Upcoming Hazard Deal Carefully - The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DutchCane, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Mebe,

Props and will rep, because people pretend that that didn't happen. I still have nightmares of Almunia lumping the ball up to Arshavin at 3'11" and defenders heading the ball away while stifling laughter. What a disastrous period that was. Just cringeworthy.

2. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panic buy.

Wenger did buy Park.

3. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    his form fell apart as soon as the season started that year. His early performances at center forward were actually a boon period for his form that season.

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Really? I seem to remember him playing well at Goodison, and there were the goals at Old Tramshed and Anfield.

Plus, he racked up a ton of points for my fantasy team that year.

5. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    he was awful at Goodison. Was subbed off after 60 or 70 minutes, iirc.

He scored at Old Trafford but didnt do much either.

Anfield was after he became a CF

He got more involved at central forward than he had out wide, imo.

He is the odd player who gets goals and assists but really doesnt play well. He fooled a lot of people with that. It almost makes me wonder if that was the case his first half season at the club too. I know it was like that in the 4 goal Anfield match, and he even admitted it.

and my bad, when I say "boon period for the season," I meant the early season.

6. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think arshavin is just one of those players who looks like shit except for when he has those good plays (or those tricks works) so, as you said, he'll put up the numbers while frustrating the hell out of us the rest of the time. the biggest difference, i think, is that during that special first half season at the club, the good moments just came more often and more regularly where, after that, the period of looking bad became more norm and the results (goals and assists) were sprinkled in.

7. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    right. and we're that team that has always been known for our tendency to try to walk the ball into the net. and then we have teams that park the bus against us . . . and we're boned.

at least unless or until song makes a special pass to van persie who makes a special play to score. but, uh, relying on that to get through is either suicidal or stupid. or both.

the argument that we can't be bothered with players who do not possess world player of the year-level talent and are, thus, not "arsenal quality" is absolutely asinine. we cannot carry 22 "arsenal quality" players because, well, they're going to be rather pissed about playing time. not that we could afford them anyway. there are times when players of lesser talent who could serve or provide needed functions can be contributors and role players. no more, no less.

can i see dempsey "controlling" the game? hell, no. he's limited as hell. but, then, i'm not foreseeing him as somebody i'd stick in either of the central midfield role. and i hope wenger does not, either. can dempsey be the guy who tries to pick up trash goals on the far post from some of those crosses that either walcott or sagna send in where we have only van persie attacking the ball and he has 2 centrebacks marking him out? i think so. we have the virtuosos who can dance, prance and make beautiful passes. i don't want or need that from dempsey. i want some cheap, ugly and unartistic goals from him that may nick us a point or two in ugly games where we dominate the hell out of possessions but can't break through. i'm thoroughly and utterly tired of "we deserve more" post-game interviews. we have a uniquely built team where we, generally, field 3 central midfielders, 1 striker and at least 1 outside attacker ALL capable "controlling the game" and delivering killer final balls, i think we can afford ONE outfielder who is just a tad less capable.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    if u think he is good enough, that's u

i don't rate him, but admit he is a good goalscorer from 'midfield' where he starts in an advanced system

he wouldn't score half those goals with rvp though, he usually works off a target striker in the space between attack and midfield but rvp is much more technical....could he read the game arsenal play?

9. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally think Dempsey is a smoke screen. It is an effort to make LFC buy him. We will get Podolski and some bloke no one has ever heard of. The RvP to Madrid rumors are stirring up again and I think he leaves at the end of the season.

10. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so the Korea leg to this summers Asia tour has been cancelled...itll be China and Hong Kong only. I believe an EPL club will be met in China while Gunners will play the top team in the HK system.

take it as a sign that Park is all but gone this summer.

11. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    City and Madrid will be in the papers ALL summer, especially Marca will
    have a RvP snapshot photo-shopped of him walking around
    with Rosetta Stone (Español version) under his arm.

I swear if I didn't receive proper Transfer Training from the OG, Rick, I would
    go absolutely mad every Summer, LOL.

12. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My money is on RVP staying.

13. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I feel the same way, but we have 15 points left to play for. IF results go the worst way they could, he's gone. If we hold onto third, then I think he stays unless he lured to a place like Madrid. I don't see him going to another premier league club. United? Citeh?

14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. As much it was a foregone conclusion that Cesc would leave, I have a strong feeling that RVP will stay.

15. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    RVP is staying

16. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think RVP is staying if we invest the amount of money currently being theoretically thrown around.

If we spend a moderate amount we will be title contenders and he will want to stay.

17. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Anyone who had reservation about Wenger and his capabilities as a manager should give it up.

If Wenger can do THIS with this crew of players (possibly his poorest team in a decade), think about what he can do when he has his dream team once again.

RVP knows this and he isn't going anywhere. Its going to be nice when he gets Podolski by his side.

18. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    disagree.

with a few minor tweaks this could be the best Arsenal side since 07/08.

as is, there's no way this is a worse side than 08/09 or 06/07

19. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a pretty strong team when everyone is fit, but not everybody has been fit. Wenger deserves credit for shepherding this team through some pretty tough times.

I think the most impressive trait of this year's team has been its ability to respond when backed into a corner. By and large, this team has answered the bell every time its character has been tested. This trend began with the Udinese games and has continued with wins against Chelsea, Tottenham, and, most recently, Man City. The fightback against Milan is another good example. Yes, we crapped the bed once or twice (first Man U game, first Milan game), but by and large this squad has been great in "must-win" situations.

I think that is a credit to Wenger, but also to the players. RVP as captain along with the return of Vermaelen, the arrival of Arteta, and the continued development of Szczesny, Song, and Koscielny has made a big difference. Cesc is a good player, but I question his backbone and his ability to be "the man" for a team. He seems more comfortable in a supporting role. Overall, I think this year's team is grittier and calmer with a lot more resolve. We are the ones scoring the late winners, rather than allowing junk teams to get points they don't deserve through late meltdowns, like we did last season (see: Tottenham games, infamous 4-4 game against Newcastle).

I like this new direction and I think potential new signings like Podolski and our developing youngsters like Chamberlain are cut from this same mentally-tough, determined cloth. I think we can do big things next season if the squad stays intact and we make 1-2 key additions.

20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    this is what I said in the match thread about this year's side

21. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    06/07

-------Lehmann-------
    Eboue-Toure-Gallas-Clichy
    Hleb--Cesc--Gilberto-Rosicky
    ---Van Persie--Henry---

Subs: Almunia, Djourou, Senderos, Flamini, Ljungberg, Baptista, Adebayor

Not a bad looking squad really, injuries to Henry, Van Persie and Gallas were obvious issues, along with a lack of depth at fullback. Did Justin Hoyte really have 29 starts that season? Not good.

08/09

--------Almunia-------
    Sagna-Toure-Gallas-Clichy
    Walcott-Denilson-Cesc-Nasri
    ---Van Persie--Adebayor--

Subs: Fabianski, Djourou, Silvestre, Eboue, Song, Diaby, Bendtner

Hmm, that's pretty weak, injury plagued as well. Denilson started 47 matches, Silvestre started 21.

I'd say 08/09 is the weaker of the two on paper.

22. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    While I'm all in favor of praising Wenger the maddening thing is, as it has been for the past 3 seasons, how fuhkin' garbage the other so called top teams are and yet we have not been able to take advantage of them faltering. It's really disheartening to think that some minor tweaks could've given us a trophy the past 3 yrs. Because if anyone believes that Manutd is a vintage side, or has been such for the past 3 yrs theyre smoking. The fact that they suck big donkey gonads without Scholes tells me all I need to know about their quality. BTW Their young players aren't so good now are they? smh

23. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but look at how much turnover we've had as well. From the 06/07 team i listed, only Van Persie, Rosicky and Djourou are still around (please don't bring up Manny) ;).

From 08/09, the only starters still here are Sagna, Van Persie and Walcott. Four other starters were sold to Man Citeh alone!

24. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    fair point. by the same token, if you do not think he is good enough, that's you. :)

right, i agree that van persie is not a classic "target striker". on the other hand, he is, by this point, quite solid as a target man and, most importantly, unlike most classic "target striker", he possesses a ridiculous amount of vision and skill to find his teammates in open spaces.

think about this: if van persie can find walcott like he did for those two goals against wolves, would he be able to find dempsey? and, if dempsey can score goals when being fed by what fulham trots out, what will he be able to do when he gets chances gift wrapped by the likes of van persie, song, and wilshere?

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Where would you play him? It seems to me the role he is currently filling for Fulham is the equivalent of a point forward in basketball. Which is sort of the role Van Persie has on the Arsenal team. Now assuming Persie stays, I cannot believe you are suggesting he takes his place. So that means probably moving him to one of the wings. To replace who? Walcott has come along nicely in recent weeks/months and there is no reason not to believe that Oxlade-Chamberlain could not continue his progress in his sophomore season.

From the outside looking in, it seems to me that Arsenal has far more pressing concerns than what Dempsey could give them. I think your n°1 priority is adding depth to the central axis, and specifically someone who can double as a CB/CM cover. => Vertonghen.