Unofficial Cardiff City Thread

Discussion in 'Championship Clubs' started by cowtown, Jun 11, 2007.

1. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wanted to start this thread to have it here. What do you think of the new stadium plan? Groundsharing with the Blues? How long will Chopra be with the team? Will the mighty Bluebirds ever find a way to be eligible for European tournaments? Which was a scarier aftermath: Sam's Wimbledon, or Pete's Leeds? Anything and everything else?

2. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Souless, more likely to be my living room cause its bigger and has more seats, two more years maybe just one if its as good as the last, not unless the FAW decide they prefer big money to being petty and put Cardiff and Swansea etc. back in the Welsh Cup or make the Premier Cup the UEFA Cup entrant, Wimbledon, I think I just killed the thread :(

3. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty new to the scene, but I still don't understand this pissing match between the FAW and the English-system clubs.

Doesn't the FAW realize that it would do much more harm than good to Welsh football to drag Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham, kicking and screaming, into the Welsh pyramid? Hell, IS that what they really want, or do they just want to flex their muscles?

4. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    They don't want to drag us into the Welsh pyramid. They didn't even attempt to force the Football League three into the League of Wales back in 1992 and they let then-Conference Merthyr stay on appeal.

5. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Fairly standard and middle of the road.

I'll be writing death threats if the word 'Blues' is spelled out on our seats.

15 months at the most.

Yes, via England.

Sam Hammam wasn't responsible for the move to Milton Keynes, but he is a manipulative son of a whore who I'll be happy to never see at a Cardiff match ever again.

Peter's learned his lesson... hopefully.

And if you don't mind me asking, why Cardiff City?

6. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few reasons. None of them huge, but added up they're enough to feel like I picked the right team for me:

-I became interested in soccer, and being int he states, it is just so much easier and more natural to follow the British teams.
    -I picked up my interest in the game from my father in law, who is from India, lived in London, and has family in Wolverhampton, but is a Man U fan, and that just wasn't happening. Give me SOME underdog element and a team I can be proud to say I was a fan through thick and thin, even if the origins of that affection can't be traced back very far.
    -My family name is one that can be traced back to Wales, though the spelling has been anglicized.
    -I would love to see an "outsider" team bust through to the Premiership, and who is more an outsider than the Welsh team playing in the old stadium with terraces, with the fans with the bad reputation?
    -After University, I backpacked through the British Isles for a few weeks, and I spent several days in Cardiff. I really enjoyed the city, was treated very well, and thought the place was somewhere I'd like to come back to.
    -Swansea seemed dirty and gross and I was bored while I was there.

So there you go. I'm not spending thousands of dollars on them or anything, and I put up with my wife's fondness for Spurs, but I have developed an abiding affection for the Bluebirds, and I can't see myself truly following any other team other than my local boys, FC Dallas.

7. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Ha! I think I love you. :D

How easy is it to follow us over there? I could be wrong, but doesn't one of your sport channels (Setanta maybe?) cover the occasional Championship match? Have you got Cardiff City World for radio coverage, match highlights, etcetera? And how long have our club made you suffer every weekend?

Sorry for being nosey, I just didn't realise us little clubs had fans from all the way from Texas. ;)

8. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Setanta does cover the Championship some, but I'm with the the Satellite provider that doesn't offer Setanta. I follow the team mostly through icwales.com and the BBC Cardiff City website; it feels very old-fashioned, but it's fun. I get the odd highlight on Sky Sports Through the Night, which airs on Fox soccer Channel, and I got constant updates on the first Tottenham FA Cup match from my Father-in-law, who had Fox Soccer before I did. I think Cardiff CIty World will be an early birthday present for the coming season.

I've only been following the team since about October of last year, but everybody has to start somewhere, right? I was optimistic that I'd be watching a lot more of them this year on the Premiership coverage, but maybe in 2008-09.

We are going to a wedding in Wolverhampton this September, and then the wife and I are going to travel a bit ourselves and maybe take in a match or two. I have humbly suggested that Cardiff City should be one of the teams.

9. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Try to make it a little less obvious that you haven't been following us for long! ;) :D

10. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh.

So anyway... It looks like Thompson will be back. Did you see anything in him last season that makes you think he might actually be a scoring threat in 07-08? It doesn't look good for bringing in anybody flashy, with the stadium costs going up, and the club already missing out on Eastwood and that guy who signed with Stoke City.

11. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbie Fowler? Such an odd move. Never a dull moment with this club. Thoughts?
    http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0600...objectid=19414693&siteid=50082-name_page.html

12. jiggerjake

jiggerjake New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    so who did fowler end up signing with?

only a few days til the old yeovil match if anyone knows where itll be broadcast online or where i can find highlights, holler them this way please :)

13. jiggerjake

jiggerjake New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    also aaron ramsey, any thoughts on him? his potential move to chelsea? and us getting that other young sinclair guy in return? pretty g ood deal if you ask me

14. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fowler's signing with us.
    http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0600...objectid=19499387&siteid=50082-name_page.html

Just personally, I think we should hold onto ramsey long enough to get SOME on-field return for him. From what I gather, we have a good academy, and we can probably make a lot more selling him (which I think will inevitably happen) AFTER he's had a good season or two with the first team.

15. jiggerjake

jiggerjake New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    i would agree with that but sinclair is just as young only a little less raw so getting him for the year or two and another mill for ramsey and i wouldnt complain...then we would have 6 mill from this and the chopra deal that we did not have before, as both fowler and sinclair came on free transfers, we still have enough money to quickly grab another player to complete the puzzle.

fowler, sinclair (both of them, trevor and chelsea's stud ) plus another six million man would give us quite the premiership push

16. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF they don't sink it all into the Stadium.;)

17. jiggerjake

jiggerjake New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    touche, either way, i couldnt be more ecstatic about signing fowler, i love it. There are n00bs over in the Sydny FC forum talking about how they would still love to have him after his 2 years with us are up...WE HAVE HIM NOW MWHAHAHAHHA

18. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Fowler is to us what Beckham is to the MLS in a sense. It will awaken the sleeping giant that is CCFC's support and get the fans down to Ninian Park. The club have the chance to make alot of money out of this move through the sale of merchandise. In town today I saw people buying the Beckham Galaxy shirt, in Cardiff FFS. Some ready made Cardiff 'Fowler 8' shirts should be stocked in all major retailers in South Wales, we would make a fortune. This acquisition could pay for itself.

BLUEBIRDS!

19. jiggerjake

jiggerjake New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    amen

20. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Yes, the "stadium".

We sold the rights to the club shop to Joma two years ago, so they'd get a very large chunk of that money indeed. A bit of a cock-up on the board's part, really, since Joma are so effin' inept that they can't even find a decent quality glue to stick the sponsor onto replica kits, but whatever.

21. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    No foresight whatsoever by Cardiff City again. The same with the stadium situation of them wanting to make it only 25,000 capacity while sharing with the egg chasing scum. 30,000 minimum is a must as it will allow for our supprot to swell and will cost less then expanding to 30k in the future, with the ultimate dream of a 60,000 capacity ground.

22. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the groundshare is a good way to bring in some extra cash, as long as the Blues are a TENANT and not a partner. Of course, here in the US, my local side, FC Dallas, groundshare, in a manner of speaking, with two High School gridiron teams, a second-rate lacrosse tournament, and any touring musical act that will come out to the suburbs. I may therefore be biased in thinking that one rugby club is not so bad.

I also tend to think that the capacity issue is a case of a well-considered conservative decision. There are few things worse for atmosphere and looking "big-time" than a crowd nowhere near the stadium's capacity.

23. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Ground sharing will bring in very little money indeed and also ruin the pitch, not to forget that i'll have some smelly follower of the Nazi code using my seat when the Blosers are there. As for the capacity is it either conservative or naive. Personally I think it is ludicrous and pointless to move as Ninian is 22,000 as it is. We might as well of redeveloped it for half of the price and have a 20,000 capacity (Taking into account the placement of seats in the Bob Bank and Grange End compensated with seats in the corners and extension of the Canton End). If it were a 30K ground and we got an average of 20 thousand, it would be much different from 20K in a 25K ground. I think it's a short sighted move which will cost alot more money in the long run should we expand, bare in mind the cost of construction is going up all the time. I hope we average 18,000 this year to show the board what a big mistake they are making because if we can get that number to that relic on Sloepr Road, goodness knows how many will go to a brand new ground.

24. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I won't argue much, as I am here in the US, and I have to support my local club first, but I also support Cardiff with my time, energy, and money. I haven't been a fan very long, but seeing the results last winter and spring made me understand what British fans mean when they say they're "gutted," and it made me sure that I won't truly care about the results of any Premiership match until Cardiff City is one of the clubs playing in it.

Getting back on topic, I hope that you're right that the attendance makes the board look foolish, but honestly, with his history, I'd rather see Peter Ridsdale err on the side of being cheap and conservative. Are Leeds going to even be allowed to start the season?

25. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I think only God knows what is happening at Leeds. Such a messy situation, Ken Bates selling the club then re-buying it, I won't touch it with a 12 foot pole at the moment as it is too confusing. That club is up sh!t creek without a paddle

cowtown, how did you come to support the great club that is Cardiff City?
    BTW you mind if we nick Juan Toja to partner Robbie Fowler up front?:p