University Students Ignorant of Holocaust

Discussion in 'History' started by Owen Gohl, Oct 18, 2013.

1. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not to disagree with the overall points made on the Indian genocides or the slave trade, but if the Holocaust was too quickly happening for anybody really to put a stop to it there could not have been the few acts of individual heroism that tried to stop it (at least on a local level). I understand why there was so few resistance left within German society - the dismantling of the communist and social-democratic parties and the workers' unions utterly destroyed half of the political opposition (within one year after the Nazis came to power); the other opposition parties were also outlawed very quickly (5 years before crystal night, which should be considered the final warning shot for Jews to get out, the Wannsee conference was even later than that). Resistance to the Nazis could not only destroy you, but also those you loved. But the acts of heroism shown by the Scholl sibblings, the churches (stopping euthanasia and saving quite a number of converted Jews), people like Mr Schindler and quite a few of others show that resistance, or at least the saving of life was possible, and any German who was an adult at the time and living in Germany should ask himself why he did not do more.
    Asking 'what makes doe Holocaust different' should be answered with the ongoing of ordinary life of much of Germany and the resistance in other countries showing that more could have been done to prevent it, as well as the scale, the integration of Jews into German society before the 3rd Reich (as opposed to Polish or Russian society, for example), and the speed it was carried out with. And the ties German culture had (and has) with basically every Western culture, compared to Cambodian or Rwandan society.

2. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I am late and all, but - it's also somewhat of a myth that Hitler was all-powerful, or that only a handful of people were responsible for the holocaust. There were millions who agreed with the Nazis, and millions who thought "well, it's a bit on the extreme side", but where largely indifferent because it only affected Jews, Poles, gays and other people they didn't like anyway.

And the holocaust is basically the result of centuries of anti-semitism in general, and specifically of decades of organized anti-semitism in modern Germany. The sad thing is simply that people were at least as likely to just shrug and think "It's just Jews anyway" as they were to be deeply upset but afraid to speak up.

3. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I believe The Blaze is named for the young stripper whom Glenn Beck has never denied killing in 1990.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree our schools in general, public and private (i've attended both), don't do enough to teach history; but its also true that kids dont pay much attention to what is being taught. I went to great schools, and personally I dont remember learning very much about the holocaust in them, beyond the very basic outline. Most of what I know about the holocaust and WW2 in general I've learned since school days. But, frankly, most things I know of whatever subject I feel like I've learned since leaving school. The students in this video are really only guilty of being ignorant kids, which is true of most kids.

5. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isnt it also a new pot bar in Denver?

JBigjake repped this.
  6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    If not, it should be! :thumbsup:

7. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    It's difficult to compare genocides. What is worse? Sheer numbers? Percentage of the target group? Length of the persecution? More systematic? etc.?
    Suffice it to say that, in this country, the number of native Americans has been estimated at 3 million pre-Columbian & now, while the forced importation of some 655,000 African slaves has led to >30 million African-Americans today.

8. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who cares. Honestly their are a dozen other genocides in history that nobody knows about. They can learn about the holocaust anytime pop in the one thousand movies that have created on it.

9. KochamVistula

KochamVistula Red Card

Jan 10, 2014
    Roosevelt was told first hand depiction and even photos of what was occuring but he openly (to prove a point) changed the subject.

If the material to be taught is how the overwhelming majority of Westetn society allowed it to happen, then fine. Beating a dead Nazi horse is obv overdone.

10. KochamVistula

KochamVistula Red Card

Jan 10, 2014
    Also is Eisenhower's death camp that resulted in starvation of 1 Million + Germans also to be taught?

11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Plus that treaty he signed with the space aliens that allows them to impregnate our women, mutilate our cattle, and plant chips in all our noses...:mad:

12. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention his efforts to reincarnate Rasputin, who would then open a gateway through which demons could enter our world.

13. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Did the Senate ever ratify the treaty?

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    They had to or be sent to the death camps. It was a double secret ratification, but the evidence is all in 'The Shining."

song219 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I guess that really depends if you think the deaths of the Indians was a planned action, with the intention of killing the population or not. The overwhelming majority are apparently supposed to have died from disease. They weren't rounded up and murdered.

There's just something far more sinister about a systematic plot to wipe out an entire race for no gain whatsoever, beyond wishing them to not exist.

There are actually loads of genocides/ethnic cleaning cases in modern history, but none on the same scale.

I think the "intent" angle is one which causes a lot of controversy. There's often a feeling that using a too broad definition of genocide is political, with those using it wishing to bracket too many actions "unfairly" with the worst excesses of man. Manslaughter is a terrible act, after all, but it isn't murder.

One other reason the holocaust gets a lot of mentions is that it is so well documented from contemporary first-hand sources. There are a large number of people in western society who were either there in person, or have friends/relatives they know personally who died. That's going to make it much more raw.

16. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    After I graduated, my high school did teach the Holocaust. The teacher who did so has passed away, unfortunately.