UNM Lobos [MPSF] 2012 [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by tolstoy, Jun 1, 2012.

1. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hated playing on windy days.
    Sometimes it's to your favor and sometimes not - even in the same half of the game.

2. tolstoy

tolstoy Member

Nov 17, 2007
    #Lobos 11: Rodriguez (GK) Gibbons Campbell Rogers Sandoval Kafari Calderon Venter Rossi McKendry Smith

no stream yet

3. unnamedsource

unnamedsource Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Victor back in goal after sitting the conference championship game and his 1 game suspension. Hasn't allowed a goal in last 7 games

4. FLaves

FLaves Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Sandoval gets the score. 1-0 Lobos

tolstoy repped this.
  5. FLaves

FLaves Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Sergio Cambell, center back for UConn out with an injury.

6. HakanGS

HakanGS Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Texas & Turkiye
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    The stream has been freezing a lot... is it me?

7. HakanGS

HakanGS Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Texas & Turkiye
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    Lobos lost 1-2 in the 2nd OT unfortunately :-(. Well, they will do better next year, hopefully.

8. tolstoy

tolstoy Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Long walk helped a bit. Time to turn the page after 2-1 double OT loss to UCONN. Regrets and coulda/woulda/shouldas from earlier in the year against Air Force that put them on the road for this round and for near misses today aside, I'm proud of the way the Lobos took it to them all day playing forward looking Lobo soccer. Interesting to hear the announcers say repeatedly that they are not accustomed to visiting teams playing that way in Storrs.

Now to see which of the six seniors get invites to the MLS Combine and sniffs in the drafts. Each of them will be missed greatly.

Travis Campbell - solid but smallish for central defender. Also played right back in PDL. Uncertain on combine and draft. May play somewhere next year

Nik Robson - may get a sniff based on his career body of work but a part timer in his senior transfer year at UNM

Victor Rodriguez - been on GK watch lists. Likely gets combine invite. Unsure on draft

Levi Rossi - had a great career at UNM. Unlikely to get invites. May play somewhere next year

Devon Sandoval - will be invited to combine, probably 2nd round draft pick

Blake Smith - will be invited to combine, likely a 1st round pick if he shows well there

Another thing to look at is whether Kyle Venter gets a Generation Addidas contract offer and leaves after this year. There's been talk but no one knows for sure. It's his team if he comes back.

Spring/Returning team will have some major contributions to replace but we know the following if everyone comes back:

Returning experienced:
    Rogers - Baldinger
    Calderon - Kafari - Mora-Delgado - Robledo - McKendry
    Gibbons - Venter - Miele
    Poblete

Returning untested:

Gurule, Chris 6-4/190 Forward/Midfielder FR-HS Niwot HS Longmont, Colo.
    Wehan, Christopher 5-9/145 Forward FR-HS Aliso Niguel HS Laguna Niguel, Calif.
    Klepac, Charles 5-10/175 Forward/Midfielder FR-HS Farmington HS Flora Vista, N.M.
    Harris, Joe 6-0/180 Midfielder FR-HS Kapiti College Wellington, New Zealand
    Dye, Josh 6-2/180 Midfielder/Defender RS FR-RS La Cueva HS Albuquerque, N.M.
    McGovern, Riley 6-2/176 Defender SO-1VL Farmington HS Farmington, N.M.
    Phillips, Casey 5-11/165 Defender RS FR-RS Corona Del Sol HS Tempe, Ariz.
    Rochowski, Nicholas 6-3/180 Defender FR-HS Flower Mound HS Flower Mound, Texas
    Lane, Javier 6-1/175 Goalkeeper RS SO-1VL/RS Eldorado HS Albuquerque, N.M.

Time to hybernate for the most part until the spring. Vamos Lobos!

9. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    I wrote something similar in the Akron thread, but I can sincerely say that from what I saw of this year's New Mexico team, it was another impressive piece of your growing tradition (wish today's feed had been better). College soccer has come a long way in the past ten years, and the Lobos have been one of the great new additions to the landscape.

10. unnamedsource

unnamedsource Member

Jun 29, 2007
    No 2013 thread yet.. No signing day thread yet. But Lobos announce their recruiting class today and this seems to be the best place to put it for now. http://www.golobos.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/020613aan.html Anybody have any input on any of these guys? Not too familiar w/ the HS soccer scene in general.

Something that jumped out to me right away.. They picked up Michael Lisch, GK from Wake Forest. He's coming to UNM for just his senior season to presumably compete for the starting job with returner Patrick Pobelete.