenal would want to play with him.

He would go from being the most important player at Fulham to, at most, 8th most important (behind RvP, Vermaelen, Song, Arteta, Koscielny, Szczesny, Sagna, and Wilshere when he's fit).

20. zombier

zombier Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Jersey City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have a problem with this. If anything I cant stand how we have no one who can bang a goal in from distance (yes I'm aware we have scored a few) but there are sooo many times when we have a ton of room to take a crack from 25-30 yards and just pass into another useless cross. I dont think that if Dempsey was in the Arsenal squad that he would take a shot every time he had a chance.

He's only got a year on his contract. I think he can be had for 7-8m which is not a lot. I want to have someone on the bench that truly gives us a plan B when things arent going well.

21. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think this, more than anything, is going to be the biggest problem with dempsey-to-arsenal. would he want to become a small fish in a big pond? we know it worked for arteta because he wanted CL. i don't know where dempsey stands on that.

22. sherbet

sherbet Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Pomona, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Totally agree-- a versatile, hard-working player like Dempsey would be a wonderful addition. I think it's folly to think of Gervinho or even Walcott as real long-term solutions in any position; Ox is still developing; and RVP, if he stays after signing a new deal, may at some point revert to being Mr. Glass. And Dempsey's size would allow us to be a bit more physical, and more direct if needed.

I wonder if AW sees him as anything more than a squad player though, and whether Dempsey would accept that kind of role at this point in his career. With the 2014 WC approaching, and him being arguably the US's biggest star, he needs regular PT.

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It's only recently that a few Belgian players have had some success in the premier league. Before that, there was decades of not having a single player in the league, not counting a handful (Albert, De Bilde briefly, ...) of exceptions. This wasn't because of any anti-Belgian bias, it was just because we had no one who could significantly contribute to one of the premiership teams.

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Omg will u yank spazzos stop churning out page after page of this shit? He is not coming, he doesn't suit our team and isn't good enough for a top 4 club

Lol at the conspiracies about Americans too, remember adu? Eddie Johnson? Flops who were usa talent. Donnovan and keepers are the only decent players u have, that's why they are not in the cl, not because of nationality! Mexico has produced much better outfield talent and they go to cl clubs. If usa players were good, they would be at cl clubs, simple as. Donnovan went to bayern ffs but flopped because he was a puss.

Before u talk about England, I admit we havnt done anything for 16 years or have hardly any world class players. But we have a lot of young talent that arsenal might look at, barkley especially

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ps altidore got many chances and at his best was about as good as a poor Heskey. Produce good players and u will see them at top euro teams